Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some interesting info on John Ross
Great stuff Shake. Just more proof that the people talking down this pick don't know what they are talking about.

When i looked up the top 3 receivers Ross was my favorite. Allen i would of liked but the more i know, i don't know.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Steve Smith Sr. had a very successful career, at 5'9" and 195.  I don't find Ross' physical dimensions to be a limiting factor for him.

People talk like he's 5'7" and 140 lbs or something. I get that we're used to the Bengals drafting tall receivers, but 5'11" is pretty close to average height at the position...maybe a touch below. Ross is the same size or bigger than:

Antonio Brown (the best WR in the NFL is smaller than Brown ffs)
Desean Jackson
TY Hilton
Brandin Cooks
Emmanual Sanders
Golden Tate
Randall Cobb
Julian Edelman
Jarvis Landry
Doug Baldwin
Stefon Diggs
Willie Snead
Marqise Lee
Jamison Crowder
Cole Beasley
and Steve Smith

That's just among the top 43 most productive WRs from last year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I like the pick. The injury history scares me (and so does our Oline), but if Dalton can be kept upright for at least 3 seconds our passing game will be scary.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: People talk like he's 5'7" and 140 lbs or something. I get that we're used to the Bengals drafting tall receivers, but 5'11" is pretty close to average height at the position...maybe a touch below. Ross is the same size or bigger than:

Desean Jackson
TY Hilton
Brandin Cooks
Emmanual Sanders
Golden Tate
Randall Cobb
Julian Edelman
Jarvis Landry
Doug Baldwin
Stefon Diggs
Willie Snead
Marqise Lee
Jamison Crowder
Cole Beasley
and Steve Smith

And Odell beckham jr!  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: People talk like he's 5'7" and 140 lbs or something. I get that we're used to the Bengals drafting tall receivers, but 5'11" is pretty close to average height at the position...maybe a touch below. Ross is the same size or bigger than:

Desean Jackson
TY Hilton
Brandin Cooks
Emmanual Sanders
Golden Tate
Randall Cobb
Julian Edelman
Jarvis Landry
Doug Baldwin
Stefon Diggs
Willie Snead
Marqise Lee
Jamison Crowder
Cole Beasley
and Steve Smith

People pick odd things to justify their opinions, rather than just admitting he's a great player, but they would have preferred a different selection.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: People pick odd things to justify their opinions, rather than just admitting he's a great player, but they would have preferred a different selection.

I was a little disappointed in the pack last night only because it appeared Allen and Howard were bpa and at st least one position of need. The medicals concern me, not his size or skill.

After hearing how the med staff went over him with a fine tooth comb (as I'm sure they did with Allen) and that it came down to Ross or Howard I'm hopeful they made the right pick. Time will tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see Erickson keep return duties he was really starting to own that spot by the end of the year.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:57 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I'd like to see Erickson keep return duties he was really starting to own that spot by the end of the year.
 Agreed makes no sense in risking Ross getting hurt on returns when you have a guy in Erickson who led the NFL in kick return yards in his 1st season ever returning kicks. 
Reply/Quote
The people arguing for Allen and listing injury concerns why we shouldn't of taken Ross destroy their own argument.

Allen's medicals were clearly much more concerning to teams.
Reply/Quote
Obviously PFF doesn't know what they're talking about since they say Ross can run a variety of routes. People around here are saying he's one trick pony and nothing else. They know best.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:57 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I'd like to see Erickson keep return duties he was really starting to own that spot by the end of the year.

Same here, Erickson led the league in yardage i think?

Ross is definately much faster but as Lone Bengal said we shouldn't risk the guy getting hurt returning Kicks.

Maybe Punts in huge moments, maybe.

Just cause AB does it doesn't mean it is smart.
Reply/Quote

Desean Jackson
TY Hilton
Brandin Cooks
Emmanual Sanders
Golden Tate
Randall Cobb
Julian Edelman
Jarvis Landry
Doug Baldwin
Stefon Diggs
Willie Snead
Marqise Lee
Jamison Crowder
Cole Beasley
and Steve Smith

To be fair many in this forum argue players like AJM don't have as much value regardless of production due to being drafted in round 5. How many of these guys were drafted top 10 in an NFL draft? What would have our fan reaction have been if we had used our 1st round pick on any of these guys back when they were drafted?

BTW..I ma starting to heat up to our pick of Ross, but I can see why some disagree and should not be chastised or say they are ill informed if they disagree.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 01:12 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: To be fair many in this forum argue players like AJM don't have as much value regardless of production due to being drafted in round 5. How many of these guys were drafted top 10 in an NFL draft? What would have our fan reaction have been if we had used our 1st round pick on any of these guys back when they were drafted?

BTW..I ma starting to heat up to our pick of Ross, but I can see why some disagree and should not be chastised or say they are ill informed if they disagree.

It is a message board and if someone is ill informed others should inform them.

The golden rule man. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:01 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I agree.  Unless it is some special circumstance, I don't see a reason to have him returning kicks.  He has a small stature and injury history, so why risk it?

agreed, no way he returns kicks. keep him as a WR only dont need him getting hurt.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 01:12 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: To be fair many in this forum argue players like AJM don't have as much value regardless of production due to being drafted in round 5. How many of these guys were drafted top 10 in an NFL draft? What would have our fan reaction have been if we had used our 1st round pick on any of these guys back when they were drafted?

1. You're twisting what's been said about Mac. I've never said "regardless of production". I've always said that he hasn't shown enough production (4 starts) to say he's worth a 1st round pick when he was a 5th rounder coming out. I'm not the only one who feels that way, as this was posted by CBS just 2 days ago:

Quote:It should come as no surprise that teams with sought-after backups would set their asking price as high as possible, but the Bengals appear to be shooting for the moon with what they're looking for in exchange for backup AJ McCarron. According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the Bengals want at least a first-round pick in exchange for McCarron's services. 

It's worth noting that McCarron is a former fifth-round pick that has thrown all of 119 NFL passes since being drafted in 2014. He acquitted himself fairly well in three starts at the end of the 2015 season when Andy Dalton went down with a broken thumb on his throwing hand, but McCarron struggled badly during the Bengals' first-round playoff loss to the Steelers

He's certainly considered a high-quality backup, but it's not exactly clear that there's evidence to support him being a quality starter. Getting a first-round pick for a player with his pedigree and track record seems extraordinarily unlikely.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bengals-reportedly-want-at-least-a-first-round-pick-for-backup-aj-mccarron/

2. I'm allowed to disagree with those who hate the pick, and I'm just showing evidence as to why many of the things that are being said are false. Unfortunately, it appears many are ill informed, and I can and will point it out tyvm. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 01:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is a message board and if someone is ill informed others should inform them.

The golden rule man. Mellow

Posting your evaluation of facts does not make you or anyone an expert. I have no issues posting facts to support a point, I disagree with chastising others who do not come aorund to your or other's way of thinking due to a multitude of reasons including conflicting analysis which even so called experts can't agree.

My golden rule differs from yours;

Mine is be respectful of others and treat others the same way you wish to be treated.  ThumbsUp
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 01:40 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Posting your evaluation of facts does not make you or anyone an expert. I have no issues posting facts to support a point, I disagree with chastising others who do not come aorund to your or other's way of thinking duet to a multitude of reasons including conflicting analysis which even so called experts can't agree.

Mine is be respectful of others and treat others the same way you wish to be treated.  ThumbsUp

Where have I been so disrespectful, Luvnit? Me thinks you are being overly sensitive. 
Reply/Quote
My only concern is his medicals, but if he can stay healthy and bump that weight from 188 to like 195-198 without losing the speed than it's a solid pick and changes the offense and makes it more dynamic.
Reply/Quote
Here's a fun fact about John Ross for those worried he's only a between-the-20's guy...
Quote:Ross himself led the FBS with 12 receiving touchdowns on red-zone plays in 2016.
http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/130084/what-you-need-to-know-about-combine-speedster-john-ross
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 01:40 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Posting your evaluation of facts does not make you or anyone an expert. I have no issues posting facts to support a point, I disagree with chastising others who do not come aorund to your or other's way of thinking due to a multitude of reasons including conflicting analysis which even so called experts can't agree.

When did i chastise anyone or be disrespectful?

You are right, your golden rule differs from mine.

I didn't say you did something you didn't do.
Reply/Quote