Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some tidbits about the schedule
Bengals schedule breakdown

Game 1 VS Chargers
2019 Record: 5-11

Key additions: Bryan Bulaga OT, Linval Joseph DT, Chris Harris CB, Justin Herbert QB, Kenneth Murray LB, NICK VIGIL LB

Key departures: Philip Rivers QB, Melvin Gordon HB, Russell Okung OT, Travis Benjamin WR

Other tidbits:
Bengals home opener against a team that is traveling from the pacific timezone with potentially a rookie QB. Interestingly, the game is slated at 4 pm local which will feel like a 1 pm game time for the Chargers,
The new linebacker core and defensive scheme will get an interesting early test with Austin Ekeler and Hunter Henry. Ekeler (HB) caught 92 balls last season for 993 yards last season and Henry at TE who in 12 games went 55 for 652.

The Chargers defense allowed the 12th least amount of points last season. An interesting fact from last season is the Chargers were 28th in the league in sacks last season with 30 and didn't do much through the draft or free agency to help that. That could be a good situation for the Bengals keeping Burrow upright in his first game.  The Chargers were also last in forcing turnovers in the league with 11 interceptions and only forcing 6 fumbles and recovering 3.  

Game 2 AT Browns
2019 Record: 6-10

Key additions: Andrew Billings DT, Jack Conklin OT, Austin Hooper TE, BJ Goodson LB, Karl Joseph S, Jedrick Wills OT, Grant Delpit S, Jordan Elliott DT

Key Departures: Joe Schobert LB, Demarious Randall S

Other tidbits:
Cincinnati gets their Thursday night game out of the way early this season which I feel like is a good thing since bodies will still be fresh so to speak. If you are not going to play it at home, then having a home game before it and then a short travel is about as good as it can get.
In terms of x's and o's, this might be the most interesting game on the schedule. Usually, for a divisional opponent there is a ton of familiarity but in this case with Cleveland bringing in a new regime and the Bengals coaching staff having a ton of new pieces including QB, there will be more unfamiliarity than one might expect for this battle of Ohio. Match that with a short turn around and for me it is very interesting.
Another interesting part to this is the prior week, Cleveland travels to Baltimore. Not exactly the best way to start this season for them. That could play a factor in this game especially if they lay an egg in Baltimore's home opener. This early season tilt could be a game the Bengals steal in Cleveland.

Game 3 AT Eagles

2019 Record: 9-7 Divisional Champs

Key additions: Javon Hargrave DT, Darius Slay DB, Rodney McLeod S, Jalen Mills S,
Jalen Reagor WR, John Hightower WR, K'von Wallace DB

Key Departures: Jason Peters OT, Nelson Agholor WR, Vinny Curry DE, Timmy Jernigan DT, Malcolm Jennings S

Other tidbits:
Cincinnati is coming off of a mini-bye week which will probably be a good thing. It will give them some extra time to evaluate the first couple of games and a few extra days to continue to work in some scheme related items and clean up some other stuff. Hopefully the Bengals are sitting at 2-0.

Philadelphia can be an extremely difficult place to play and they are extremely well coached. The injury bug really decimated their WR core last season and Wentz and Ertz hasn't been the most durable either but considering the Bengals are catching them early in the season I assume both teams will be pretty healthy.

Cincinnati is catching them on a good part of the schedule for them as they open at Washington and then play the Rams at home meaning back to back home games.

Game 4 VS Jaguars

Key additions: Joe Schobert LB, CJ Henderson DB, K'lavon Chaisson DE, Laviska Shenault JR, WR, Davon Hamilton DT

Key Departures: AJ Bouye DB, Jake Ryan LB, Calais Campbell DT, Marcell Dareus DT

Other tidbits:
Jacksonville has a home date with the Dolphins in week 3. I think that is a big deal for the Bengals given the geography of the two teams. This is one of the few teams the Bengals should beat handily on paper and will likely be the opponent they will be the biggest favorite in for the entire season.
Jacksonville can still rush the passer with Ngakoue (potentially), Josh Allen and the addition of Chaisson so this could be a serious test for the Cincinnati tackles. Jacksonville accumulated 47 sacks last season.

I know the season is broken down in quarters for teams. If the Bengals want to be considered as playoff contenders, a 3-1 start would be huge.

Game 5 AT Baltimore
2019 Record: 14-2 Division Champs

Key additions: Calais Campbell DT, Derek Wolfe DL, Patrick Queen LB, JK Dobbins RB, Justin Madubuike DT, Devin Duvernay WR, Ben Bredeson G, DJ Fluker G, Malik Harrison LB

Key Departures: Hayden Hurst TE, Marshall Yanda G

Other tidbits:
This is the first of back to back road games including a stretch of opening up the season with 4 out of 6 away games. Cincinnati obviously went 0-2 last season vs Baltimore and got trounced in the 2nd meeting 49-13. Surprisingly, the Bengals only lost 23-17 at Baltimore last season but Baltimore was also coming off of a game at Pittsburgh. No such luck this season as they will be returning home from a match-up with the Redskins.

The Bengals have been spending the entire off-season adding pieces to defend Baltimore's rushing attack. They will get an opportunity to see how much they have closed the gap. Burrow will also get his first look at a top tier defense in the NFL and he will certainly be tested.

These AFC north games seem to take their toll on teams in these divisional match-ups. Biggest hope here is no injuries and the Bengals show that they are on their way to being able to compete with the Ravens in the near future.

Game 6 AT Colts
2019 Record: 7-9

Key additions: Philip Rivers QB, Deforest Buckner DT, Michael Pittman JR WR, Jonathan Taylor RB, Julian Blackmon S

Key Departures: Devin Funchess WR, Dontrelle Inman WR, Eric Ebron TE

Other tidbits:
Indianapolis has a pretty fair schedule to start out the season. @ Jacksonville, then 2 home games vs Minn and the Jets, then 2 road games against the Bears and Browns. It will be interesting to see how they fair in those games or more importantly how Rivers plays.

I really wish that the two road games for the Bengals were flip flopped but they are not. I think traveling to Baltimore first then going to Indy puts the Bengals in a tough spot for this game which is unfortunate because I view the Colts as an average football team.

Another interesting component will be the Colts offensive line vs the Bengals defensive line which are probably viewed as the biggest strengths for each team.

Game 7 VS Browns

Key additions: Andrew Billings DT, Jack Conklin OT, Austin Hooper TE, BJ Goodson LB, Karl Joseph S, Jedrick Wills OT, Grant Delpit S, Jordan Elliott DT

Key Departures: Joe Schobert LB, Demarious Randall S

Other tidbits:
The second battle of Ohio will occur before the midpoint of the schedule this time at the friendly confines of the jungle. With the Bengals having played half of their total away games for the entire season by week 6, hopefully they are coming away 4-2 and at worst 3-3.

Having faced off in week 2 with a ton of unknowns for both teams, it will be interesting to see which coaching staff makes the better adjustments in this second game. I personally think it will be telling for this Bengals staff in a lot of ways. This is a game the Bengals need to win.

I like this spot a lot for the Bengals especially if they could pull off a win in Indianapolis. The Browns will be coming off a road match-up with the Steelers which I feel like is usually an advantage for the next opponent particularly on the road. It is interesting that the Bengals face Cleveland right after they are on the road in Baltimore and then Pittsburgh.

Game 8 VS Tennessee
2019 Record: 9-7 Wildcard

Key additions:  Vic Beasley DE, Dennis Kelly OT, Isaiah Wilson OT, Khristian Fulton DB

Key Departures: Tajae Sharpe WR, Jack Conklin OT, Jurrell Casey DT, Logan Ryan DB

Other tidbits:
This already tough match-up gets increasingly more difficult once you look at the Titans schedule. Not only do they have 3 consecutive home games in weeks 4, 5 and 6 albeit against tough opponents (Pitt, Buf, and their rival Houston), they have a week 7 bye week.

This will be another test against one of the top rushing attacks in the league. Hopefully, by week 8 the Bengals are still relatively healthy and their defense is gelling. If they could do enough to slow down the rushing attack then they would have a chance in this game. That is what a lot of the off-season has been gearing towards with the pieces that they have added.

This 2nd quarter of the schedule is really tough. I feel like playing the Colts after the Ravens on the road is a tough spot and Tennessee coming off of 3 home games and a bye week is another tough spot. The most likely scenario here is 1-3 so I feel like 2-2 here would be pretty solid.

Game 9 AT Steelers
2019 Record: 8-8

Key additions: Ben Rothlisberger QB, Eric Ebron TE, Chase Claypool WR, Alex Highsmith DE

Key Departures: Javon Hargrave DT, Artie Burns DB

Other tidbits:
The Bengals will be coming off of a bye week which should be helpful in this match-up. The Steelers will be coming off a road tilt with Baltimore followed by a bye week and then a trip to Dallas. This is another case in the schedule where the Bengals have back to back road games starting with a divisional opponent.

Hopefully, this coaching staff over the bye week can get Burrow and the offense up to speed on this Steelers stingy defense. Allowing only 17.8 points per game last season while creating an astounding 38 turnovers this will be quite the challenge for the offense. It will be interesting to see how well Burrow transitions from the first half of the season to the second half of the season.

Game 10 AT Redskins
2019 Record: 3-13

Key additions: Ron Rivera Coach, Sean Davis S, Kendall Fuller DB, Thomas Davis LB, Chase Young DE, Saahdiq Charles OT, Antonio Gibson WR, Kyle Allen QB, Antonio Gandy Golden WR

Key Departures: Ereck Flowers OT, Josh Norman DB, Trent Williams OT, Jordan Reed TE

Other tidbits:
The Redskins are not a good football team but this is a tough spot for the Bengals playing consecutive road tilts with the first one against the Steelers. While the Redskins are not a good football team on paper, Ron Rivera to me is a pretty good coach.

Their defensive line will be a tough match-up for the Bengals. Last season, they produced 46 sacks and they added Chase Young to that already talented front. This match-up alone could be the difference maker in this road game. This is a contest the Bengals need to prevail in if they are in the playoff mix and it is one that will likely be tougher than most people think just due to this match-up.

Game 11 VS NY GIANTS
2019 Record: 4-12

Key additions: James Bradbury DB, Blake Martinez LB, Kyler Fackrell LB, Andrew Thomas OT, Xavier McKinney S, Matt Peart OT

Key Departures: Eli Manning QB, Cody Latimore WR,

Other tidbits:
This is the only home game in the 3rd quarter of the season. I like this spot for the Bengals as the Giants are not a good football team and they have a new unproven coach. This will however be the second team that Cincinnati plays that is coming off of a bye week so that does add a bit more of a challenge.

At this point in the season, the Giants will have played an incredibly tough schedule. They will have played 5 of their home games against the Steelers, Tampa Bay, San Francisco, Philly and Washington while having made road trips to Dallas, Rams, Bears, Eagles and Washington. They could easily be sitting 1-9 or 2-8.

Game 12 AT Miami
2019 Record: 5-11

Key additions: Ereck Flowers OT, Byron Jones DB, Jordan Howard RB, Kyle Van Noy LB, Emmanuel Ogbah DE, Shaq Lawson DE, Tua Tagovialoa QB, Austin Jackson OT, Noah Igbinoghene DB, Robert Hunt G, Raekwon Davis DT

Key Departures: None

Other Tidbits:
Miami has added a ton of talent in this off-season and they also have a really good coach. This will obviously be billed as Tua vs Burrow and will be a game that garners national attention as these 2 QB's will be forever linked together. Even if both teams have subpar records, I feel like it will be a spirited contest at the very least and a very important game to both front offices.

In a weird scheduling pattern, Miami plays the Jets in a home and home with a bye week between the two games prior to playing the Bengals. I don't think it matters as this game will get some national hype and both teams will be ready to play.

The added kicker here for this game would be if both teams were in the playoff discussion some how. Flores won 5 games last season with a team that was trying to tank. Hopefully, Cincinnati has the right coaching staff in place to help Cincinnati flourish as well.

This completes the 3rd quarter of the season. 3 road games and a home game with 4 teams that didn't have a winning record last season. I feel like 2-2 is probable here but 3-1 would put them in the playoff hunt big time if the other 2 quarters went well. 3-1, 2-2 and 3-1. Possibility for 8-4 in best case scenario in my opinion.

Game 13 VS Dallas

Key additions: Ceedee Lamb WR, Anthony Brown DB, Ha Ha Clinton Dix S, Dontari Poe DT, Gerald McCoy DT, Andy Dalton QB, Trevon Diggs DB, Neville Gallimore DT,  Tyler Biadasz C

Key Departures: Byron Jones DB, Randall Cobb WR, Jason Witten TE, Robert Quinn DE, Michael Bennett DE, Travis Frederick C,

Other Tidbits:

This could be a tad of a letdown spot for the Bengals after 3 of 4 road games and the Tua/Burrow game but it is the Cowboys with Dalton on the roster. I actually love this spot for the Bengals. This is one game that is placed on the schedule that smells like an upset. Dallas in Cincinnati in December. Dallas plays at Baltimore on a thursday night prior to this contest so they do get the mini bye but they have a date with San Francisco at home after this game. Baltimore Cincy then SF. Trap game anyone? Especially in a potentially cold weather environment.

As a side note, it would be interesting if Dalton somehow played in that game. Just saying!

Game 14: VS Steelers MNF

Key additions: Ben Rothlisberger QB, Eric Ebron TE, Chase Claypool WR, Alex Highsmith DE

Key Departures: Javon Hargrave DT, Artie Burns DB

Other Tidbits:
Another scenario where Burrow gets a second look at a team. If these group of coaches are going to move this team forward, they have to be able to hold home turf against the divisional teams. At this point in the season, a lot will be known. Are the Bengals in the playoff hunt or are they just trying to continue to show improvement while the season winds down? If nothing else, maybe they are trying to play spoilers on the Steelers playoff hopes. Nothing like showing out on Monday Night Football either.
I like this spot again for the Bengals. With games against Washington, Giants, Dolphins and a potential upset win of Dallas maybe they are rolling and playing well. Full of confidence and ready to put the Steelers in their place. The Steelers are an aging group and by game 14 hopefully some of that tread on their tires is falling off.

Game 15 AT Houston
2019 Record: 10-6

Key additions: Brandon Cooks WR, Randall Cobb WR, Darren Fells TE, David Johnson RB, Timmy Jernigan DT

Key Departures: Deandre Hopkins WR, DJ Reader DT, Tashaun Gipson S

Other Tidbits:
This probably isn't the best spot for the Bengals coming off a game MNF game with Pittsburgh and having to travel to Houston. The Pittsburgh game is bound to be a spirited, physical contest and then the short week to travel to Houston.

With that said, Houston is an enigma to me. Some of their off-season moves were beyond suspect. Maybe all this insanity catches up with them and leads to a poor season from them with nothing to play for by week 15 although I kind of doubt that.

Game 16 VS Baltimore
2019 Record: 14-2 Division Champs

Key additions: Calais Campbell DT, Derek Wolfe DL, Patrick Queen LB, JK Dobbins RB, Justin Madubuike DT, Devin Duvernay WR, Ben Bredeson G, DJ Fluker G, Malik Harrison LB

Key Departures: Hayden Hurst TE, Marshall Yanda G

Other Tidbits:
For those hoping that Baltimore is resting their roster by week 16, there is only one team that is eligible for a bye week per each conference. It is more likely than not that Baltimore will have something to play for in this week. The Bengals will likely face the full attack of Baltimore but it will be a good final exam to their off-season project if they are not a playoff team at this point. Hopefully, there will be a great number of positives over the season to this point.

The 4th quarter has ended. 1-3 seems probable but 2-2 would be solid.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
How DARE you leave out Nick Vigil in the Chargers key additions!

I have it on good authority the president of his fan club is still a prominent member here, and you are surely going to get a piece of his mind.

Reply/Quote
I thought the 7 team playoff schedule started in 2021 not next year? That would change your 2nd Baltimore game slightly maybe 
Reply/Quote
Wow. This is a great write up! Rep.

-Only three teams travel fewer miles than the Bengals. Houston is the only game outside the Eastern Time Zone.

-Getting the Thursday night game that early in the season is a big bonus. I think Thursday night games are ridiculous. They give teams less than 100 hours to recover and prepare for another team. Every team playing a Thursday night game should be coming off a bye week. I thought they would address this in the new CBA, but I guess even the players like the extra money enough to put up with them.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 09:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Wow.  This is a great write up!  Rep.

-Only three teams travel fewer miles than the Bengals.  Houston is the only game outside the Eastern Time Zone.

-Getting the Thursday night game that early in the season is a big bonus.  I think Thursday night games are ridiculous.  They give teams less than 100 hours to recover and prepare for another team.  Every team playing a Thursday night game should be coming off a bye week.  I thought they would address this in the new CBA, but I guess even the players like the extra money enough to put up with them.

and that Thursday game is in Cleveland, our second shortest roadtrip of the year

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
My first thought in scanning the schedule is...we play a LOT of bad teams. Granted fans of other teams are thinking the same thing when it comes seeing us on their schedule but not many, if any, of those teams improved their team in the offseason at the level of what, it appears, the Bengals did. I tend to be an optimist but I really think we can hit .500 and make a push for a playoff spot.
Reply/Quote
Pittsburgh after the bye. I sure hope Taylor is able to use the bye week more effectively than Merv, who's teams always seemed to lay an egg coming off a bye week.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 10:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Pittsburgh after the bye. I sure hope Taylor is able to use the bye week more effectively than Merv, who's teams always seemed to lay an egg coming off a bye week.

It’s a well timed bye for us. Our LB’s are going to be sore from tackling Derrick Henry the week before...

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 10:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Our LB’s are going to be sore from tackling Derrick  Henry the week before...

Nick Vigil wouldn't be.

*hanging curveball*
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 10:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Nick Vigil wouldn't be.

*hanging curveball*

His ankles are still recovering from Lamar posterizing him so badly...

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 09:39 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: I thought the 7 team playoff schedule started in 2021 not next year? That would change your 2nd Baltimore game slightly maybe 

No I believe it's the 17 game regular season that starts in 2021, but the expanded playoff system starts this year. In my understanding at least. 
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 11:50 AM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: No I believe it's the 17 game regular season that starts in 2021, but the expanded playoff system starts this year. In my understanding at least. 

Correct:

Quote:The league announced Tuesday that NFL owners have officially voted to expand the playoffs by two teams -- one from each conference, bringing the grand total from 12 to 14 -- starting with the 2020 season.Mar 31, 2020

NFL owners approve playoff expansion for 2020 season
[url=https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-owners-approve-playoff-expansion-for-2020-season-adding-one-team-per-conference/][/url]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 11:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: His ankles are still recovering from Lamar posterizing him so badly...

I was thinking more.  .  .  "You don't get sore from tackling air."
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 06:15 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How DARE you leave out Nick Vigil in the Chargers key additions!

I have it on good authority the president of his fan club is still a prominent member here, and you are surely going to get a piece of his mind.

Nick Vigil added heh Sorry!
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 02:00 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: Nick Vigil added heh Sorry!

Damn, you really did your homework on this one bud, great job. Will have to look at this more closely when I have more time. Rock On
Reply/Quote
A lot of winnable games. The opener should really be a fun one if both rookie QBs start. Bosa is my biggest concern in that he can pants anyone on our offensive line.

I think this team could go 8-8, but make a big jump in Burrows second year (if we invest in the offensive line).
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote