Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solving the REAL Problem
(11-07-2017, 05:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Plus PA is the assistant HC.

Have a hard time believing he doesn't pick his own Lineman especially when he has said so himself, he had us trade up for Blodine.

Like i said in the other thread it seems like Marv and PA sabotage themselves for heck sake.

Well most teams have scouts do the leg work and then coaches kind of pick and choose. 
Bengals have so few scouts, coaches are very hands on. So it leads to a TON of bias. 
Coaching and scouting/evaluating are so wildly different and so heavily involved, there's no way you should reasonably expect one to do the other. 
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 05:42 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Well most teams have scouts do the leg work and then coaches kind of pick and choose. 
Bengals have so few scouts, coaches are very hands on. So it leads to a TON of bias. 
Coaching and scouting/evaluating are so wildly different and so heavily involved, there's no way you should reasonably expect one to do the other. 

Agreed, another underlying problem i seem to forget about from time to time.

The scouting department needs to get a bit bigger. I agree with what Belichick says that there can be too many minds,
but there can also be too little lol
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 05:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agreed, another underlying problem i seem to forget about from time to time.

The scouting department needs to get a bit bigger. I agree with what Belichick says that there can be too many minds,
but there can also be too little lol

you don't need 100 guys in your war room come draft day, but you need to be able to watch as many games of as many guys as you can in detail. A coach can't do that between the end of the season and before the draft. That's why scouts are so important. 
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 02:39 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Akili = great in college = Mike Brown + Shit develop + Dave Shula as a HC = Failure.
Shula was gone already (Fired in 1996). It was Bruce Coslet that was HC for his first 1.5 seasons.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 05:55 PM)Ravage Wrote: Shula was gone already (Fired in 1996). It was Bruce Coslet that was HC for his first 1.5 seasons.

To be fair, Akili was only great for like 1 season in college. A lot of experts knocked the Bengals for drafting him because they weren't convinced that Akili was anything more than a one-year-wonder. Clearly, those experts were right.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 05:57 PM)PhilHos Wrote: To be fair, Akili was only great for like 1 season in college. A lot of experts knocked the Bengals for drafting him because they weren't convinced that Akili was anything more than a one-year-wonder. Clearly, those experts were right.

PLEASE don't think I'm defending Akili at all. I just knew as soon as I read his post that Shula was long gone by that point. Even though I was at UK at the time, I wanted McNabb in that draft, and if not him then Couch (I know, homerism). Once they were both gone it was Mike Ditka's insanity or bust. Sadly as we all know, we chose bust...literally.

There are three drafts where I got really mad at who we took in round 1.
1992 taking Klingler: I was 11, at a bar with my dad on the way to a White Sox game (or coming back from a card show, can't remember which). When the pick came in I started screaming at the T.V's in the bar "WHAT?! Take Troy Vincent! We don't need a QB we've got Boomer!" Every head in the bar turned and stared at me in confusion (Bears fans)

1997 taking Reinard Wilson: I was at work at Subway, pick came in over the radio. I started swearing up a storm in the back "We're taking a DE who we're going to convert to LB? With this staff? This is going to go badly!" (F bombs omitted for the children) Damn near got fired that day. Think it took my manager about a half hour to get me to relax.

1999 taking Akili: See above.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 05:25 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: It's hard to say because only one guy on the OL consistently has any  Hilarious

I'm genuinely worried about Fisher and this illness. It's clearly something substantial. Marv said he's dealt with it all year and there was concern about his weightloss last year.

Marvin's statement about the seriousness of it was curious...

“It’s not as serious as I would think it is. Yet, it took him out of the game yesterday.”

But then again, most of Marvin's statements are curious. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 06:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Marvin's statement about the seriousness of it was curious...

“It’s not as serious as I would think it is. Yet, it took him out of the game yesterday.”

But then again, most of Marvin's statements are curious.  Whatever

Was he giggling or not...that's key
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 05:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely agree with you 100%.  Leverage and proper angle (razor sharp fundamentals) can mask lack of strength.  Also, as you say, if you're going to run zone blocking scheme, use it correctly.  If you're going to try a more basic blocking scheme, get road graders.....not tweeners and "athletes".

That said, I don't like the run blocking technique used in Cincy at all.

And look what just popped up...

[Image: DOD4x4IWsAE0uQP.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Latest PFF O-line rankings:

Whether you like/agree with PFF rankings or not, it's hard to argue these if you've watched every game. This line isn't just bad, it's absolutely putrid.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 05:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely agree with you 100%.  Leverage and proper angle (razor sharp fundamentals) can mask lack of strength.  Also, as you say, if you're going to run zone blocking scheme, use it correctly.  If you're going to try a more basic blocking scheme, get road graders.....not tweeners and "athletes".

That said, I don't like the run blocking technique used in Cincy at all.

Rock On One Million % agree  :andy:

I don't pretend to be an O-line guru or blocking expert by any stretch. But the mini-skirt passive stand up and play patty cake while just trying to get in the way blocking on run plays makes me so mad I wanna slap an old lady......almost.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 07:09 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Latest PFF O-line rankings:

Whether you like/agree with PFF rankings or not, it's hard to argue these if you've watched every game. This line isn't just bad, it's absolutely putrid.
Holy shitowski, you mean there are 7 teams worse than us pass blocking??
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 07:43 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Holy shitowski, you mean there are 7 teams worse than us pass blocking??

The even more shocking thing is technically Bodine is our best lineman? WT actual F?
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 07:09 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Latest PFF O-line rankings:

Putrid indeed !

Like a bag full of vomit pulled from a rotting carcass found in a cesspool.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 05:55 PM)Ravage Wrote: Shula was gone already (Fired in 1996). It was Bruce Coslet that was HC for his first 1.5 seasons.

The 90's were such a blur of failure, I get the timeline a little fuzzy at times. Shula, Klingler (who was also great in college), Akili, Coslet, the one thing that was always the same was Mike Brown playing the role of GM.

This team's failures are due to poor coaching, poor scouting and really, really bad player development. And all of that can be tied back to the owner and GM who in this case...is the same person.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 01:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree, so why is the notoriously frugal FO wasting money on a guy to coach these players that can't get the job done?

Cost more to replace him probably.

He's been here so long, he works on the cheap and to get a real talent to coach them would cost real $$$.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 06:01 PM)Ravage Wrote: PLEASE don't think I'm defending Akili at all. I just knew as soon as I read his post that Shula was long gone by that point. Even though I was at UK at the time, I wanted McNabb in that draft, and if not him then Couch (I know, homerism). Once they were both gone it was Mike Ditka's insanity or bust. Sadly as we all know, we chose bust...literally.

There are three drafts where I got really mad at who we took in round 1.
1992 taking Klingler: I was 11, at a bar with my dad on the way to a White Sox game (or coming back from a card show, can't remember which). When the pick came in I started screaming at the T.V's in the bar "WHAT?! Take Troy Vincent! We don't need a QB we've got Boomer!" Every head in the bar turned and stared at me in confusion (Bears fans)

1997 taking Reinard Wilson: I was at work at Subway, pick came in over the radio. I started swearing up a storm in the back "We're taking a DE who we're going to convert to LB? With this staff? This is going to go badly!" (F bombs omitted for the children) Damn near got fired that day. Think it took my manager about a half hour to get me to relax.

1999 taking Akili: See above.

LOL.....I see we're on the same Bungals timeline.....although I wasn't miffed over Wilson, being a Noles fan......but yeah, that didn't work out so hot.

I wasn't very happy this last draft, or the one prior either.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 08:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Putrid indeed !

Like a bag full of vomit pulled from a rotting carcass found in a cesspool.

Kinda reminds of the time a turkey vulture vomited dead deer on my car. Vomit is bad enough. But, vomiting road kill onto your car is next level f'd up.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 05:43 PM)Wyche Wrote: LOL.....I see we're on the same Bungals timeline.....although I wasn't miffed over Wilson, being a Noles fan......but yeah, that didn't work out so hot.

I wasn't very happy this last draft, or the one prior either.

I wasn't either, but I've mellowed a bit with age I guess. That or I'm just used to the Bengals being the Bengals. For years I wanted a 1st round CB since we'd never had one. Then Marv got addicted to them and it almost turned into 'Anything BUT a CB in rd 1'. W.Jax is impressing me so far though. 
Reply/Quote