Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Some Fun Homework on Monday Night
(09-29-2020, 01:41 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It may be an unpopular opinion, but damn, Lamar Jackson comes up small in almost every big game that he plays in.

They were certainly in recent playoff form weren’t they.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 01:41 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It may be an unpopular opinion, but damn, Lamar Jackson comes up small in almost every big game that he plays in.

Sure. Slamming Lamar Jackson will be unpopular on a Bengal Message Board
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:57 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You are spot on correct and here's why:  There is an unrealistic expectation among casual fans that merely having a franchise quarterback on the field will automatically raise the playing level of the players around him.  This is absolute hogwash.  It doesn't happen that way.  If you had a terrible high school band and you had the first trumpet from the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra sit in what you would have is a terrible band with a great trumpet player.

Such it is with quarterbacks.  Look what the Colts did to Andrew Luck; he could have been the GOAT if not for being pummeled mercilessly.  I do not want the same to happen to Joe Burrow.  He has GOAT-ness written all over him!  Oh, sure, he can learn to get the ball out faster but if that happens we've just recreated Andy Dalton 2.0 and that's not why Joe Burrow was drafted.  He was drafted because of his ability to push the ball down the field but what is the longest play the Bengals have had in 2020 so far?  25 yards, maybe?  

The run blocking is unwatchable but let's focus on pass protection for a minute because that's what your fine post addresses.  The linemen should be "running through walls" for Joe Burrow.  Do you remember the preseason game in 2011 when Ndamukong Suh tried to twist Andy Dalton's head off?  Andrew Whitworth was in Suh's face after that play.  I don't see that from the offensive line now.  When Joe went down with the wind knocked out of him Trey Hopkins should have had words with  Malik Jackson.  Right now the line is gassed, dazed, and confused.  I am scared for our young quarterback and furious the pass protection was insufficiently addressed.

Actually that was Andre Smith, but I get your point.  These "good character guys that come from winning organizations" are missing something.  Faith in their coaching staff?  Are they being complacent and need a foot in their ass?  Judging by how we finish games, I would also point to conditioning.  
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 01:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If you have access, you might want to watch the All 22 on NFL.com GamePass. There's plenty of effort. If you don't have access, trust me, there's plenty of effort. 

Ok, a couple experts on the "Hear that podcast growling" podcast were talking about the SPEED of the routes run by guys like AJ Green.  There is now SCIENCE behind the "naked eye" assumptions.  Green, in 2018, was running routes at a clip that topped out just under 21 MPH, routinely.  Some were as low as the high 19s.  This year, he is running them at a top speed at 18.5 MPH, with many of his routes coming around 17MPH.  Ross still had the fastest this year with around 21 MPH, but even though he can get open, he can't seem to find the ball. 

That is a MASSIVE decline and if you have ever walked 2.5 MPH, you are leaving a stationary object behind fairly quickly.  That is the difference in his route speed.  Blame it on rust, age, whatever, but it explains a lot of those deep throws where he was overthrown.  

There were also two plays that Tate and Sample were able to LEGALLY rub the defender off Green and they chose to GET OUT OF THE WAY and allow him to stick on Green and make a play.  These are examples of just not understanding their role.  More time in the film room, or more time on the practice field making this play work.  

I am not saying there is no effort.  Gio, Lawson (of course, new contract due...more on that in another thread I am about to start), the secondary, guys like ADG, and Wilson....but the guys up front blocking for Burrow look like they spent their quarantine doing absolutely nothing physical and would rather play video game football.  
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 10:15 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: Want to watch a offense guru watch KC they have players running everywhere.
There is an offensive guru sitting at home on the couch. He had all kinds of movement, pre-snap camouflage and running the same plays out of different formations.

ZT wouldnt hire him. It would have to be a FO decision because it would mean ZT giving up play calling.

He had Andy Dalton knocking on the door to an MVP season.

Just think what he could do with JoeB.

Of course, Hue Jackson would need a new Oline coach...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
It's like they're playing a different sport.
Reply/Quote