Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something that was really apparent last night
The media loves to tag a narrative to sports teams, the NFL experiences this more than most. I have heard so many reasons as to why this team is unbeaten, why Dalton is so improved. However I object with a lot of them. There is something they are all missing.

Sports media talk of Dalton's improved 'maturity'. While there may be some truth in that, I don't see it as the pivotal change. Dalton was drafted as a mature, pro-ready QB from the get go and proved it, getting this team to the playoffs as a rookie after a holdout.

The media too likes to talk of this teams health and depth. Undoubtedly this has been a factor this year. Having Eifert, Jones and Green fully healthy has been one of the main reasons Dalton is playing how he is and that this team is undefeated. Yet I still don't think it's the missing ingredient here. This team has had a number of talented teams with Palmer and Dalton under the helm and have failed to live up to potential.

The real difference here? The team is having fun. Last night against the Browns I noticed it more than ever. Dalton was smiling and laughing after completions. When Hue called a timeout in the first half to avoid a possible delay of game Dalton was relaxed, and playful with the coaches. Although they weren't too successful last night, Dalton is calling his own number on run plays, he wants to be a part of the fun. This is a team that is clearly enjoying its football and is playing with a level of calm and relaxation that I haven't seen personally from a Bengal side. As the wins continue this team is evidently enjoying its football more and taking itself less seriously. One of the features I have always thought defines Brady and the Patriots is the fact they are a band of brothers that love to be out on the field. I am increasingly getting the same vibe from this team.

You can look to stats, QBR, metrics, QB hurries and whatever else to try to unpick the success/failings of a team. But sometimes its far more simple than that, just look at their faces and body language.

Reply/Quote
Last couple games, I've heard the booth guys admit Dalton took a shell of a team into the post-season last year. No Eifert, no Jones...no AJ? Besides the very best (Brady and Rodgers, obviously) what other QB is playoff-bound missing his 1-2-3 weapons? Even Brady and Rodgers might well stumble. Have they done that, btw? Won a playoff game without the 1-3 guys from Week One?
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 10:16 AM)tigershrimp Wrote: Last couple games, I've heard the booth guys admit Dalton took a shell of a team into the post-season last year. No Eifert, no Jones...no AJ? Besides the very best (Brady and Rodgers, obviously) what other QB is playoff-bound missing his 1-2-3 weapons? Even Brady and Rodgers might well stumble. Have they done that, btw? Won a playoff game without the 1-3 guys from Week One?

I noticed that too....maybe folks are finally getting their heads outta their asses regarding this kid....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't remember any primetime games where they, not only say, but also post a teams negatives/failures on the screen like last night, with the Dalton/YA Tittle stat and how the Bengals are the only team to lose 4 straight playoff games in a row.

Even with the sound off I can't get away from the classless media!

I guess the only way out is having JB hoist the Lomardi trophy!
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 09:51 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: The media loves to tag a narrative to sports teams, the NFL experiences this more than most. I have heard so many reasons as to why this team is unbeaten, why Dalton is so improved. However I object with a lot of them. There is something they are all missing.

Sports media talk of Dalton's improved 'maturity'. While there may be some truth in that, I don't see it as the pivotal change. Dalton was drafted as a mature, pro-ready QB from the get go and proved it, getting this team to the playoffs as a rookie after a holdout.

The media too likes to talk of this teams health and depth. Undoubtedly this has been a factor this year. Having Eifert, Jones and Green fully healthy has been one of the main reasons Dalton is playing how he is and that this team is undefeated. Yet I still don't think it's the missing ingredient here. This team has had a number of talented teams with Palmer and Dalton under the helm and have failed to live up to potential.

The real difference here? The team is having fun. Last night against the Browns I noticed it more than ever. Dalton was smiling and laughing after completions. When Hue called a timeout in the first half to avoid a possible delay of game Dalton was relaxed, and playful with the coaches. Although they weren't too successful last night, Dalton is calling his own number on run plays, he wants to be a part of the fun. This is a team that is clearly enjoying its football and is playing with a level of calm and relaxation that I haven't seen personally from a Bengal side. As the wins continue this team is evidently enjoying its football more and taking itself less seriously. One of the features I have always thought defines Brady and the Patriots is the fact they are a band of brothers that love to be out on the field. I am increasingly getting the same vibe from this team.

You can look to stats, QBR, metrics, QB hurries and whatever else to try to unpick the success/failings of a team. But sometimes its far more simple than that, just look at their faces and body language.

"Hey, guys, lets go out there and have some fun!"
Reply/Quote
The ONLY difference between this years offense and last years offense is that Dalton's weapons are all finally healthy together. Its amazing what a combination of a healthy AJ Green, Eif, Marvin Jones, Gio, etc can do vs. Rex Burkhead and Brandon Tate.

Everyone needs to stop trying to pin it on other things. It comes down to play makers being on the field and giving Andy options, something they sorely missed last year.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 11:06 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I don't remember any primetime games where they, not only say, but also post a teams negatives/failures on the screen like last night, with the Dalton/YA Tittle stat and how the Bengals are the only team to lose 4 straight playoff games in a row.

Actually, they do it all the time. If the narrative on a particular player or team is negative, they have no problems continuing that narrative.

For the Bengals and Dalton, it's about our playoff failures. 

I did like how they brought up that Peyton didn't win his first playoff game until his 6th season. Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 11:14 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Actually, they do it all the time. If the narrative on a particular player or team is negative, they have no problems continuing that narrative.

For the Bengals and Dalton, it's about our playoff failures. 

I did like how they brought up that Peyton didn't win his first playoff game until his 6th season. Smirk

Agree to disagree. They may verbally speak those things, but to take the time and configure a visual display covering the whole screen, is WAY over the top!
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 11:06 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I don't remember any primetime games where they, not only say, but also post a teams negatives/failures on the screen like last night, with the Dalton/YA Tittle stat and how the Bengals are the only team to lose 4 straight playoff games in a row.

I took that differently last night, particularly the comments by Nance and Simms. It seemed to me that they were saying yes, Dalton lost 4 straight playoff games and last to do that was YA Tittle, who has been regarded as an all-time great. They also followed that up with a comment that Peyton Manning did not win a playoff game till his 6th season. I saw it as a statement of Dalton being in some very select company.
Reply/Quote
Our failure in the playoffs is a real story line. There is no way we can just say it does not exist.

But Jim Nance was very strong in his praise for Dalton. Simms finally told him "Give it up. You are not going to win this argument until Dalton wins a playoff game." As much as we all hate to hear it this is the truth. Our failure in the playoffs is historic. There is no way they are not going to mention it.

Matt Ryan went through the same thing in Atlanta even though he was winning more games and putting up better passing numbers than Dalton. After he finally won a playoff game he was considered a top QB even when he was not playing as well as he was before he won a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Our failure in the playoffs is a real story line.  There is no way we can just say it does not exist.

But Jim Nance was very strong in his praise for Dalton.  Simms finally told him "Give it up.  You are not going to win this argument until Dalton wins a playoff game."  As much as we all hate to hear it this is the truth.  Our failure in the playoffs is historic.  There is no way they are not going to mention it.  

Matt Ryan went through the same thing in Atlanta even though he was winning more games and putting up better passing numbers than Dalton.  After he finally won a playoff game he was considered a top QB even when he was not playing as well as he was before he won a playoff game.

Agree,

There's a real chemistry going on here, like Wolfkaosun said last night - they genuinely like each other. Which makes it fun, makes them believe in each other. That's what it takes.

Having said that none of this matters until they win in the playoffs. And I believe we will !
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Our failure in the playoffs is a real story line.  There is no way we can just say it does not exist.

But Jim Nance was very strong in his praise for Dalton.  Simms finally told him "Give it up.  You are not going to win this argument until Dalton wins a playoff game."  As much as we all hate to hear it this is the truth.  Our failure in the playoffs is historic.  There is no way they are not going to mention it.  

Matt Ryan went through the same thing in Atlanta even though he was winning more games and putting up better passing numbers than Dalton.  After he finally won a playoff game he was considered a top QB even when he was not playing as well as he was before he won a playoff game.

I wonder how differently Dalton would have been perceived had his lone playoff appearance had been the lost to SD?  It isn't like this team was expected to reach the playoffs the last 4 years.  
Reply/Quote
I remember them doing the same thing to Peyton until he won the SB even though he was one of the greatest regular season QBs of all time, he was terrible in the playoffs. It is annoying as a Bengals fan to keep hearing the same thing though. Hopefully this lack of respect continues to drive the team, it might actually work out in our favor that we continue to be dissed by the media.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 11:44 AM)MTBengalsFan Wrote: I took that differently last night, particularly the comments by Nance and Simms. It seemed to me that they were saying yes, Dalton lost 4 straight playoff games and last to do that was YA Tittle, who has been regarded as an all-time great. They also followed that up with a comment that Peyton Manning did not win a playoff game till his 6th season. I saw it as a statement of Dalton being in some very select company.

I had the sound down. All I thought when I saw the video display, was, "Can't watch a game without bringing that up, especially on a winning note. I could see them doing it if they laid an egg."
Reply/Quote

should have had the sound on they were talking up dalton almost all game..

Saying that if he had not made the playoffs year 1 and 2 everyone would be talkig about how great he has been doing and how much he matured the last few years.

They discussed all 4 playoff losses and said really only the San Diego game was the one they felt the bengals should have won. And that they definately didnt have much of a chance last year in the playoffs based on who was missing.

In the time Dalton has been in the NFL only 2 QBs have more wins.. Brady and Rodgers.

They were actually highlighting the good parts about andy and attacking some of the media bais towards the kid.

They also pointed out the Great Peyton didnt get a Playoff win till year 6
Reply/Quote
I think its kind of crazy how the media fails to realize how difficult it is to even make the playoffs 4 years in a row in probably the most consistently good division in football.
Reply/Quote
Having fun is a big part of that but what your missing is the team is relaxed and calm under pressure.

They get down a TD to start a game (like in Buffalo) no big deal they come back. Andy throws an INT (against Pitt) no big deal they come back, the team is down 17 against the Seattle, no big deal they come back.

Working well when faced with adversity has to be the strongest trait this team has.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: should have had the sound on they were talking up dalton almost all game..

Saying that if he had not made the playoffs year 1 and 2 everyone would be talkig about how great he has been doing and how much he matured the last few years.

They discussed all 4 playoff losses and said really only the San Diego game was the one they felt the bengals should have won.  And that they definately didnt have much of a chance last year in the playoffs based on who was missing.

In the time Dalton has been in the NFL only 2 QBs have more wins.. Brady and Rodgers.

They were actually highlighting the good parts about andy and attacking some of the media bais towards the kid.

They also pointed out the Great Peyton didnt get a Playoff win till year 6

These are all the same points I used as to why people shouldn't have been so down on Dalton to begin with.  If people weren't so biased, it wouldn't take the guy playing at an MVP level and the team being undefeated to see that the guy is a franchise QB.  
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:09 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: I think its kind of crazy how the media fails to realize how difficult it is to even make the playoffs 4 years in a row in probably the most consistently good division in football.

Hell, a lot of our fans couldn't even appreciate that.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:20 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: These are all the same points I used as to why people shouldn't have been so down on Dalton to begin with. If people weren't so biased, it wouldn't take the guy playing at an MVP level and the team being undefeated to see that the guy is a franchise QB.

Maybe just Maybe they are starting to come around... It was NFLN and not ESPN though lol

(11-06-2015, 01:15 PM)corpjet Wrote: Having fun is a big part of that but what your missing is the team is relaxed and calm under pressure.

They get down a TD to start a game (like in Buffalo) no big deal they come back. Andy throws an INT (against Pitt) no big deal they come back, the team is down 17 against the Seattle, no big deal they come back.

Working well when faced with adversity has to be the strongest trait this team has.

that is because andy dalton has taken over the leadership role and his team believes in him..

Everyone of these guys impresses me in the interviews... They all seem to just want to do whatever can help the team win. There are no self proclaimed superstars just guys getting it done.

Something that happened after the game that tells me Dalton has the Swagger to win it all... Sharp i believe was saying how he was one of the guys that is waiting for a playoff win but would be the first to wear a dalton jersey after the championship game.

And dalton said he had heard that and had a jersey ready for him.... That was dalton saying your gonna need this cause we are taking it all this year.
Reply/Quote