Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something You'll Never See In Cincinnati...EVER!
(02-09-2016, 03:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Were those guys quality FA's? Did they help Denver win it all? Absolutely. That's all that needs said. I disagree on the Talib/Pacman comparison though. I'm not sure anyone would've touched Pacman had we not signed him. The Cowboys are the only other team with a rep like the Bengals for taking in guys like that, and the Cowboys had seen enough. Talib got a good contract. Pacman was offered a last chance type of deal.

Sure but they weren't exactly gang-buster FA signings. 

The only difference is age. If Pacman had the seasons he had here at Talib's age it would be more evident. Money-wise, Talib got more but overall risk-skill it's very similar. 
Talib was traded to New England for a fourth round pick and he was promptly suspended 4 games.
Only got a one year extension to prove himself 

Oh and....

Quote:Talib has had several conduct related issues since his NFL career started. At the NFL rookie symposium in July 2008, Talib was involved in a fistfight with fellow Buccaneers rookie Cory Boyd.[20] On August 20, 2009, Talib allegedly battered a taxi driver,[21] and he was arrested by Florida Highway Patrol and booked into the Pinellas County jail, charged with resisting arrest without violence and simple battery.[22] In March 2011, police in Garland, Texas issued a felony warrant for Talib for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after accusing him of firing a gun at his sister's boyfriend.[23] He was later released on $25,000 bond. Talib was indicted on the charge in May 2011.[24] On June 18, 2012, the charges were dropped due to insufficient evidence and character concerns with the accuser[25]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 03:46 PM)GodFather Wrote: I've gotta say, we have so many good players as FA that I would like to concentrate on resigning them. We have Nelson, Jones, and both receivers Jones and Sanu just for starters. For this upcoming season I think that should be the priority rather than sign a big name FA for us. for me the real question is who we will retain?

I don't think any of us want to let guys go just so we can go on a free agency splurge. That said, it's likely we'll lose 1-2 guys and I'd like to see them replaced with quality. It'd also be nice to see us upgrade somewhere if possible.

(02-09-2016, 03:48 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Sure but they weren't exactly gang-buster FA signings. 

The only difference is age. If Pacman had the seasons he had here at Talib's age it would be more evident. Money-wise, Talib got more but overall risk-skill it's very similar. 
Talib was traded to New England for a fourth round pick and he was promptly suspended 4 games.
Only got a one year extension to prove himself 

Oh and....

They weren't gang-buster signings, but they were of higher quality than what the Bengals typically go for, no doubt. That's all I'm saying. We've never seen the Bengals go after guys like Talib, Ward, Sanders and Ware in rapid succession. Heck, leave Ware out and we still haven't seen anything close to that. The only time the Bengals have gone after quality like that is when they let go of a more expensive player and the FA came at a cheaper rate. See Coles/Bryant replacing Housh. See Odom replacing Justin. See Clements replacing JJo. Etc etc. All of those guys were cheaper than the guys they replaced.

On Talib vs Pacman, Talib is no boy scout, but Pacman had a baby sitter. C'mon man...Pacman was on a different level as far as the off field stuff. You know this.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 08:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't think any of us want to let guys go just so we can go on a free agency splurge. That said, it's likely we'll lose 1-2 guys and I'd like to see them replaced with quality. It'd also be nice to see us upgrade somewhere if possible.

They weren't gang-buster signings, but they were of higher quality than what the Bengals typically go for, no doubt. That's all I'm saying. We've never seen the Bengals go after guys like Talib, Ward, Sanders and Ware in rapid succession. Heck, leave Ware out and we still haven't seen anything close to that. The only time the Bengals have gone after quality like that is when they let go of a more expensive player and the FA came at a cheaper rate. See Coles/Bryant replacing Housh. See Odom replacing Justin. See Clements replacing JJo. Etc etc. All of those guys were cheaper than the guys they replaced.

On Talib vs Pacman, Talib is no boy scout, but Pacman had a baby sitter. C'mon man...Pacman was on a different level as far as the off field stuff. You know this.

He really wasn't if you read what Talib did. 
He straight up shot at someone. The only difference as far as I'm concerned, is Pacman is a better shot
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 10:46 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He really wasn't if you read what Talib did. 
He straight up shot at someone. The only difference as far as I'm concerned, is Pacman is a better shot

"On June 18, 2012, the charges were dropped due to insufficient evidence and character concerns with the accuser."

Meanwhile, Jones had to pay 12.4 million to the victims of his incident.

That's the big difference there. I'm not saying Talib is innocent, but nothing came out of his ordeal. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2016, 12:37 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: "On June 18, 2012, the charges were dropped due to insufficient evidence and character concerns with the accuser."

Meanwhile, Jones had to pay 12.4 million to the victims of his incident.

That's the big difference there. I'm not saying Talib is innocent, but nothing came out of his ordeal. 

That's the policy that let's Frank Clark and Greg Hardy play while Ray Rice never will again.

I'm sure it was just stand up people at the titty bar the night Pacman was there. 
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2016, 04:52 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: That's the policy that let's Frank Clark and Greg Hardy play while Ray Rice never will again.

I'm sure it was just stand up people at the titty bar the night Pacman was there. 

Come on... how many times has Pacman been arrested?  Jerry Jones hired full time babysitters to try to keep him out of trouble, and he got into a fight with them.  You've never been in a strip club?  If so, did you deserve to get injured because a patron "made it rain" and then got upset when the girls had the audacity to think the money was theirs?  If you've not been to a strip club, that is how it works... you throw money on stage and it is no longer yours...

As to the question of free agents, every year there are players available who could contribute to this team.  This whole idea of "free agents never work out" is a myth that has been propagated by Hobson and the front office for so long people actually bye it.  Look at New England, Denver, Seattle.  They prove it to be false.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 08:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't think any of us want to let guys go just so we can go on a free agency splurge. That said, it's likely we'll lose 1-2 guys and I'd like to see them replaced with quality. It'd also be nice to see us upgrade somewhere if possible.

I think we'll lose more than that, I just know who we'll get but feel they are usually players to strengthen the depth more than an impact starter.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2016, 11:43 AM)GodFather Wrote: I think we'll lose more than that, I just know who we'll get but feel they are usually players to strengthen the depth more than an impact starter.

I would like to see them be more aggressive.  Take Denver for instance.  They lose Dumervil, but replace him with Ware.  2014 the secondary was a concern for New England, they get Revis and Browner, and win another Super Bowl.  Seattle needs defensive line help, they get Avril and Bennett, go to two straight Super Bowls.  I wish there was more of a sense of urgency, a "win now" mentality.  I could be wrong, but I never see that from this organization.
Reply/Quote