Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something The Bengals Would NEVER Do With Lewis
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18263718/jeff-fisher-fired-coach-st-louis-rams

It absolutely kills me that the Bengals front office is completely content with being just "competitive" enough and keep Lewis on as long as he wants. I definitely would say ONLY in Cincinnati would does this happen! I chalk one big reason up to laziness on the front office's part due to Marvin being so involved in the day to day operations.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 04:55 PM)GodFather Wrote: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18263718/jeff-fisher-fired-coach-st-louis-rams

It absolutely kills me that the Bengals front office is completely content with being just "competitive" enough and keep Lewis on as long as he wants. I definitely would say ONLY in Cincinnati would does this happen! I chalk one big reason up to laziness on the front office's part due to Marvin being so involved in the day to day operations.

So you want them to extend Lewis to fire him shortly after? That's a bold strategy, Cotton lol
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have no problem with them letting Lewis "retire" after the end of the season. At this point there is no reason to publicly fire him. Good or bad, he's a main ingredient in the turnaround of this team from the teams of the 90's.... just let him ride off into the sunset. Besides, you DO know who the assistant HC is that would take over for the last 3 games, right????
Reply/Quote
Penny pincher mike brown doesn't want to pay lewis ( contract thru 2017 ) for not coaching, and hiring a new HC.
Reply/Quote
Fisher didn't make the playoff 6 out of the last 7 years. Not supporting keeping Marvin but this isn't exactly apples to apples.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 08:29 PM)motoarch Wrote: Fisher didn't make the playoff 6 out of the last 7 years.  Not supporting keeping Marvin but this isn't  exactly apples to apples.

Whoa, Jeff Fisher?  You mean the same Jeff Fisher that had the Titans literally on the doorstep of winning the Super Bowl?  The Jeff Fisher that was coach of the Titans, when we were still a 5 team AFC Central division?  He's a fantastic coach.  Just been riddled with bad luck in his years with the Rams. 

I would have him to take over for a retiring Marvin Lewis, in a heartbeat.  Let him decide his own staff, turn him loose.  His style bodes well against our division rivals.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 09:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Whoa, Jeff Fisher?  You mean the same Jeff Fisher that had the Titans literally on the doorstep of winning the Super Bowl?  The Jeff Fisher that was coach of the Titans, when we were still a 5 team AFC Central division?  He's a fantastic coach.  Just been riddled with bad luck in his years with the Rams. 

I would have him to take over for a retiring Marvin Lewis, in a heartbeat.  Let him decide his own staff, turn him loose.  His style bodes well against our division rivals.

When was the last time he finished above 500? Career 5-6 in playoffs and career 500 guy tied for career lead in losses. No thanks; keep reaching for the stars buddy.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 11:36 PM)motoarch Wrote: When was the last time he finished above 500?  Career 5-6 in playoffs and career 500 guy tied for career lead in losses.  No thanks; keep reaching for the stars buddy.

I'm not a huge Fisher guy, but that's the same amount of playoff wins the Bengals have in their entire 48 year history. I wouldn't thumb my nose at that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 11:36 PM)motoarch Wrote: When was the last time he finished above 500?  Career 5-6 in playoffs and career 500 guy tied for career lead in losses.  No thanks; keep reaching for the stars buddy.

.512 winning percentage and 5 post-season wins?  And we've been holding onto Marvin for what?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

*******5******** & six in playoffs??
If ML had five playoffs wins, there would prob be an NFL championship in there.
[Image: forumpic2.jpg]
When I die, I will get to shake Mr. Paul Browns hand and hear him say "Damn, you never stopped believing, did you?"
Reply/Quote
At what point do any of you think I supported Lewis? The guy needs to be gone but for christ sake this is like a I said not apples to apples. Fisher hasn't finished above 500 in what? Nearly a decade? Marvins done some good here but hes hung on too long without getting the team over the hump and it was time to move on long ago. Fisher on the other hand NEVER got the Rams to the post season and has had 8 losing seasons in a row.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 09:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Whoa, Jeff Fisher?  You mean the same Jeff Fisher that had the Titans literally on the doorstep of winning the Super Bowl?  The Jeff Fisher that was coach of the Titans, when we were still a 5 team AFC Central division?  He's a fantastic coach.  Just been riddled with bad luck in his years with the Rams. 

That was 16 years ago. The game has changed since then. Jeff Fisher's teams have only made the playoffs twice in the last decade, going 0-2 in the postseason. Jeff Fisher's last postseason victory came in 2003.

How can anyone reasonably say that Jeff Fisher would be an improvement over Marvin Lewis? They are both outdated coaches whose teams either underachieve or plateau. For this team to go deep in the playoffs, they need an up-and-comer, not a washed up retread.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 06:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I have no problem with them letting Lewis "retire" after the end of the season. At this point there is no reason to publicly fire him. Good or bad, he's a main ingredient in the turnaround of this team from the teams of the 90's.... just let him ride off into the sunset. Besides, you DO know who the assistant HC is that would take over for the last 3 games, right????

Honestly we really need to stop going back to the Clinton administration to justify Marvin Lewis.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 04:55 PM)GodFather Wrote: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18263718/jeff-fisher-fired-coach-st-louis-rams

It aslo depends on how you define competitve. Is playing the Steelers 29 times and losing 22 of them competitive?  Sure he could over match the Browns, 49res or the Jaguars with talent. But when it comes to playing talented teams? You know, the ones you see in prime time games or the playoffs, he's not even close to being competitive. 
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2016, 01:42 PM)Antares Wrote:  But when it comes to playing talented teams? You know, the ones you see in prime time games or the playoffs, he's not even close to being competitive. 

Over the 3 previous years ('13-'15) only 2 teams in the league (Broncos, Seahawks) had both more wins against teams that finished with a winning record and a higher winning percentage against those teams than the Bengals.

Record against teams that finished with a winning record '13-'15.

Broncos 16-6  .667
Patriots  12-7  .632
Bengals  11-8  .579
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2016, 02:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the 3 previous years ('13-'15) only 2 teams in the league (Broncos, Seahawks) had both more wins against teams that finished with a winning record and a higher winning percentage against those teams than the Bengals.

Broncos 16-6  .667
Patriots  12-7  .632
Bengals  11-8  .579

Okay fair enough. Those other teams have no problem winning games against their arch rival. No problem winning prime time games. No problem winning multiple playoff games. No problem winning superbowls. They have never blown the kind of games that Marvin consistenly does. Can you imagine Bill Belichick losing a game the way Marvin lost the Pittsburgh playoff game? No, you cannot! There is no record of underachievement with either of these teams. Marvin is not worthy of comparison with this type of excellence. Am I right?
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2016, 02:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the 3 previous years ('13-'15) only 2 teams in the league (Broncos, Seahawks) had both more wins against teams that finished with a winning record and a higher winning percentage against those teams than the Bengals.

Broncos 16-6  .667
Patriots  12-7  .632
Bengals  11-8  .579

Broncos 16-6  .667 NFL Championship
Patriots  12-7  .632 NFL Championship
Bengals  11-8  .579 Ah, oops

Reply/Quote

I was just thinking that would be a nightmare scenario, if we finally get a coaching change and end up with Jeff Fisher!  It's like Mike Brown would get our hopes up and then smash them again.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2016, 12:03 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I was just thinking that would be a nightmare scenario, if we finally get a coaching change and end up with Jeff Fisher!  It's like Mike Brown would get our hopes up and then smash them again.

As much as I'm "meh" on Fisher, he's far from a nightmare scenario. That would be just about anyone currently on our coaching staff. The worst would be Paul Alexander. I'd take Fisher over anyone currently coaching for the Bengals.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote