Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some interesting facts about the Bengals '15 defense.
--There is no real difference between the #1 and #2 CB on the Bengals. The outside CBs on the bengals lined up based on the side of the field instead of the opposing receivers 97% of the time. That ws more than any other team in the league.

--The Bengals depend on their D-line for pass rush more than any team in the league. They only used 4 pass rushers on 504 of 644 passing snaps by far the most in the league in both toal and percentage. Only 4.5 of the Bengal 42 sacks came from the back 7 LBs and DBs. That 11% was dead last in the league.

--The Bengals use a nickle (5 DB) defense 68% of the time. That was second most in the league. This means our #3 CB plays more than twice as many snaps as our MLB.

--According to Football Outsiders the Bengals had the #1 defense in the league against deep passes (15+ yards past line of scrimmage), but were only 17th against short passes. The good news is that FO has ranked Karlos Dansby among the top 3 LBs against the pass in each of the last two seasons. Dansby could be the best veteran free agent signing by the Bengals in a long time.
Reply/Quote
As advertised, certainly interesting facts.

I wasn't surprised about the REALLY high percentage of 4 man rushes. That was pretty evident watching every game last year.
I did not realize the CBs rarely swapped sides based on matchups. I think for a long time (and maybe still now), Seattle did that with Sherman and whoever is their 2nd CB
I also knew that we used the nickel package A LOT. Probably because we were ahead most games and opposing teams had to throw the ball a lot (purely a guess)
I DEFINITELY agree on the probable value of the Dansby signing. Very excited to see what he does this year!!
Reply/Quote
Sounds like a red zone defense indeed.  I'm wondering how the D will change this season or if it'll stay more or less the same.  Some questions I'm wondering: 

Who their new "blitz db" is going to be now that Nelson won't be screaming in off the edge anymore?  
Will they send Burfict at the QB more this season?  It seemed really potent when he and Atkins both attacked the blind side in the playoff game.  
Will we see more press-man or zone blitz type of stuff this season?  A lot of folks were predicting that Dennard would evolve into a press corner.  The lbs seem to be pretty athletic and might do well in double-a gap looks.  
What will be the solution if the back end of the d-line roster don't step up?  What happens if they do?
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 04:28 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Sounds like a red zone defense indeed.  I'm wondering how the D will change this season or if it'll stay more or less the same.  Some questions I'm wondering: 

Who their new "blitz db" is going to be now that Nelson won't be screaming in off the edge anymore?  
Will they send Burfict at the QB more this season?  It seemed really potent when he and Atkins both attacked the blind side in the playoff game.  
Will we see more press-man or zone blitz type of stuff this season?  A lot of folks were predicting that Dennard would evolve into a press corner.  The lbs seem to be pretty athletic and might do well in double-a gap looks.  
What will be the solution if the back end of the d-line roster don't step up?  What happens if they do?

I hope the answer to the second and third questions is YES ThumbsUp   I'd love to see Burfict hit Rapelisburger so hard that he retires on his way to the sidelines
Reply/Quote
Good stuff. Goes to show, or at least I remember; how effective they were when rushing a CB. 
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
None of this surprises me at all and i completely agree about the Dansby signing being a great one if all goes well.

Just hoping our 3rd CB is healthy come the opener, need Dennard to show his stuff in the Nickle.

But of course we have to get a push with our front 4 if we keep this up and our DE rotation needs to show up.

Need Hunt, Hardison, Clarke, Sims or Deshawn Williams to show up. Hoping for Billings by midseason. Mellow
Reply/Quote
Guenther plays not to lose instead of playing to win and I think that comes back to haunt us in close games.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 10:39 PM)J24 Wrote: Guenther plays not to lose instead of playing to win and I think that comes back to haunt us in close games.

Is this implying that you'd like to see more blitzing late in games (or in general) as opposed to rushing four and playing coverage so much?
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 10:39 PM)J24 Wrote: Guenther plays not to lose instead of playing to win

What does this even mean?

I can see this line of thinking being applied to conservative offensive play calling, but on defense it seems that they try to stop the offense as much as possible.

Generally a 4 front defense has to generate pressure without blitzing.  If a 4 front defense blitzes a lot is usually a sign of desperation.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2016, 09:38 AM)fredtoast Wrote: What does this even mean?

I can see this line of thinking being applied to conservative offensive play calling, but on defense it seems that they try to stop the offense as much as possible.

Generally a 4 front defense has to generate pressure without blitzing.  If a 4 front defense blitzes a lot is usually a sign of desperation.

Agreed, applies more to the Offense than the Defense.

Don't need to blitz if our front 4 is getting home and we are covering well.
Reply/Quote