Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some possible cuts... Larry Warford
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29101985/32-nfl-players-most-likely-cut-traded-2020-nfl-draft

Seems Larry Warford may be available. I have seen also where he may be available now. Saints have to many interior lineman and added Caesar Ruiz...

Denzel Perryman, Avery Williamson, and Hasan Reddick mentioned. Although we are LB full now we might be able to add a solid veteran...

Warford would be great at RG...
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 07:55 PM)The Stars In Stripes Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29101985/32-nfl-players-most-likely-cut-traded-2020-nfl-draft

Seems Larry Warford may be available. I have seen also where he may be available now. Saints have to many interior lineman and added Caesar Ruiz...

Denzel Perryman, Avery Williamson, and Hasan Reddick mentioned. Although we are LB full now we might be able to add a solid veteran...

Warford would be great at RG...

Warford was another guy I really wanted coming out of college. Haven't followed him too closely, but any extra veterans to the offensive line is good in my book. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 08:37 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Warford was another guy I really wanted coming out of college. Haven't followed him too closely, but any extra veterans to the offensive line is good in my book. 

trade for Warford and cut Redmond.
Reply/Quote
Warford is a couple steps up from Fluker...

Well hopefully he is cut and comes here to start. Not sure what, if any, pick I would give up? 7th maybe to ensure we got him? Possibly 6th? Idk
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 09:30 PM)pulses Wrote: trade for Warford and cut Redmond.

(04-28-2020, 10:46 PM)The Stars In Stripes Wrote: Warford is a couple steps up from Fluker...

Well hopefully he is cut and comes here to start. Not sure what, if any, pick I would give up? 7th maybe to ensure we got him? Possibly 6th? Idk

Not sure that the Bengals would want to trade for Warford, due to his current contract.  His current salary is $7.65M.  His cap hit is $12.875M.  The Saints would be eating $5.125 in dead cap to release him.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/larry-warford-12346/

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2020, 07:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not sure that the Bengals would want to trade for Warford, due to his current contract.  His current salary is $7.65M.  His cap hit is $12.875M.  The Saints would be eating $5.125 in dead cap to release him.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/larry-warford-12346/

Better to have him cut and claim him then.
Reply/Quote
I am against paying $8-$9 million for a decent but unspectacular lineman. If we do, we likely have to cut Andy, and then I favor spending a couple mil more and getting someone REALLY good.

Though if the contract is shorter term then that is easier to take.

I certainly do not want to cut Andy AND fail to use that $$ to help the team.
Reply/Quote
Would definitely love to get Warford in here, this is a good one. Warford or Peters would make me really happy.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2020, 04:59 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I am against paying $8-$9 million for a decent but unspectacular lineman. If we do, we likely have to cut Andy, and then I favor spending a couple mil more and getting someone REALLY good.

While certainly not spectacular, his overall grade of 71 would have easily been the best of any of our OL, last season.  While I think that close to $9M is too high for what he provides.  The way I see it, Andy is looking more likely to be cut, than dealt at this point, so might as well continue to build the OL.  

What would be fair for a guy like Warford?  I'm thinking 2 years/$13M or 3 years/$18M.  He's 28, never missed any significant time due to injury, never heard of his name in the news for negative reasons.  In nearly 6,500 snaps over 7 seasons, he's only been flagged a grand total of 17 times, or averaging just under 2.5 penalties/season.  The guy seems pretty solid and steady.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2020, 05:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While certainly not spectacular, his overall grade of 71 would have easily been the best of any of our OL, last season.  While I think that close to $9M is too high for what he provides.  The way I see it, Andy is looking more likely to be cut, than dealt at this point, so might as well continue to build the OL.  

What would be fair for a guy like Warford?  I'm thinking 2 years/$13M or 3 years/$18M.  He's 28, never missed any significant time due to injury, never heard of his name in the news for negative reasons.  In nearly 6,500 snaps over 7 seasons, he's only been flagged a grand total of 17 times, or averaging just under 2.5 penalties/season.  The guy seems pretty solid and steady.

Ideally because of NO's 4th worst cap space and dead money due they can let Cincy work a long term deal and get a 7th out of it.  He went to HS and College at KY, maybe if his market value is 9M/yr he takes 8M and a higher guarantee in the first two years.  

This man has made the last three pro bowls, he is worth the money.  As big as he is, he is athletic enough for their scheme but still packs a punch and gives NEEDED stability on the OL.  Give me a guy of this quality anywhere on the OL and I'll gladly change my sig.
Reply/Quote
Warford graded out as the 8th best guard last season according to pff. Just below Zeitler. I take that with a grain of salt because the Saints Oline was so good collectively that I feel like it can individually skew each players grade a bit. With that said, he would be a fantastic addition to our Oline for next season at that price tag of 7.65 million because part of it could be mitigated by releasing Redmond at his 2.133 Million cap hit. Basically adding 5.5 Million for a much better player on the OLine. I would guess an extension would be quite costly however. If I am his agent, I am pointing to Zeitler who is more than a year older than him and scheduled to make a base salary of 22 Million the next 2 seasons. With the cap going up and showing similar performance, he will be looking for 3-4 years for 10+ million annually. Not sure he would get that but I doubt 3/18 is even in the ballpark.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2020, 05:43 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: Warford graded out as the 8th best guard last season according to pff. Just below Zeitler. I take that with a grain of salt because the Saints Oline was so good collectively that I feel like it can individually skew each players grade a bit. With that said, he would be a fantastic addition to our Oline for next season at that price tag of 7.65 million because part of it could be mitigated by releasing Redmond at his 2.133 Million cap hit. Basically adding 5.5 Million for a much better player on the OLine. I would guess an extension would be quite costly however. If I am his agent, I am pointing to Zeitler who is more than a year older than him and scheduled to make a base salary of 22 Million the next 2 seasons. With the cap going up and showing similar performance, he will be looking for 3-4 years for 10+ million annually. Not sure he would get that but I doubt 3/18 is even in the ballpark.

I knew his overall was 71, but I didn't realize that he was rated 8th best Guard.  I also hadn't realized that he was a 3X Pro Bowl selection, either.  I don't subscribe to any services that give breakdowns on his grading, but he seems like a model of consistency.  If the Bengals are serious about making a big leap forward, I think he would definitely be a player worth investing in. (at least a little more than I suggested in my earlier post)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2020, 04:59 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I am against paying $8-$9 million for a decent but unspectacular lineman. If we do, we likely have to cut Andy, and then I favor spending a couple mil more and getting someone REALLY good.

Well I guess if we were forced to trade for Warford we could send them Shawn Williams and they send us a late round pick back for taking the extra $$. Until we move Andy or cut him one.
Reply/Quote
Bring in Warford and I'm way more comfortable letting Hart and Johnson battle it out at RT. Although Peters would still be a nice gesture
Reply/Quote
Why we trading for guy possibly getting cut? We get first dibs, right?
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 12:10 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Why we trading for guy possibly getting cut? We get first dibs, right?

If they want to accept his current contract, then trade.  

If he's cut, they negotiate their own deal, is that correct?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 12:10 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Why we trading for guy possibly getting cut? We get first dibs, right?

He's not in the first 4 years anymore to be subject to waivers so no.  You'd pay the 6th or 7th to beat another team to line up to sign a Pro Bowl need position in his prime.  I'm surprised by the reactions on this board on this one.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 12:41 PM)phil413 Wrote: He's not in the first 4 years anymore to be subject to waivers so no.  You'd pay the 6th or 7th to beat another team to line up to sign a Pro Bowl need position in his prime.  I'm surprised by the reactions on this board on this one.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I don't have PFF either, but Rotoworld's April 24 update on him says that PFF has him as the 30th rated guard out of 82 qualifiers. Are you guys sure he's not like maybe the 8th best *right guard* in the league?

Regardless, looking at the situation it does look like he's on the move one way or another.

According to Wikipedia last year he was the 3rd alternate to the pro bowl, so basically 6th in voting in the NFC. Don't get me wrong, I'd still welcome his addition at this point, via trade OR Fa signing.

Also per Wikipedia he graduated high school in Richmond, KY, about an hour and a half from Cincy. So locality may appeal to him.

One tradeable chip we have IMO is Alex Erickson. His return skills are redundant now that we have Wilson and Phillips (ha ha, Wilson Phillips), and right now he's like a 5th or 6th WR in the rotation for around 2M. We'd save 1.9 by trading him. And he's in the last year of his contract. And NO could use some depth at WR.

I don't see Shaun Williams as a viable trade chip for the following reasons: If NO is trading Wharton because of the cap, why would they want to take on another 4.4M for a safety? Also, that would just give us a depth problem at that position (not so with Erickson because back-of-the-roster WRs are a dime a dozen). Part of the point of bringing in Bell was that we'd have a great 3 safety look to compensate for our LB problems. We'd just be taking a step backward in that regard. I doubt Williams is going anywhere, folks.
Reply/Quote
Oh also Brian Callahan and Al Golden were both on the Lions' coaching staff during Warford's last year there, 2016.
Reply/Quote