Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some possible cuts... Larry Warford
(05-09-2020, 02:52 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: FWIW, Watford "only" made the Pro-Bowl this last year as a replacement.

I am not deep enough in the weeds on scheme/fit issues to say how a lineman fits, but it seems he is not a great fit and we orefer better movement to behemoth run blockers at G.

Also, Thuney is younger than Watford and an OH native. Centerville, I think. If he plays out this year on the tag he might be an option next year if we want a $10 million dollar guard.

I cannot believe I am typing this, but I think I lean no on this one.

Those are all valid points. This is not a clear cut question. Basically I just want them to do something, and this year not next, so Burrow doesn't get killed. Sure we have some guys who MIGHT be solid, but a position group with that many question marks rarely works out. 

I'd go so far as to trade for Thuney right now, but that's definitely a pipe dream. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 08:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not understanding why the Saints, a legit SB contender, would look to move Warford given their LG spot is (far) worse.
Just put Ruiz there.
I know the answer might be the salary cap hit, but the Saints are expected to pay only $4.7 mill for their draft picks and they have nearly $3 mill in cap space.
They could remove Nick Easton (much worse IOL) to get under that cap.

Because he wasn't actually that good and his bad pass protection got exposed and lost them important games.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 10:58 PM)phil413 Wrote: Yeah if he signs elsewhere I'll take a day or two off or I'm gonna be bitter.  Again, he's a local product pro bowl guard on a team in desperate need of one.  

MJ has very green potential and XSF is a 3mil/yr fringe option that has played LG.  They're a an ideal platoon or competiton on an average football team.  If Williams becomes a star at LT, the right side is still weak. I'd be elated if this were our line....even if Mixon held out and AJ doesn't get an extension (though signing Wolford doesn't preclude either especially with moving guaranteed money around.

LT Williams B grade?
LG MJ/XSF C grade
C   Hopkins C+
RG Warford A-
RT  Hart/Johnson C

Based off the stability Warford brings and the competiton that either provokes youth to shine or at least posseses depth...that's actually a descent line.  

GET IT DONE!!!  

(05-09-2020, 02:52 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: FWIW, Watford "only" made the Pro-Bowl this last year as a replacement.

I am not deep enough in the weeds on scheme/fit issues to say how a lineman fits, but it seems he is not a great fit and we orefer better movement to behemoth run blockers at G.

Also, Thuney is younger than Watford and an OH native. Centerville, I think. If he plays out this year on the tag he might be an option next year if we want a $10 million dollar guard.

I cannot believe I am typing this, but I think I lean no on this one.

Guys, his name is Warford, get it right lol

Bring him in is definitely my vote BTW and I heard we are interested just now.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 08:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Guys, his name is Warford, get it right lol

Bring him in is definitely my vote BTW and I heard we are interested just now.

I knew that. Sorry, fat fingers on my phone. R/T next to each other.
Reply/Quote
Well, if the staff thinks he fits scheme-wise, and the price is not too dear, I am OK with it.

But in terms of protecting Burrow, Worford gave up a team high 32 QB pressures last year. Pass blocking is not his strength. Though I read he was much better in the second half of the year.

Still, a team in win now mode just let him walk.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 08:41 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I knew that. Sorry, fat fingers on my phone. R/T next to each other.

Ah, understandable typing on your phone.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 08:45 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Well, if the staff thinks he fits scheme-wise, and the price is not too dear, I am OK with it.

But in terms of protecting Burrow, Worford gave up a team high 32 QB pressures last year. Pass blocking is not his strength. Though I read he was much better in the second half of the year.

Still, a team in win now mode just let him walk.

Still think Warford would be better than what we have, so I would be more than OK with it.

The Saints needed to let some money go which is why they moved on from him. His play wasn't the problem.

A good run game helps out a QB big time and this guy is a top run blocker and LSU's OL was much better in the run game than pass.

Mixon would have all kinds of holes running behind Warford.
Reply/Quote
A lot of puff pieces on the O line with Turner running around saying how much he loves everyone, including Price and Redmond.

I mean, with Turner loving those guys, despite how they played last year, he'd probably marry Warford (I got it right!) or Peters if we signed them.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 05:44 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: A lot of puff pieces on the O line with Turner running around saying how much he loves everyone, including Price and Redmond.

I mean, with Turner loving those guys, despite how they played last year, he'd probably marry Warford (I got it right!) or Peters if we signed them.

Well, as a guy who's played his share of OL in his lifetime, let me tell you something.  Every OL coach loves all of "his guys", until he doesn't..   LOL

And that "until he doesn't" can come at any moment, but usually when the team gives him someone who can do the job better.  Mellow

So what I'm really trying to say here is that if a Larry Warford were brought onto the team, one of it's loved ones would most likely end up getting disowned..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 06:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, as a guy who's played his share of OL in his lifetime, let me tell you something.  Every OL coach loves all of "his guys", until he doesn't..   LOL

And that "until he doesn't" can come at any moment, but usually when the team gives him someone who can do the job better.  Mellow

So what I'm really trying to say here is that if a Larry Warford were brought onto the team, one of it's loved ones would most likely end up getting disowned..

Fair point. I was trying (and failing) to be funny.

I mean, what is he going to say? "Our line sucks!" A coach is never going to say that, pre-season.

I guess what I found noteworthy was that he chose this particular time (post draft, Warford cut, Peters a FA) to start yabbering to anyone with a microphone or a blog about how much he loves the O line guys we have.

He loves the guys who got PFF grades of: 43.7, 62.4, 60.1, 57.7; 62.6, 50.6, and 41.8. Warford is +10 to our best guy, Peters +20.

Our highest rated guy started one game (vs a poor defense). Our biggest potential addition was hurt all last year and has not played one NFL snap. 

It could come up all roses. We got better as the year went on. Collectively and individually. One guy went to an OL guru. We added XSF and a 6th round guy. 

I'd still prefer to have a proven guy, somewhere. In case things do not come up roses. Joe is too important.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 10:03 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Fair point. I was trying (and failing) to be funny.

I mean, what is he going to say? "Our line sucks!" A coach is never going to say that, pre-season.

I guess what I found noteworthy was that he chose this particular time (post draft, Warford cut, Peters a FA) to start yabbering to anyone with a microphone or a blog about how much he loves the O line guys we have.

He loves the guys who got PFF grades of: 43.7, 62.4, 60.1, 57.7; 62.6, 50.6, and 41.8. Warford is +10 to our best guy, Peters +20.

Our highest rated guy started one game (vs a poor defense). Our biggest potential addition was hurt all last year and has not played one NFL snap. 

It could come up all roses. We got better as the year went on. Collectively and individually. One guy went to an OL guru. We added XSF and a 6th round guy. 

I'd still prefer to have a proven guy, somewhere. In case things do not come up roses. Joe is too important.

I hear ya.  Which is why I was pointing out that his sudden "love fest" was just likely coach speak for "get me some freaking talent to work with".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I want(ed) him,but did just read he is coming off a knee injury. Problem is hard to get him checked out medically right now and is his weight in check? This big guys with leg injuries have trouble keeping weight down at times.

But I wish we would bring him in and give Jordan time to get stronger and develop if his medicals check out and we can get him for a decent price.

He could be difference of 8 wins versus 9 wins and making the playoffs.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
So Warford hasn't been picked up yet? Hmm

Reply/Quote
In terms of signing FAs, there is no rush. I think most teams want to see what they have first/have other priorities. And if a player has injury concerns (like Warford apparently does), I think teams are gonna want medicals/physicals before signing.

As for us, we need to ink at least one of Mixon/AJ. Each will affect our cap. Mixon's would take a bite out, Green's should add some space. If worst comes to worst, we can keep tagging whomever is not signed, but we can only tag one.

Beyond OL, I think we could use a pass catching TE (Eifert tied for 2nd in receptions last year, I think), and some DL depth.

Would much prefer Peters/Warford.
Reply/Quote
Disregard.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2020, 04:32 PM)ZWP Wrote: Warford to the Eagles.

Where are you seeing that?  I just searched, and nothing..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2020, 04:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Where are you seeing that?  I just searched, and nothing..

Nevermind. It was a fake Schefter account.
Reply/Quote
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cincinnati.com/amp/5237333002

Just a pundit's opinion, but putting it here. Makes too much sense.
Reply/Quote
Tired of seeing all the Bengals should sign Warford on Twitter. Just don't think its even close to happening.
Reply/Quote
I would rather see us use the $$$ to sign Mixon to a 3yr extension. We are #1 in the waiver wire, someone will get cut during training camp at the G/T position and we can probably upgrade there a lot cheaper, if we are even looking to upgrade. I for one would actually like to give Jordan the benefit of the doubt as he was a very solid prospect coming out last year.
Reply/Quote