Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Centers to watch in bowl games over the next few days
Prospect, School, Projected Round, Bowl Game, Time

Ryan Kelly, Alabama 2nd, Cotton Bowl (Thursday 8 PM) 
Nick Martin, Notre Dame 2nd, Fiesta Bowl  (Friday 1 PM) 
Jack Allen, Michigan State 3rd, Cotton Bowl  (Thursday 8 PM) 
Max Tuerk, USC 3rd - 4th round, Holiday Bowl (Wednesday/tonight 10:30 PM) 
Dan Voltz, Wisconsin 3rd - 4th round, Holiday Bowl (Wednesday/tonight 10:30 PM)  Forgot he had a season ending knee injury and is a Jr. and may not declare. Too bad - after Zeitler, I believe in Wisconsin as a good place to go for OL. 

Edit: Added in Max Tuerk

Edit 2: Fixed Voltz, who won't play tonight

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If any of those guys are sitting on top of the Bengals' draft board when their turn comes up, they will be drafted. Otherwise, it seems unlikely.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 02:18 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Prospect, School, Projected Round, Bowl Game, Time

Ryan Kelly, Alabama 2nd, Cotton Bowl (Thursday 8 PM) 
Nick Martin, Notre Dame 2nd, Fiesta Bowl  (Friday 1 PM) 
Jack Allen, Michigan State 3rd, Cotton Bowl  (Thursday 8 PM) 
Dan Voltz, Wisconsin 3rd - 4th round, Holiday Bowl (Wednesday/tonight 10:30 PM) 

Don't know any of those guys specifically but I would hope that, if we draft a C, he is a beast at the point of attack, a run mauler.  NT's seem to have been murdering our run game all year long.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 02:53 PM)McC Wrote: Don't know any of those guys specifically but I would hope that, if we draft a C, he is a beast at the point of attack, a run mauler.  NT's seem to have been murdering our run game all year long.

Watch Jack Allen for Michigan State tomorrow night. CBS Sports has him going 138th overall (late 4th round) and Walter Football describes him as a 3rd -5th round prospect. 

Reply/Quote
Two centers not mentioned, i don't know if they have played their bowl games or not are..

Evan Boehm, Missouri, might be the strongest center in the draft. Senior Bowl invite

Graham Glasgow, Michigan, East/West invite.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 02:53 PM)McC Wrote: Don't know any of those guys specifically but I would hope that, if we draft a C, he is a beast at the point of attack, a run mauler.  NT's seem to have been murdering our run game all year long.

Evan Boehm
Pure raw power on the poa.
Kind of stubby and won't wow you with his blocking in space but if you want a guy who can move another human being off the LOS, he's your guy
Reply/Quote
It seem likes there does need to be some changes made on the interior. They messed around with Boling at C a couple years ago, I wouldn't be shocked to see that happen again. Especially with Fisher and Ced on the roster now. They said that they would play their best 5, next year it very easily could be some different guys in new places.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals are really true about taking BPA in the draft no matter what, then I'm really hoping that center finds its way to BPA. Bodine is painful to watch.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 05:24 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Evan Boehm
Kind of stubby and won't wow you with his blocking in space but if you want a guy who can move another human being off the LOS, he's your guy

That is what we need, a C who can stop a 3-4 NT in his tracks and turn him a bit on the running plays.  Who cares if he can block in space, that is what Clint Boling is for.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We would be better served signing one in FA than we would be starting all over and drafting one. We don't have the time to wait for one to develop. Best one to go after would be Mack, he's under contract, but he has the option to opt-out of it.
If they don't go after one in FA, then they won't draft one.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2015, 12:48 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: We would be better served signing one in FA than we would be starting all over and drafting one. We don't have the time to wait for one to develop. Best one to go after would be Mack, he's under contract, but he has the option to opt-out of it.

I think many of us are fully expecting the team to just stick with Bodine, for at least 1 more season. We're just hoping that the Bengals open their eyes and look to see if there's a better option available in the offseason.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2015, 12:48 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: We would be better served signing one in FA than we would be starting all over and drafting one. We don't have the time to wait for one to develop. Best one to go after would be Mack, he's under contract, but he has the option to opt-out of it.

A top free agent C would cost more that the team typically likes to spend on free agents.  Though it makes more sense to get a proven player, already accustomed to NFL play, this team likes to draft and develop.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 05:24 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Evan Boehm

Sound a whole lot like what we have.

I'm starting to lean the direction of some of the longer/quicker Centers (Tuerk/ Pocic)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2016, 08:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sound a whole lot like what we have.

I'm starting to lean the direction of some of the longer/quicker Centers (Tuerk/ Pocic)

Not even close. 
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2016, 09:27 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Not even close. 

Okey Dokey. I must be thinking of a different stubby, powerful Center. 

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2016, 10:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Okey Dokey. I must be thinking of a different stubby, powerful Center. 

Ours isn't powerful, unless you plan on moving a bench press to the 50 yard line.

Boehm actually has functional strength.
Bodine does not.

Boehm can move 300+ lbs men from point a to point b against their will.
Bodine....can get blown up and ruin a handful of plays every week. 
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2016, 10:59 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Ours isn't powerful, unless you plan on moving a bench press to the 50 yard line.

Boehm actually has functional strength.
Bodine does not.

Boehm can move 300+ lbs men from point a to point b against their will.
Bodine....can get blown up and ruin a handful of plays every week. 

I get that you don't want a favorite compared to a hated, but the draft profiles are similar. To say the 2 are "not even close" may not speak to objectivity. I like Boehm and would love to take him later in the draft; however, using the terms stubby and powerful could easily describe either of the two.

That's why I'm taking a look at the longer more athletic Centers. Long and athletic cannot be used to describe Boehm or Bodine; however, stubby and powerful can. It's just you consider Boehm more powerful. 

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2016, 11:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I get that you don't want a favorite compared to a hated, but the draft profiles are similar. To say the 2 are "not even close" may not speak to objectivity. I like Boehm and would love to take him later in the draft; however, using the terms stubby and powerful could easily describe either of the two.

That's why I'm taking a look at the longer more athletic Centers. Long and athletic cannot be used to describe Boehm or Bodine; however, stubby and powerful can. It's just you consider Boehm more powerful. 

If that's how you want to compare them that's fine, but Bodine was never that powerful on the field. 
He was always just average at best. 

Boehm has some of the best pure power from the center position in a long time. 
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 02:18 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Prospect, School, Projected Round, Bowl Game, Time

Ryan Kelly, Alabama 2nd, Cotton Bowl [i](Thursday 8 PM) [/i]

This one!

Reply/Quote
Bottom line..it is a fairly good year for centers in the draft. It wouldn't surprise me if they drafted a developmental guy at the least.

Here is another guy that could be a mid round type guy. He is very versatile having played both guard and center. http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2016/01/what_nfl_draft_analysts_have_s.html
Reply/Quote