Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Coaches and Players on the Defense
Being a "rookie" is no excuse for Dansby's missed tackles.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Geoff Hobson is the Paul Alexander of web site editors.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Guenther:

“It’s part of what I was explaining to you, not only with the new coaches,” Guenther said. “I can't say to the new coaches, 'Hey, remember two years ago against Carolina and they were doing this and these were the adjustments we made' -- because they haven't been here. So it's all part of building that up, along with the new players. Shawn and Margus and Will Clarke to a certain extent is playing a lot in there, Karlos Dansby's a new player for us. So there's a lot of moving pieces in there that each and every week you hope that they can gain the knowledge of the system.”

“I don't like where our numbers are right now. But it's our doing. A lot of the plays that we've given up have been our error,” Guenther said. “It's just little, simple things like that that I can't account for as a coach because you've gone over it in practice.”

“They have to play great for us. Just like any other good team,” Guenther said. “If Tom Brady has an off day, they’re probably not going to win. If Ben Roethlisberger has an off day they’re probably not going to win. Our great players have to play great all the time. Against good offenses if you give up one or two plays, that’s it.”

“We’re a tick off from where we were last year,” Guenther said. “We had a couple of these games a year ago where they had some yardage on us but when they got it in the red zone we toughened up. I think if we continue to move in that direction, we’ll be back. At the end of the year we’ll be right where we were a year ago. We’re just doing it the hard way this year.”

Vinny Rey:

“This is Karlos’ first year with us. Vontaze missed the first three games when he wasn’t even in the building,” Rey said. “We’ve had a bit of a tough schedule. We’re veterans, but we’ve had some new guys in there. I think we’re getting better. If not, we better be.

“Darrin said something that I think applies to the whole team,” Rey said. “We can’t get better at everything all at once. But each of us has to get better at something specific and make a conscious effort to get better at it in practice.”

Comments??
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 11:21 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Then how would Dansby "basically" be a rookie when this is his 13th season?  

Hobson never said Dansby was basically a rookie.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 09:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hobson never said Dansby was basically a rookie.

You are correct.  He said it is "basically his first season here" when in fact it is literally his first season here.  I remembered the quote wrong.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 11:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He played but not a lot.  116 snaps is less than 2 full games.  He is not like a rookie because he has played hundreds of snaps in practice but he is also still learning a lot as far as game experience.

I remember Sherman edwards talking about how important game experience was when we were shutting down good passing attacks with a bunch of older guys like Newman, hall, jones, and nelson.

So while hobs may be exaggerating a bit, he has a valid point.

(10-26-2016, 09:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hobson never said Dansby was basically a rookie.
Holy crap!  How could I have missed this?!?  Geoff, thanks so much for protecting the Bengal brand on these boards as the irascible "fredtoast".  Tennessee lawyer.  That is really good.
Reply/Quote
It's possible that Kevin Coyle and Jim Haslett appear overqualified for their coaching positions when you look at their resumes, but at the same time are underqualified to actually do a good job coaching up individual players in todays' game. I'm more constructive on Coyle, but I get the impression Haslett loves himself some slow veteran linebackers who could lay the wood if teleported to 1995.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 01:57 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Another-intramural-scrum-for-defense/0d63f2b8-bc7a-4bec-935d-0c10cb6781cf

Here's some insight on a little of what is going on and being discussed outside of the forum.  I'm sure we can stretch this thread with some more debating and fussing!

Sure sounds like a chemistry thing going on with the new position coaches and Dansby.

Hopefully as the season goes on we can put it all together. Loved picking up Dansby and i liked the Burney hire.

Would love to see these moves come to fruition soon. Haslett the LB coach has not impressed me but there is a
point to make about Burfict missing time and him being out of shape. If we can start filling the gaps well at the
LB position and start easing Sims into Peko's spot and use Clarke and Hunt more instead of MJ i think the Defense
could definately get back to what it was last year.

Shawn has been taking a lot of heat but those were some big Reggie shoes to fill.
Reply/Quote