Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Some Fun Homework on Monday Night
Watch the Ravens play the Chiefs. That’s our homework.

Specifically, watch the line play on both sides of the ball; it’s excellent. Can you spot the difference between what Kansas City and Baltimore do in the trenches and how the Bengals play up front?

Yes, I know Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson are exciting but just watch the lines just this time. What do you see?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Protection.

Reply/Quote
I also see a couple damn good head coaches on the sidelines...

Reply/Quote
Mahomes is not horizontal like Joe. I bet that helps him play better.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Want to watch a offense guru watch KC they have players running everywhere.
Reply/Quote
Wait! You are not suppose to let the d lineman behind you? I think I found our issue.
Reply/Quote
My homework shows that it's possible that Joe can one day be the 2nd best QB in the NFL
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 10:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My homework shows that it's possible that Joe can one day be the 2nd best QB in the NFL

PFF thinks it will be within 5 years...

https://lsutigerswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/08/pff-predicts-joe-burrow-will-be-the-2nd-best-nfl-qb-by-2025/

Reply/Quote
Mahomes is already a hall of famer, and the speed on their offense is goals for our home team.

As long as he has Lamar's number (or I guess KC has Baltimore's number), the Ravens won't make the Superbowl. That's what my homework tells me.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
And with that the Chiefs LT has more TD receptions in 2020 than AJ Green and Ross combined. Well, it's fun to root for the Chiefs to stop the Steelers, so I'll jump on that wagon.
Reply/Quote
Chiefs show what zone blocking scheme is supposed to look like...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
It's the Head Coaching.... even Burkhead is lighting it up in New England.
Reply/Quote
What I learned was, every WR that isn't named AJ Green can get away with pushing off.....
Seriously:
1) KC's wr are wide open
2) Reid is a master at designing plays
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 09:38 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Watch the Ravens play the Chiefs.  That’s our homework.

Specifically, watch the line play on both sides of the ball; it’s excellent.  Can you spot the difference between what Kansas City and Baltimore do in the trenches and how the Bengals play up front?

Yes, I know Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson are exciting but just watch the lines just this time.  What do you see?

I see creativity, receivers (and TEs and RBs) SPRINTING routes from the snap, generating immediate separation, combined with crossing (rub) routes and misdirection options.  

In other words, I saw things I never see from the Bengals.  

The thing that angers me the most out of all of this is how Burrow has not only met expectations, but probably exceeded them...no small task.  Yet, these players that are on the field seems as energetic and motivated as a corpse.  You don't see anywhere NEAR that energy or effort.  I really thought Burrow's effort and toughness would have these guys running through walls for him.  Right now, I see none of that.  And it pisses me off.  
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I really thought Burrow's effort and toughness would have these guys running through walls for him.  Right now, I see none of that.  And it pisses me off.  

You are spot on correct and here's why:  There is an unrealistic expectation among casual fans that merely having a franchise quarterback on the field will automatically raise the playing level of the players around him.  This is absolute hogwash.  It doesn't happen that way.  If you had a terrible high school band and you had the first trumpet from the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra sit in what you would have is a terrible band with a great trumpet player.

Such it is with quarterbacks.  Look what the Colts did to Andrew Luck; he could have been the GOAT if not for being pummeled mercilessly.  I do not want the same to happen to Joe Burrow.  He has GOAT-ness written all over him!  Oh, sure, he can learn to get the ball out faster but if that happens we've just recreated Andy Dalton 2.0 and that's not why Joe Burrow was drafted.  He was drafted because of his ability to push the ball down the field but what is the longest play the Bengals have had in 2020 so far?  25 yards, maybe?  

The run blocking is unwatchable but let's focus on pass protection for a minute because that's what your fine post addresses.  The linemen should be "running through walls" for Joe Burrow.  Do you remember the preseason game in 2011 when Ndamukong Suh tried to twist Andy Dalton's head off?  Andrew Whitworth was in Suh's face after that play.  I don't see that from the offensive line now.  When Joe went down with the wind knocked out of him Trey Hopkins should have had words with  Malik Jackson.  Right now the line is gassed, dazed, and confused.  I am scared for our young quarterback and furious the pass protection was insufficiently addressed.
Reply/Quote
We havent even done a reversal with "the fastest man on earth".. aka. ROSS the first 2 games... yesterday I saw Hill get a good 20 yrd gain on a reversal. in the first few plays of the game.

For the bengal coaches, that would be a tedious, too complicated thing to do, and too risky.
Reply/Quote
The Chiefs have to be the scariest NFL team I've ever seen. Of course the Patriots undefeated season will come up, but man.. I feel like there's no team out there right now that can stop them. And Mahomes is the most gifted QB I've ever seen.

We are so far away from both of these teams though. Our QB is our best asset, but we've got so many holes to fill. I was laughing last night though, because I couldn't remember the last team we were a really good blitzing team. Offense is always more enjoyable to watch, but man I miss having a good defense!
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:01 AM)thillan Wrote: The Chiefs have to be the scariest NFL team I've ever seen. Of course the Patriots undefeated season will come up, but man.. I feel like there's no team out there right now that can stop them. And Mahomes is the most gifted QB I've ever seen.

We are so far away from both of these teams though. Our QB is our best asset, but we've got so many holes to fill. I was laughing last night though, because I couldn't remember the last team we were a really good blitzing team. Offense is always more enjoyable to watch, but man I miss having a good defense!

Idk about a undefeated season. Chargers took them to OT with a rookie QB, so they’re certainly beatable. That said I would have thought the Ravens had one of the best chances to do so...

As far as Mahomes? I agree. Most physically talented QB I’ve ever seen. I thought Aaron Rodgers would have that title for this generation, but he’s already been unseated.

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I see creativity, receivers (and TEs and RBs) SPRINTING routes from the snap, generating immediate separation, combined with crossing (rub) routes and misdirection options.  

In other words, I saw things I never see from the Bengals.  

The thing that angers me the most out of all of this is how Burrow has not only met expectations, but probably exceeded them...no small task.  Yet, these players that are on the field seems as energetic and motivated as a corpse.  You don't see anywhere NEAR that energy or effort.  I really thought Burrow's effort and toughness would have these guys running through walls for him.  Right now, I see none of that.  And it pisses me off.  

If you have access, you might want to watch the All 22 on NFL.com GamePass. There's plenty of effort. If you don't have access, trust me, there's plenty of effort. 

(09-29-2020, 09:57 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You are spot on correct and here's why:  There is an unrealistic expectation among casual fans that merely having a franchise quarterback on the field will automatically raise the playing level of the players around him.  This is absolute hogwash.  It doesn't happen that way.  If you had a terrible high school band and you had the first trumpet from the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra sit in what you would have is a terrible band with a great trumpet player.

Such it is with quarterbacks.  Look what the Colts did to Andrew Luck; he could have been the GOAT if not for being pummeled mercilessly.  I do not want the same to happen to Joe Burrow.  He has GOAT-ness written all over him!  Oh, sure, he can learn to get the ball out faster but if that happens we've just recreated Andy Dalton 2.0 and that's not why Joe Burrow was drafted.  He was drafted because of his ability to push the ball down the field but what is the longest play the Bengals have had in 2020 so far?  25 yards, maybe?  

You are so far off, it's criminal (see? i can do hyperbole too).

The trumpet player wouldn't be playing other peoples instruments. QBs have a huge hand in other players success or failure, in a lot of ways. You're comparing Apples and Nebulas. 

Leave the analogies to the experts, champ. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
It may be an unpopular opinion, but damn, Lamar Jackson comes up small in almost every big game that he plays in.
Reply/Quote