Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something We Can All Agree On!
Well, it's finally here. Football, real, actual football starts this week! It's true! The NFL regular season kicks off in about 3 days. 78 hours and 40 minutes to be exact. And our beloved Bengals kick off their season in just 6 days.

All of the debate, scouting, analyzing, judging, reading, etc. now is put to the test. We have a tangible, finished product to watch for the next 17 weeks (and hopefully longer).

So, while we all can disagree on so much, as Bengals fans, and fans of different organizations, I think we all, all NFL fans can agree that this is a great freaking time of year.

I know that I've gotten real sick of all things Reds, which dominates local airwaves. Dat Dude BP report, Marty and Tracy Jones, Reds Post Game, Reds Pre Game, and game, after game, after game, after game. 2 hours and 45 minutes of a 3 hour block of sports talk filled with Reds talk. Pitchers and catchers report, winter meetings... My God, it just goes on forever. And ever...and ever.

Now it's time for our reward as NFL fans. All the waiting is over. It's here, it's here, it's here!!!! Hallelujah, thank you, Jesus!!!! We get actual meaningful games, that count and everything!!!! We get fantasy football!! We now get our pre games and post games, and hours, upon of hours, of entertainment!!! We even get to shut down the AC here in a few weeks and open some freaking windows and get some fresh air, while drinking our pumpkin ales and feeding our faces with things like Chili. I get to dress up as Wonder Woman for Halloween again. It's near fall, and it's time for some ***** football, fellas!!!!

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!! I'm like a dog looking at my leash dangling from my owners hand. Let's do this!!!!

Reply/Quote
Whenever people say they perfer baseball over football, i just roll my eyes. They obviously dont understand the game of football
Reply/Quote
I actually got into the NBA this offseason and it helped make things go a little faster.

Still very excited about the season and can't wait to see the answers for these questions:

1. Can Tez and Pacman keep their cool and beat the Steelers?
2. Can Dalton maintain his level of play from last year? Or at least keep close to that?
3. Will Hill rebound?
4. What do we have in Kroft?
5. When will Eifert be back, and can he maintain that level of play or even build on it?
6. How much will we miss Reggie Nelson?
7. How much will LaFell and Boyd contribute?
8. Can this team FINALLY win a freaking playoff game? If so, I think they go on a run.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 03:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I actually got into the NBA this offseason and it helped make things go a little faster.

Still very excited about the season and can't wait to see the answers for these questions:

1. Can Tez and Pacman keep their cool and beat the Steelers?
2. Can Dalton maintain his level of play from last year? Or at least keep close to that?
3. Will Hill rebound?
4. What do we have in Kroft?
5. When will Eifert be back, and can he maintain that level of play or even build on it?
6. How much will we miss Reggie Nelson?
7. How much will LaFell and Boyd contribute?
8. Can this team FINALLY win a freaking playoff game? If so, I think they go on a run.

I will say a lot, but I do believe that we have more than enough pieces to minimize the loss.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I love me some Reds, but I hate me some Walt Jocketty and Bryan Price.

It's a complicated relationship where I cheer for the Reds and then Price puts Alfredo Simon in a close game to give up three runs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 03:09 PM)Gohards Wrote: Whenever people say they perfer baseball over football, i just roll my eyes. They obviously dont understand the game of football

They are just two very different sports.  I was raised around my dad's softball games and played the game of baseball since I was 9 until the age of 18, then softball until the age of 50. Watching baseball on television is not my cup of tea though.

Baseball is one of the few games, where the defense has 'charge' of the game, and the ball, most of the time.

Hitting a round ball with a round bat traveling 90+ miles an hour is a feat in and of itself.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 04:51 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: They are just two very different sports.  I was raised around my dad's softball games and played the game of baseball since I was 9 until the age of 18, then softball until the age of 50.  Watching baseball on television is not my cup of tea though.

Baseball is one of the few games, where the defense has 'charge' of the game, and the ball, most of the time.

Hitting a round ball with a round bat traveling 90+ miles an hour is a feat in and of itself.

I just went to a batting cage a few weeks ago and hit a few going 60. Even that wasn't all that easy.

Note to self: wear batting gloves next time.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 04:51 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: They are just two very different sports.  I was raised around my dad's softball games and played the game of baseball since I was 9 until the age of 18, then softball until the age of 50.  Watching baseball on television is not my cup of tea though.

This is almost a mirror image of my life. 
Grew up watching my Dad's NCR softball team 5 nights a week, played baseball  until 18. But only played softball into my mid 40's when knees quit on me. 

But would rather watch football over baseball. Mostly only watch baseball when at games in person.

But am different about fantasy sports than others who play. Do not play football but love fantasy baseball.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 03:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 8. Can this team FINALLY win a freaking playoff game? 

Could they? Absolutely...

Will they? Absolutely not under Lewis.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 08:46 PM)Go Cards Wrote: This is almost a mirror image of my life. 
Grew up watching my Dad's NCR softball team 5 nights a week, played baseball  until 18. But only played softball into my mid 40's when knees quit on me. 

But would rather watch football over baseball. Mostly only watch baseball when at games in person.

But am different about fantasy sports than others who play. Do not play football but love fantasy baseball.

Wow!  My dad played for the place he worked called McCalls.  They had a magazine for years. Actually I coached Little League for 15 years and love watching the LL World Series and enjoy watching the college girls softball World Series.   Love the enthusiasm with the younger folk.

I too would rather 'watch' football than baseball unless it's in person and teams that I know people on or the Reds or Gators.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 08:56 PM)GodFather Wrote: Could they? Absolutely...

Will they? Absolutely not under Lewis.

[Image: 3985297.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Im not saying you dont have to be skilled or its a bad sport or anything. I myself also played starting at the age of 5 till i was 14. Was very fun to play. Lost interest tho for some reason. Personally if i am picking a sport to PLAY, i enjoy playing basketball more than anything.

But there is NOTHING like watching the game of football. Especially compared to baseball, games just dont seem as exciting. Theres what, 162? games? Football is one those sports when every little win counts. Hell, a missed kick can make or break a SB run.

Its alot more exciting. For instance, in baseball playoffs, alot of time the best team wins the series. In a football game, the best team doesnt necessarily win. The better team can have one unlucky night and they are sent home for the season, with no SB ring. In that one make or break game, it can also come down to one lucky play. (See 18-0 Pats vs Giants)

It is also a very technical sport. For instance, alot of people dont fully understand the game of football. From the downs, to the plays, to the play calling, positions, etc. I dated this chick for 4 years and watched bengals games with her every sunday, and to this day she still probably doesnt know what a "blitz" is.  

Am I saying baseball is a bad game? No not at all. I have still gotten goosebumps watching baseball (see JRs 500th home run on fathers day). But when it comes down to it, no team means more to me than the Bengals. I have never raged out and broke stuff in my house because of any other team. (See 2015 playof game)
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 10:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: [Image: 3985297.jpg]

For me, too broad of a brush used here.  Lewis didn't fumble away the game last year, and he didn't injure all the receivers the year against the Colts either.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 10:27 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: For me, too broad of a brush used here.  Lewis didn't fumble away the game last year, and he didn't injure all the receivers the year against the Colts either.

ok so what excuse do you have for the other 5 Lewis playoff losses? 

Players? 
No because he's had completely different rosters with he same post season results. 

Coaching staff?
Nope, hes also had multiple OC/DC and other coaches and he remains the one constant his teams aren't playoff ready.

Theres regular season and theres post season, we all know post season competition is at a different level than regular season and Lewis can't get his team to that level.

If he could....he would've by now.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 10:38 PM)GodFather Wrote: ok so what excuse do you have for the other 5 Lewis playoff losses? 

Players? 
No because he's had completely different rosters with he same post season results. 

Coaching staff?
Nope, hes also had multiple OC/DC and other coaches and he remains the one constant his teams aren't playoff ready.

Theres regular season and theres post season, we all know post season competition is at a different level than regular season and Lewis can't get his team to that level.

You can really only count the last 2 or 3 years because of the fact that you just mentioned playoffs are different than regular season. 2011 2012 and 2013 your still getting up to nfl speed and playoff speed so in that regard it's injuries and a fluke loss 
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 04:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I love me some Reds, but I hate me some Walt Jocketty and Bryan Price.

It's a complicated relationship where I cheer for the Reds and then Price puts Alfredo Simon in a close game to give up three runs.
Yep! I haven't listened or watched a Reds game for several years. Because of the kind of thing you mentioned over and over! Sick
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 10:27 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: For me, too broad of a brush used here.  Lewis didn't fumble away the game last year, and he didn't injure all the receivers the year against the Colts either.

Hopefully everything will go perfectly on his 8th try.

(09-05-2016, 10:43 PM)Jpoore Wrote: You can really only count the last 2 or 3 years because of the fact that you just mentioned playoffs are different than regular season. 2011 2012 and 2013 your still getting up to nfl speed and playoff speed so in that regard it's injuries and a fluke loss 

Hopefully everyone is up to playoff speed in their 6th year together.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 10:38 PM)GodFather Wrote: ok so what excuse do you have for the other 5 Lewis playoff losses? 

Players? 

Coaching staff?

Not going to get into these foolish debates because they won't change either of our minds.  Here's where I stand on the subject:

The Begnals franchise are starting their 48th year in existence.  They have won 5 playoff games in 48 years.  The Bengals have had 9 Head Coaches in that 48 year span. One coach has won 2 (Gregg) and one has won 3 (Wyche).  None of those playoff victories mean squat since they didn't win their last playoff game.

The object isn't to win a certain 'number' of playoff games, the object is to win the 'last' playoff game.

Most people know you can't win your last playoff game, unless you 'make' the playoffs, which is tough to do in the NFL.

Only 12 teams out of 32 even 'make' the playoffs.

Lewis got it right when he was asked if he was anymore disappointed at last year's playoff loss.  He responded, "Every year there are 31 coaches that are disappointed at how their season ends.  We were one of those 31."

They have had numerous players over those 48 years, and the ONLY common denominator IN franchise history has been the Brown family.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 10:38 PM)GodFather Wrote: If he could....he would've by now.

Just your opinion.  Not a fact.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 10:27 PM)Gohards Wrote: Im not saying you dont have to be skilled or its a bad sport or anything. I myself also played starting at the age of 5 till i was 14. Was very fun to play. Lost interest tho for some reason. Personally if i am picking a sport to PLAY, i enjoy playing basketball more than anything.

But there is NOTHING like watching the game of football. Especially compared to baseball, games just dont seem as exciting. Theres what, 162? games? Football is one those sports when every little win counts. Hell, a missed kick can make or break a SB run.

Its alot more exciting. For instance, in baseball playoffs, alot of time the best team wins the series. In a football game, the best team doesnt necessarily win. The better team can have one unlucky night and they are sent home for the season, with no SB ring. In that one make or break game, it can also come down to one lucky play. (See 18-0 Pats vs Giants)

It is also a very technical sport. For instance, alot of people dont fully understand the game of football. From the downs, to the plays, to the play calling, positions, etc. I dated this chick for 4 years and watched bengals games with her every sunday, and to this day she still probably doesnt know what a "blitz" is.  

Am I saying baseball is a bad game? No not at all. I have still gotten goosebumps watching baseball (see JRs 500th home run on fathers day). But when it comes down to it, no team means more to me than the Bengals. I have never raged out and broke stuff in my house because of any other team. (See 2015 playof game)
Well said. I remember watching a video, can't remember if it was on YouTube or Bengals website, but the Bengals were invited to take batting practice at Great American one day.  Most of the players did decent, but there were two, I can't remember who the other one was, but one was Geno Atkins who couldn't hit the ball to safe his life! 

On the other side of the coin, it was pure joy and poetic justice to watch Dalton, not only go 2 for 2, but hit 2 home runs, one almost out of Great American Ballpark, in the softball game during the festivities before the MLB All-Star game last year, ESPECIALLY, after some of the classless fans booed him when he was introduced!! 
Reply/Quote