Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something You'll Never See In Cincinnati...EVER!
(02-02-2016, 08:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have never seen any proof to back that up.

Fans vote on the Pro Bowl and they don't think so.

Media votes on the All-Pro teams and they don't think so

Players vote on the Top 100 players each year and they don't think so.

In fact, the first time i heard this claim it came from Colin Cowheard and he was just trying to come up with a way to make Andy Dalton look bad.  It waas actually kind of funny.  It was after the 2013 season when the Bengals finished 28th in the league in rushing yards per attempt, and Colin was claiming that Dalton had an "great running game behind him".

Meh, I've seen it alluded to on the NFL Network, and I don't buy what any media sells, so who knows.  As for the Pro Bowl, the casual fan probably doesn't know much about, nor care much about the Cincinnati Bengals.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 11:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I bring this up now and again and there is usually no answer for it.  Sometimes we hear the media blather about our talent levels, but mostly the "MOST TALENTED TEAM IN THE NFL" talk comes from the same guys around here who spend the off-seasons saying guys like Armon Binns, Jerome Simpson, and Denarius Moore are going to give opposing DC's NIGHTMARES.

Lol....this is true.  It's a double edged sword.  IF the roster is truly that good, then our coach isn't getting the most out of them.  IF the roster is not as good as advertised, then our coach, who allegedly has control of our drafts, and is the sole reason they have gotten better, is not doing very well in talent and intangibles evals.  That was the gist of my statement.  The Marv apologists have painted themselves in quite the corner there Smirk

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 10:20 AM)Wyche Wrote: Lol....this is true.  It's a double edged sword.  IF the roster is truly that good, then our coach isn't getting the most out of them.  IF the roster is not as good as advertised, then our coach, who allegedly has control of our drafts, and is the sole reason they have gotten better, is not doing very well in talent and intangibles evals.  That was the gist of my statement.  The Marv apologists have painted themselves in quite the corner there Smirk

Nah. We are gonna get there, brick by brick.

it's a maturation process.

injuries, things and stuff. 

Changing things are bad because we don't know what it will be like. I'm scared. 

Hey! We are progressing in the regular season! 

It's all apart of the 30 year plan to win a single playoff game. Only a few more years of this left, and we should be rewarded with a PO win. City goes into a state of emergency because this will be the first time the Bengals will have won a PO game since the first website went online!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 11:37 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Nah. We are gonna get there, brick by brick.

it's a maturation process.

injuries, things and stuff. 

Changing things are bad because we don't know what it will be like. I'm scared. 

Hey! We are progressing in the regular season! 

It's all apart of the 30 year plan to win a single playoff game. Only a few more years of this left, and we should be rewarded with a PO win. City goes into a state of emergency because this will be the first time the Bengals will have won a PO game since the first website went online!

They will riot in the streets!  Hell, isn't it the first PO win since Al Gore invented the interwebz?LOL

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 11:47 AM)Wyche Wrote: They will riot in the streets!  Hell, isn't it the first PO win since Al Gore invented the interwebz?LOL

I just....I just can't believe it has been this long. It's breathtaking, really. It almost feels like like a plot of a movie where things are really, really bad, only for them to come out victorious at the end to make you feel all good inside....except that part of the movie is played on repeat without ever getting to the end of it where I actually feel all good inside.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Another thing you may not see here that you will in Denver.

Signing a big name FA like Peyton Manning. Some will say this never works.

Believe they attacked FA last season as well by signing 8 FA's.

Then when they release Manning after a SB appearance it will be another trend setting move. To save face I expect he will retire in lieu of being cut or traded.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 11:47 AM)Wyche Wrote: They will riot in the streets!  Hell, isn't it the first PO win since Al Gore invented the interwebz?LOL

I really thought this was going to be the year we won another playoff game because Crystal Clear Pepsi was back.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 01:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I really thought this was going to be the year we won another playoff game because Crystal Clear Pepsi was back.

Hilarious .......glad I wasn't sippin' one of those, I would have spit it all over the monitor..... Smirk

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 03:36 PM)GodFather Wrote: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/02/john-elway-on-replacing-john-fox-this-is-why-we-made-the-decision/

Just going to the Super Bowl and winning some playoff games weren't enough in Denver but in the Bengals front office John Fox would have a permanent head coaching job. Funny how different some front offices view a successful season going forward into the next season.

Well, there's really no guarantee that the Broncos wouldn't have made the Super Bowl with Fox.  

Kubiak really hasn't impressed me at all.  The Broncos had some things fall their way this year.  I don't see the difference on that team as the coach.
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately it is just the thinking of this franchise and it's ownership that post season success is not important. As long as they win regular season games and make a playoff appearance now and then, that is good enough to keep Marvin. Marvin Lewis is the ONLY coach in NFL history to not be expected to win a Super Bowl. His continued employment here is all the proof you need. Mike Brown is Happy, Marvin is happy, the money is flowing in nonstop......Why change!? Unfortunately, we as fans are not happy and we just have to take it because Mike Brown holds all the cards and he knows we will pay up for NFL. Much like the tobacco industry, they could raise cigarettes to $20 a pack for a product that is literally killing you, and people would pay. They have no reason to change or improve for its customers (fans).
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 02:41 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Unfortunately it is just the thinking of this franchise and it's ownership that post season success is not important. As long as they win regular season games and make a playoff appearance now and then, that is good enough to keep Marvin. Marvin Lewis is the ONLY coach in NFL history to not be expected to win a Super Bowl. His continued employment here is all the proof you need. Mike Brown is Happy, Marvin is happy, the money is flowing in nonstop......Why change!? Unfortunately, we as fans are not happy and we just have to take it because Mike Brown holds all the cards and he knows we will pay up for NFL. Much like the tobacco industry, they could raise cigarettes to $20 a pack for a product that is literally killing you, and people would pay. They have no reason to change or improve for its customers (fans).

Mike brown has been on public record stating he wants to win a superbowl... Shit happens and you have to deal with it.. Firing marvin for losing with his backup QB wont improve our chances next season.

Fans thinking like this is silly if you really believe the owner of the bengals believes this way there is NO WAY you can still be a fan.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 12:23 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Another thing you may not see here that you will in Denver.

Signing a big name FA like Peyton Manning. Some will say this never works.

Believe they attacked FA last season as well by signing 8 FA's.

Then when they release Manning after a SB appearance it will be another trend setting move. To save face I expect he will retire in lieu of being cut or traded.

the broncos would not have made the playoffs if they had not benched manning.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 02:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Mike brown has been on public record stating he wants to win a superbowl...  Shit happens and you have to deal with it.. Firing marvin for losing with his backup QB wont improve our chances next season.

Fans thinking like this is silly if you really believe the owner of the bengals believes this way there is NO WAY you can still be a fan.

Well then...if he stated he wanted to win the Super Bowl, it HAS TO BE TRUE! Nobody as ever lied to appease a disgruntled customer base....Ever! Your right,  my bad. Hey... Just FYI I have some magic beans for sale that will grow $100 bills. Just send me $5,000 and I'll mail it to you. I will go on public record that I TRULY WANT TO MAKE YOU RICH FROM THESE BEANS!!!! 

See how that works.....
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 02:52 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Well then...if he stated he wanted to win the Super Bowl, it HAS TO BE TRUE! Nobody as ever lied to appease a disgruntled customer base....Ever! Your right,  my bad. Hey... Just FYI I have some magic beans for sale that will grow $100 bills. Just send me $5,000 and I'll mail it to you. I will go on public record that I TRULY WANT TO MAKE YOU RICH FROM THESE BEANS!!!! 

See how that works.....

my point still stands if you believe the owner has no desire to win a SuperBowl how can you stay a fan of the franchise?
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 03:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: my point still stands if you believe the owner has no desire to win a SuperBowl how can you stay a fan of the franchise?

Loyalty my friend. If the candidate I vote for president doesn't win, I'm not moving to Canada. If I disagree with my wife over something, I'm not divorcing her. This is just football and there is always hope. I think Bengals ownership has gotten to this point where they win constantly now but are too scared to take the necessary risks to get them over the hump at the sake of "possibly" getting worse. Complacency has set in and the status quo is the safest place. Unfortunately that hasn't brought us a Super Bowl or even a playoff win. 
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 04:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Funny how no other team has ever done this (except maybe Dallas with Jimmy Johnson), yet some people think it is the common practice around the league.

I think really good coaches get let go all the time for underachieving. Maty Schottenheimer is one off the top of my head. Gruden being traded is another. Harbaugh being run out.

But, yes, in general, teams do not let go of top tier talented coaches. I guess I don't see how that fact relates to the Bengals coaching situation?  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 02:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Mike brown has been on public record stating he wants to win a superbowl...  Shit happens and you have to deal with it.. Firing marvin for losing with his backup QB wont improve our chances next season.

So, what's the excuse for any of the other years then? Ninja
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 05:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Getting stuck in the playoffs is not that bad of a thing.  Coaches generally get fired for NOT making the playoffs.  that explains all the turnover.

There are lots of teams who have fired multiple coaches and never win in the playoffs.  There is no proof that changing coaches helps anything.  In fact most times teams do worse after a coaching change.

Marvin Lewis is the Bengals Jim Mora.

The New Orleans Saints were one of the worst franchises. They had won a mere 90 games in their first nineteen seasons and did not have a winning record in any season during that time. The New Orleans Saints hired a coach named Jim Mora.

Mora revitalized the team and added talent and great coaching. He had players reaching their potential, giving all they had, and the team was winning games in the regular season. By his second season in town, he got them not only a winning record but also a spot in the playoffs, though they were ultimately blown out in their playoff game.

Jim Mora led the Saints to four playoff seasons, but ultimately lost each game. The Saints had to make a decision, and eventually they fired Mora after things started to go downhill. Jim Mora is still the winningest head coach for the Saints with 93 wins in ten seasons. That’s three more than the Saints had their first nineteen seasons.

Jim Mora found a job elsewhere with the Indianapolis Colts. He drafted Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James,[url=http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JameEd00.htm?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-stripehype.com][/url] for starters. His first season didn’t go so well, but he then led the Colts to the playoffs his second year with them, but yet again they lost. In 2000, it was Mora’s last time reaching the playoffs, and his team lost yet again, dropping Jim Mora’s playoff record to 0-6. That same season, the Saints went on to get their first ever playoff victory.

You used Tony Dungey as an example for the Bucs in how they shouldn't have fired him because of the Colts seasons. Yet, Dungey took over for a team that had a coach with a very similar past to Marvin Lewis.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I was worried this was going to be another thread about firing Marvin Lewis. Thank god its not.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 08:16 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Marvin Lewis is the Bengals Jim Mora.

The New Orleans Saints were one of the worst franchises. They had won a mere 90 games in their first nineteen seasons and did not have a winning record in any season during that time. The New Orleans Saints hired a coach named Jim Mora.

Mora revitalized the team and added talent and great coaching. He had players reaching their potential, giving all they had, and the team was winning games in the regular season. By his second season in town, he got them not only a winning record but also a spot in the playoffs, though they were ultimately blown out in their playoff game.

Jim Mora led the Saints to four playoff seasons, but ultimately lost each game. The Saints had to make a decision, and eventually they fired Mora after things started to go downhill. Jim Mora is still the winningest head coach for the Saints with 93 wins in ten seasons. That’s three more than the Saints had their first nineteen seasons.

Jim Mora found a job elsewhere with the Indianapolis Colts. He drafted Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James,[url=http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JameEd00.htm?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-stripehype.com][/url] for starters. His first season didn’t go so well, but he then led the Colts to the playoffs his second year with them, but yet again they lost. In 2000, it was Mora’s last time reaching the playoffs, and his team lost yet again, dropping Jim Mora’s playoff record to 0-6. That same season, the Saints went on to get their first ever playoff victory.

You used Tony Dungey as an example for the Bucs in how they shouldn't have fired him because of the Colts seasons. Yet, Dungey took over for a team that had a coach with a very similar past to Marvin Lewis.

Pretty sure Mora resigned in NO....but your point remains valid. Perfect example.

Reply/Quote