Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some good news - Pollack and Simmons expected to stay on
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/11/18174322/nfl-news-bengals-darrin-simmons-frank-pollack-coach

Many were hoping for this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Yes, Pollack was the one guy i really thought we couldn't lose as he did a decent job with the shit sandwich he was handed last year.

He deserved another chance and Simmons is a solid ST's coach and don't know if we could find another one as good. Always liked how he would get fired up on the sidelines, one of the few that would.

I know Simmons has been around a while but he has never been anything like Marv.

I liked Van Pelt as well but maybe Taylor wants to do things his own way with the QB's.

All i know is that Taylor is a QB and he knows a QB doesn't have a chance without a decent O-line. Lets give Pollack a few more decent Lineman and see what he can do with them. Seantrel Henderson in FA and an early pick would be nice.
Reply/Quote
Its almost like someone out there has been following the comments on this board.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 07:07 PM)Goncrazzy Wrote: Its almost like someone out there has been following the comments on this board.

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to say it. If someone is, then great! It's not like the choices people make on this board have been worse than Mike Browns have been.

Heck, I'm even thinking about taking down my Mike Brown Sucks! sig.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 07:09 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to say it. If someone is, then great! It's not like the choices people make on this board have been worse than Mike Browns have been.

Shhhhh they might get upset with that and stop reading the board  Ninja
Reply/Quote
I like Simmons but he has got to do something about these block in the back penalties.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 07:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, Pollack was the one guy i really thought we couldn't lose as he did a decent job with the shit sandwich he was handed last year.

He deserved another chance and Simmons is a solid ST's coach and don't know if we could find another one as good. Always liked how he would get fired up on the sidelines, one of the few that would.

I know Simmons has been around a while but he has never been anything like Marv.

I liked Van Pelt as well but maybe Taylor wants to do things his own way with the QB's.

All i know is that Taylor is a QB and he knows a QB doesn't have a chance without a decent O-line. Lets give Pollack a few more decent Lineman and see what he can do with them. Seantrel Henderson in FA and an early pick would be nice.

Yep. I'm glad Pollack is getting another chance, hopefully with a good draft and a top shelf FA.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 07:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, Pollack was the one guy i really thought we couldn't lose as he did a decent job with the shit sandwich he was handed last year.

Well said, Nate.  You took the words pretty much out of my mouth.  I'm now left with nothing to add..   Sad   LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 07:09 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to say it. If someone is, then great! It's not like the choices people make on this board have been worse than Mike Browns have been.

Love the new sig!!  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote

I haven't seen anything about Van Pelt, did I miss something?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I just hope he wasn’t the one making the decision to trot Redmond and Hart out there every game, even after the season was over. If he’s a good coach and those two didn’t improve one ounce as the season went along, then both are hopeless as players and the team needs to move on.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 08:51 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I just hope he wasn’t the one making the decision to trot Redmond and Hart out there every game, even after the season was over.  If he’s a good coach and those two didn’t improve one ounce as the season went along, then both are hopeless as players and the team needs to move on.

Perhaps Pollack was given a reprieve by the management, BECAUSE he wasn't the one making the personnel calls?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 07:16 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I like Simmons but he has got to do something about these block in the back penalties.

Those happen with every team when the runner reverses direction....
Reply/Quote
Given the crap they gave Pollack to work with he deserved more time. He only had four linemen that even belonged on a pro roster (note I did not say starters).
Reply/Quote
The only two I would have kept, and maybe Caskey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 10:41 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: The only two I would have kept, and maybe Caskey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Van Pelt....
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 09:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Perhaps Pollack was given a reprieve by the management, BECAUSE he wasn't the one making the personnel calls?

We had the #1 RB in the AFC and I believe his YPC were around 4.8 for the season.  That's a significant upgrade over a year ago.  As far as pass-blocking goes, I think a lot of the issues there became the dearth of weapons that could get open quickly which forced Dalton to hold on to the ball too long.

Of all these changes to personnel, the two guys I am most excited to see in our new offense are John Ross and Gio Bernard.  

Ross should be used all over the field like he is in the red zone:  crossing routes, fades, quick hitches, etc.  It seems like his job was to run vertical routes to open things underneath for Boyd, AJ, and Eifert.  He got more chances in the red zone and had something stupid like 7 TDs in 21 receptions for the year.  I'm still so puzzled why you wouldn't get Dalton, one of the quickest releases in the game, to throw Ross a quick pass when a DB is playing off of him (which seemed to be every time).  He makes that one guy miss and he's gone.  If he doesn't, it is still a high%, easy 5-7 yard completion.

Ditto Gio.  When are we going to see him on misdirection routes, where we can get him in space.  See how the Chiefs used Kareem Hunt in their passing game.  

Use these resources more and watch the passing game take off, which will drop safeties and only help the running game as well.  

I can't wait to see it.  
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 11:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We had the #1 RB in the AFC and I believe his YPC were around 4.8 for the season.  That's a significant upgrade over a year ago.  As far as pass-blocking goes, I think a lot of the issues there became the dearth of weapons that could get open quickly which forced Dalton to hold on to the ball too long.

Of all these changes to personnel, the two guys I am most excited to see in our new offense are John Ross and Gio Bernard.  

Ross should be used all over the field like he is in the red zone:  crossing routes, fades, quick hitches, etc.  It seems like his job was to run vertical routes to open things underneath for Boyd, AJ, and Eifert.  He got more chances in the red zone and had something stupid like 7 TDs in 21 receptions for the year.  I'm still so puzzled why you wouldn't get Dalton, one of the quickest releases in the game, to throw Ross a quick pass when a DB is playing off of him (which seemed to be every time).  He makes that one guy miss and he's gone.  If he doesn't, it is still a high%, easy 5-7 yard completion.

Ditto Gio.  When are we going to see him on misdirection routes, where we can get him in space.  See how the Chiefs used Kareem Hunt in their passing game.  

Use these resources more and watch the passing game take off, which will drop safeties and only help the running game as well.  

I can't wait to see it.  

Very interesting how we expect to see different things from this new coaching staff. And some of the same things.

I'm expecting to see Mixon used more, not less. He's the clear #1 back and can do everything Bernard does, plus more. Instead of seeing a stat line at the end of a game with Mixon getting 13 carries, I expect to see it say 20 plus 5 or 6 catches.

As far as Ross goes he needs to work on catching the ball a LOT better. His catch to target percentage was worst in the NFL, not bottom 10% or bottom 25%, but absolutely dead last. It's hard to make use of a guy who only brings 36% of the passes thrown his way. Part of this is his route running.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 09:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Perhaps Pollack was given a reprieve by the management, BECAUSE he wasn't the one making the personnel calls?

Exactly so.  Frank Pollack was constrained to work with Paul Alexander's offensive line, Billy Price excepted.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 07:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep. I'm glad Pollack is getting another chance, hopefully with a good draft and a top shelf FA.

He did as well as you could expect really. I think i was expecting too much in his first year here.

(01-11-2019, 07:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well said, Nate.  You took the words pretty much out of my mouth.  I'm now left with nothing to add..   Sad   LOL

Thanks Sunset, great compliment as you always do the same to me lol

(01-11-2019, 08:01 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I haven't seen anything about Van Pelt, did I miss something?

Just haven't heard about him being retained. Thought he did a great job with Dalton last year but Taylor might want to work with Dalton and the QB's alone, i have no idea on this one yet. We will see if we keep Van Pelt around, thought he was a great pick up last year and Rodgers really missed him in Green Bay. Was hoping he would be back.
Reply/Quote