Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something Different to discuss
So at this point the board is divided into three groups.

Draft Sewell and fix the long broken O-line.

Draft Chase and add talent to an already talented group.

Draft Pitts and add a unique weapon. (Probably going to Atlanta though)

No one is changing their opinion at this point no matter the evidence from podcasters for Chase, or the Get up team for Sewell or it really doesn't matter.

And at this point every thread turns into more of the same... so... here I give a chance to discuss something different.

What will it take for you to consider the upcoming season for the Bengals a success?

Is it a win total that must be hit? It is growth from certain players? What would you need to see in the 2021 NFL season to feel that it was a successful season and that the team is going in the right direction?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Playoff berth.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
If Burrow plays and moves as good as he did last year before the injury and he finishes the season without being hurt again.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 10:04 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Playoff berth.

Do you think the team has enough talent to really push for a playoff spot in the AFC though?

Buffalo, KC, Baltimore, Cleveland, Miami, Tennessee have good rosters, then you have New England who you can't count out, and Indy might be interesting, same for the Chargers.

If they win 9 games and don't go to the playoffs is it good enough growth?

Reply/Quote
Pieces from FA last year and this year proving their worth. A defense that can hold a lead, and apply some pressure. Some semblance of a running game.

To me, it isn’t so much about the wins as it is progress in those areas. I think progress there will lead to the wins along the way. If we end up 6-11 but made progress I’m those areas and look like we are just one more offseason away I’d be ok with it... guess I have low standards.
Reply/Quote
Us being above .500, improvement to coaching, Burrow staying healthy
Reply/Quote
1. Burrow back healthy.
2. Burrow stays healthy.
3. Burrow plays well.
4. 7 wins or more
Reply/Quote
Playoffs. It as simple as that.
Im not into.morale victories.
Reply/Quote
Wins. Taylor needs to start winning
Reply/Quote
>.500 wins would be a good start. Playoff berth would be better. To be completely honest, anything short of a Super zBowl ring is considered a failure in the grand scheme of things.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 10:07 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Do you think the team has enough talent to really push for a playoff spot in the AFC though?

Buffalo, KC, Baltimore, Cleveland, Miami, Tennessee have good rosters, then you have New England who you can't count out, and Indy might be interesting, same for the Chargers.

If they win 9 games and don't go to the playoffs is it good enough growth?

Yes.  I think they have the talent.  Coaches are suppose to get the most of that talent out of them by scheme and motivation.  I'm not into moral victories either as another poster said.

We have such low expectations as as Bengals fans.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
1. A playoff berth. Three years is an eternity in the NFL to turn things around. Many good coaches have turned around 2-4 win teams in ONE season. Three is enough.

2. Protect Joe Burrow. He's the franchise player. I know some are sick of hearing this, but I'm sick of seeing our QB's get sacked 40+ times and taking major hits every game.

3. A better defense. Many (myself included) didn't like the Lou hire. It seemed like we struggled to find a DC and settled on a guy with a very underwhelming resume. A career position coach whose position never/rarely shined under his tutelage.

For the last 2 off-seasons, we've been signing soooo many players for this guy. DJ Reader, Vonn Bell, Mike Daniels, Trae Waynes and Mackensie Alexander last year. Trey Hendrickson, Larry Ogunjobi, Eli Apple, Mike Hilton, Chidobe Awuzie, etc this year.

We've completely remade the defense for this guy. No excuses moving forward.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
If Burrow stays healthy with all moves we have made last 2 yrs, Burrow needs to at the least lead us to 8 wins.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 10:08 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Pieces from FA last year and this year proving their worth. A defense that can hold a lead, and apply some pressure. Some semblance of a running game.

To me, it isn’t so much about the wins as it is progress in those areas. I think progress there will lead to the wins along the way. If we end up 6-11 but made progress I’m those areas and look like we are just one more offseason away I’d be ok with it... guess I have low standards.

I wouldnt call that low standards all things considered. We have been rebuilding most of the team the last 2 years and have a lot of young guys who have to grow still. The days of AJ, Atkins and Dunlap are over and were over before ZT took over. They were all great players and the core of the team for a long time. Beyond that we were totally empty at OL, LB and weak at CB when ZT took over. It was more than a 1-2 offseason fix. As much as I think we will see improvement this year, the playoffs are most likely another year away no matter who the coach is. I think 7-8 wins is realistic with a ceiling of 9-10, but it will depend on injuries because we still have depth issues especially on the OL, and Burrow may have some adjustment time after his injury. 
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 10:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. A playoff berth. Three years is an eternity in the NFL to turn things around. Many good coaches have turned around 2-4 win teams in ONE season. Three is enough.

2. Protect Joe Burrow. He's the franchise player. I know some are sick of hearing this, but I'm sick of seeing our QB's get sacked 40+ times and taking major hits every game.

3. A better defense. Many (myself included) didn't like the Lou hire. It seemed like we struggled to find a DC and settled on a guy with a very underwhelming resume. A career position coach whose position never/rarely shined under his tutelage.

For the last 2 off-seasons, we've been signing soooo many players for this guy. DJ Reader, Vonn Bell, Mike Daniels, Trae Waynes and Mackensie Alexander last year. Trey Hendrickson, Larry Ogunjobi, Eli Apple, Mike Hilton, Chidobe Awuzie, etc this year.

We've completely remade the defense for this guy. No excuses moving forward.

I'm really with you on option 3 here. The team has invested in the Defense via free agency like we've never seen before. There is no excuse for them not to be a much improved unit. Watching teams march down the field on them last season like it was nothing was super frustrating.

Also, I'd like to add that personally, I'd like to see some growth out of our LB's. 

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 10:31 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'm really with you on option 3 here. The team has invested in the Defense via free agency like we've never seen before. There is no excuse for them not to be a much improved unit. Watching teams march down the field on them last season like it was nothing was super frustrating.

Also, I'd like to add that personally, I'd like to see some growth out of our LB's. 

I agree the defense has to show something this year. If not Lou must be gone, period. Burrow is coming off injury and the D needs to help keep some pressure off him. Injuries and covid hurt the D last year. But no more excuses for Lou. My biggest worry as of now is the OL and its depth. We have to be able to run the ball and stop the run.
Reply/Quote
9 wins. If that's not realistic with the current roster after free agency and the draft, that means that the roster was mis-managed. If this coaching staff can't attain 9 wins after three years, they aren't the right staff for the job. 
Reply/Quote
Making the playoffs and winning first playoff game in 30 years.It’s time to get it done.The front office has dilly dallied around long enough.They should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this franchise to go this long without winning one single playoff game.But of course they’re not.
Reply/Quote
One thing is for sure, there will be no .500.

It's either a winning season or a losing season.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 10:45 PM)jj22 Wrote: One thing is for sure, there will be no .500.

It's either a winning season or a losing season.

But what if we tie a game?

Reply/Quote