Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somebody help me understand
(01-10-2021, 10:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote:  One of the statistical issues with the defense was an offense that couldn't sustain drives.  

Bengals offense was close to top 10 in both total plays (13th) and time of possession (12th).
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 10:46 PM)Synric Wrote: They can make the Bengals a dangerous football team by attacking the offensive and defensive lines. 

that is my point.. how do you fix  5 to 6 positions in one year... you can't..this year they will focus I believe on both lines in FA and Draft plus add to other areas of need.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 10:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Including a career backup like XSF as one of the main pieces given to the offense says it all...

The defense got 4 starters from playoff teams (Reader, Bell, Waynes, Alexander).

Yep and they needed them..sadly they mostly got hurt. They point you obviously missed was they did address the line with Filo..he was signed for 3 years, and had started before...you might not like the pick but they did add a lineman..
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 12:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals offense was close to top 10 in both total plays (13th) and time of possession (12th).

That is just as much a reflection of defensive ineptitude.  The offense in the first steelers game went 3 and out on three consecutive drives.  Where time of possession isn't always indicative of offensive possession with the way the clock stops on incompletions, but continues to run on rushing downs.  

As poor as the time of possession was week 17 against the Ravens:  40:31/29.9, the first Ravens game was just as pathetic a score, but the Bengals had a time of possession advantage of 34.39/25.21.  The defense played much better in the first meeting, but the offense was horrible.  Time of possession and total plays is simply not a good indicator of how just an offense performed.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 02:03 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: that is my point.. how do you fix  5 to 6 positions in one year... you can't..
Yes, you can.  Free agency is the answer to how you accomplish this.

And you couldn't pick a better year to do it.  There's going to be a number of players released, and there's going to be a number of players who allowed to walk from expiring contracts due to the decreased salary cap.  The market should be flooded with starting caliber players.

Many are speculating that outside of the very top guys, the guys who will go quick in free agency, you'll see 2nd tier prices plummet.
IMHO, I think you're going to see a lot of quality vets sign cheaper 1 year deals while they allow the market to reset back to normal spending.  This is how you can quickly plug holes.  I think we could snag a few players on salaries similar to what we paid for Von Bell who sat on the market past the spending sprees.

I think everyone should take a long look at the current projections in cap space.  There's 12 teams who are currently over the projections.  If you really pay close attention to both the space and the amount of players under contract you'll see some serious examples of teams are going to be cash strapped.  Examples:  The Tennessee Titans are projected to have only 6.7 mil in space with only 33 players under contract.   The Chiefs sit at -16 mil with only 36 players under contract, Steelers at -21 with only 35 players, etc.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

Even if the cap isn't decreased as much as some are speculating, there's still going to be a flooded market.  We need to capitalize on this by bring in proven talent to plug in.  With our current space, and with the space we can create with a few cuts, this team is primed to be able to add a serious influx of talent. (If they choose to be agressive and make the right moves)
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 02:19 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Time of possession and total plays is simply not a good indicator of how just an offense performed.

I am not saying it is.

I am just pointing out that you can't blame poor defensive play on being on the filed too much when they were on the field less time than the offense.

Browns... 434 yds in just 26:21 and 6 fewer plays than Bengals.
Jags... 429 yds in just 26:49 and 8 fewer plays 
Ravens... 332 yds in just 25:21 and 3 fewer plays
Colts... 425 yds in just 25:32 and 13 fewer plays
Browns... 398 yds in just 27:03 and 22 fewer plays
Titans... 441 yds in just 24:03 and 9 fewer plays
Texans... 488 yds in just 23:50 and 20 fewer plays
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 02:38 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Yes, you can.  Free agency is the answer to how you accomplish this.

And you couldn't pick a better year to do it.  There's going to be a number of players released, and there's going to be a number of players who allowed to walk from expiring contracts due to the decreased salary cap.  The market should be flooded with starting caliber players.

Many are speculating that outside of the very top guys, the guys who will go quick in free agency, you'll see 2nd tier prices plummet.
IMHO, I think you're going to see a lot of quality vets sign cheaper 1 year deals while they allow the market to reset back to normal spending.  This is how you can quickly plug holes.  I think we could snag a few players on salaries similar to what we paid for Von Bell who sat on the market past the spending sprees.

I think everyone should take a long look at the current projections in cap space.  There's 12 teams who are currently over the projections.  If you really pay close attention to both the space and the amount of players under contract you'll see some serious examples of teams are going to be cash strapped.  Examples:  The Tennessee Titans are projected to have only 6.7 mil in space with only 33 players under contract.   The Chiefs sit at -16 mil with only 36 players under contract, Steelers at -21 with only 35 players, etc.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

Even if the cap isn't decreased as much as some are speculating, there's still going to be a flooded market.  We need to capitalize on this by bring in proven talent to plug in.  With our current space, and with the space we can create with a few cuts, this team is primed to be able to add a serious influx of talent. (If they choose to be agressive and make the right moves)
Very difficult  to totally revamp a team in a year, the major revamp started last year and will continue this year that is the point.  Last year we replaced roughly 10 starters, this year will probably be around 5 to 6.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 04:12 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Very difficult  to totally revamp a team in a year, the major revamp started last year and will continue this year that is the point.

So two years then.  If we started  "reavamping" last year and continue this year, that's more than a single year is it not?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 04:16 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So two years then.  If we started  "reavamping" last year and continue this year, that's more than a single year is it not?

Yes, which is what I responded with in my first post to this thread that we just could not do it all last year as suggested by the thread starter
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 02:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not saying it is.

I am just pointing out that you can't blame poor defensive play on being on the filed too much when they were on the field less time than the offense.

Browns... 398 yds in just 27:03 and 22 fewer plays
Texans... 488 yds in just 23:50 and 20 fewer plays

You listed 7 games out of a possible 16, and happened to chose three wins and also their 7 best offensive outputs.  Of course the defense was on the field less, but it is still a part of the equation to helping a defense statistically.  

Recent tweet from Joe Goodberry: "When I watch Lamar run all over the Bengals, I'm reminded that they have scored 57 points on the Ravens in their last 5 games.  That's 11.4 points per game.  Sure, they don't have enough speed on defense, but that's not going to save you.  Scoring on offense will"
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 02:18 AM)J24 Wrote: We gave up 35+ points in 4 of our six division games, were dead last in sacks, bottom 5 in QB pressures, dead last in TFLs, and 26th in redzone defense. On top of that our Top CB and Top Edge Rusher are both free agents.

Hobson says its best to bring him back for “continuity”. Let’s keep it going!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 08:04 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: You listed 7 games out of a possible 16, and happened to chose three wins and also their 7 best offensive outputs.  Of course the defense was on the field less, but it is still a part of the equation to helping a defense statistically.  

Recent tweet from Joe Goodberry: "When I watch Lamar run all over the Bengals, I'm reminded that they have scored 57 points on the Ravens in their last 5 games.  That's 11.4 points per game.  Sure, they don't have enough speed on defense, but that's not going to save you.  Scoring on offense will"
They have the #2 defense it's also going to be hard to score on them. The Ravens are a complete team just like the Steelers are on a yearly basis. Expecting to beat them with just one side of the ball is pure stupidity. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 10:46 PM)Synric Wrote: They can make the Bengals a dangerous football team by attacking the offensive and defensive lines. 

hiring good coaches will help too
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 08:04 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: You listed 7 games out of a possible 16,

Wrong.  I posted the numbers for all 16 games

(01-10-2021, 12:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals offense was close to top 10 in both total plays (13th) and time of possession (12th).

Can't blame the offense for how bad the defense sucked.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 11:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Wrong.  I posted the numbers for all 16 games

Browns... 398 yds in just 27:03 and 22 fewer plays
Texans... 488 yds in just 23:50 and 20 fewer plays

I see 7?
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 01:47 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I see 7?

These numbers are for all 16 games.

Reply/Quote