Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something is just missing from my tuesday. Truck_1_0_1_ weekly PFF :(
Always on my tuesday morning rutine, the highlight of my morning, accept the coffee, was to get online and read the shit out of this PFF ratings.

I liked the reviews, comments and just reading about the game :)

Shame PFF did some changes. But just for Truck, i appreciated your great work! Wink
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 06:15 AM)JonasNJ Wrote: Always on my tuesday morning rutine, the highlight of my morning, accept the coffee, was to get online and read the shit out of this PFF ratings.

I liked the reviews, comments and just reading about the game :)

Shame PFF did some changes. But just for Truck, i appreciated your great work! Wink

Wait, any reason why they aren't posted/

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Apologies, everyone, but they have done away with their ratings and I've looked everywhere to yet and re-subscribe to ANYTHING of theirs, but they have nothing to offer for the time being...

Hell, even if the grades are gone, I want the line stats, rushing and coverage stats, etc. All gone.

Expect stupid Madden-esque ratings soon enough.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Tuesday coffee just doesn't taste as good....
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 08:34 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Apologies, everyone, but they have done away with their ratings and I've looked everywhere to yet and re-subscribe to ANYTHING of theirs, but they have nothing to offer for the time being...

Hell, even if the grades are gone, I want the line stats, rushing and coverage stats, etc. All gone.

That's what I miss the most, and I have no idea why they would get rid of it unless they weren't making enough money to warrant the work that it took to compile the stats.

Their in depth statistics were amazing to have for people like us that discuss football year round on a message board.

I use Football Outsiders for stuff like snap count now, and they have a few decent stats of their own, but it's nothing like what PFF had to offer. It's a real bummer that these changes happened. Sad
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 08:55 AM)djs7685 Wrote: That's what I miss the most, and I have no idea why they would get rid of it unless they weren't making enough money to warrant the work that it took to compile the stats.

Their in depth statistics were amazing to have for people like us that discuss football year round on a message board.

I use Football Outsiders for stuff like snap count now, and they have a few decent stats of their own, but it's nothing like what PFF had to offer. It's a real bummer that these changes happened. Sad

What most likely happened is that they figure they can make double, triple or more by going with Fantasy Numbers to draw in people playing these single game fantasy games like "Fan Duel" and such.

Not as much work to only put out grades for QB, RB, TE, WR, K and Team Defense. People will pay double to get accurate weekly, monthly and average numbers just to get a leg up on the competition. Plus, subscriptions will quadruple increasing their bottom line.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 09:05 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: What most likely happened is that they figure they can make double, triple or more by going with Fantasy Numbers to draw in people playing these single game fantasy games like "Fan Duel" and such.

Not as much work to only put out grades for QB, RB, TE, WR, K and Team Defense. People will pay double to get accurate weekly, monthly and average numbers just to get a leg up on the competition. Plus, subscriptions will quadruple increasing their bottom line.

But you can get accurate weekly, monthly, and average numbers on a LOT of different websites.

PFF actually had something unique going on, but apparently they weren't making enough money with it or else I have no clue why they'd stop their process.

How will their subscriptions quadruple when there are a thousand other places that already have loyal customers doing the exact same thing?
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 08:34 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Apologies, everyone, but they have done away with their ratings and I've looked everywhere to yet and re-subscribe to ANYTHING of theirs, but they have nothing to offer for the time being...

Just make 'em up, Truck. Create your own rating system. We'll play along. You can use your ID to affect a scale:

"Peterbilt Performers"...
"The Kenworthies"...

Eh?
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 09:14 AM)djs7685 Wrote: But you can get accurate weekly, monthly, and average numbers on a LOT of different websites.

PFF actually had something unique going on, but apparently they weren't making enough money with it or else I have no clue why they'd stop their process.

How will their subscriptions quadruple when there are a thousand other places that already have loyal customers doing the exact same thing?

It's just an opinion of mine that's all but when there's money involved, accurate and reliable numbers will demand a price. People are willing to pay for anything that will give them an advantage at anything and PFF is going to tap that well.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 08:55 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I use Football Outsiders for stuff like snap count now, and they have a few decent stats of their own, but it's nothing like what PFF had to offer. It's a real bummer that these changes happened. Sad

Football Outsiders has been around long before PFF.  They have a lot good stats that don't seem to be as subjective as PFF.
Reply/Quote
PFF just scouts the players. It's too subjective based on what the grader thinks is important. They need a more consistent means.
Reply/Quote
I never took PFF too seriously, but it was definitely fun to read on Monday. Truck has a good thing going there.

Maybe Truck could just give us the box score and give each player a letter grade? At least it'd give us something good to discuss.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 10:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Football Outsiders has been around long before PFF.  They have a lot good stats that don't seem to be as subjective as PFF.

They've been around longer, but with less content. I do like a lot of what Football Outsiders does though, they have some interesting statistical analysis. I just wish they had more.

Sure, some things are subjective, but so are a lot of stats from any other website. Hell, the official tackle statistic is subjective. Giving a player a half sack or not is subjective.

Football Outsiders doesn't have a drop stat for WRs. PFF did. I'd rather have a subjective drop rate from one reputable website rather than no statistic for it at all. I'm well aware that the information is out there in other places (sportingcharts tracks drops), but I just used that as an example off the top of my head. I'd rather have the subjective stats laid out for coverage than Football Outsiders not having individual coverage stats whatsoever.

I like what FO does, but there's nothing that's out there that can replace PFF as of right now.
Reply/Quote
I never have been and never will be a "stat" man. Stats only tell a part of the story, an important one but they only open the discussion, not end it.

Still I really enjoyed Trucks PFF threads and liked to see if my opinion of whomever matched theirs. I'll miss it !
Reply/Quote
Sometimes I agreed, and sometimes I did not.

Yet always looked forward to it and always respected Trucks effort and time spent in bringing this to our table of discussion.  

Was one of the threads opened first by me when posted always.

Would like to take a moment to applaud Truck for the years of data supplied that I would never have seen without his threads.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Booooooooooooo

Reply/Quote

Damn, even though i did not put much stock in PFF, it was still interesting and you did a great job of it.

Again i say damn. :angry:
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 09:15 AM)tigershrimp Wrote: Just make 'em up, Truck. Create your own rating system. We'll play along. You can use your ID to affect a scale:

"The Kenworthies"...

Eh?

Do it, do it.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 09:15 AM)tigershrimp Wrote: Just make 'em up, Truck. Create your own rating system. We'll play along. You can use your ID to affect a scale:

"The Kenworthies"...

Eh?

(10-06-2015, 11:11 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I never took PFF too seriously, but it was definitely fun to read on Monday. Truck has a good thing going there.

Maybe Truck could just give us the box score and give each player a letter grade? At least it'd give us something good to discuss.

(10-06-2015, 12:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Do it, do it.

You know what? I think I will...

As most of you know, I attempted the process when they were hiring after the 2012 season, but it was taking me too long (I had major issues with the video quality of my feed; I should've just PVR'd all the games. Khaled even told me that even with the horrible feed I got, 94.7% accuracy over 3 games was damn good and that he wanted to keep me on) and I was in my last class of university, thus I needed to focus in order to graduate. While I didn't get as far as the actual grading process (I believe Eox actually did attempt this when he got with them), I am familiar with how the system works (give points for positive plays, take away for negative plays), but the interpretation I'm not particularly great with; Like I say, I'm just the messenger and I TRY to interpret the grades, but I'm not always sure.

I'll get back to you guys in the next day or two at the most; I need to think up a metric or system and I can just use PFF's model, if it works; I'll need to rewatch the game (which is no problem, save for losses) but I think it'll: A, work and B, give a different spin on things, to truly see if Dre is as bad as they say or if Whitworth is being embellished.

And, of course, if the Madden ratings they have people are content with, then we can just go with that, but I severely doubt it, DJS hit the nail on the head: They had a great, informative and most of all, UNIQUE thing going and then they decide to scrap it out of the blue for a common thing?

Subscriptions will be DOWN and fast, I assure you.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
You've always been a very objective poster, Truck. I think a lot more people than just the few that mentioned it in here would be very willing to read the thread each week even if it were only your personal grading system instead of PFF's.

Sucks that they stopped doing the in depth stats, but it would still be cool to have the weekly thread with some form of grading. We're all capable of understanding that it's pretty subjective stuff, but that doesn't stop good conversation from forming from it.
Reply/Quote