Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something the rest of the world is missing out on
Goetta.. (pronounced Get•ah or gutta to my dad) Yes, that wonderful concoction of steel cut oats, sausage and other stuff that sizzels and pops in the skillet. 
I grew up with grandmas recipe she never wrote down and never shared, but Gliers comes in a strong second. 
Here in South Carolina nobody has the first clue what the stuff is which is a shame. A lot of pork and sausage products are sold in the area, but goetta ain't one of them so on a recent trip to Ohio we purchased about 6 rolls of it and now short of driving all the way to Ohio or coming up with my own recipe we'll be goetta starved unless we shell out about $9 per roll to have it shipped here.
I've tried several recipes online, but none seems to cut it. How the rest of the civilized world has ignored goetta is one of lifes mysteries. I can't think of many food items I like better than Gliers goetta fried in fresh butter with a couple of eggs over easy.
If you live in Cincinnati and have never tried it you're definitely missing out on one of the world's greatest treats. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Direct quote from wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goetta

"Goetta is a meat-and-grain sausage or mush of German inspiration that is popular in the greater Cincinnati area"
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 02:03 AM)grampahol Wrote: A lot of pork and sausage products are sold in the area, but goetta ain't one of them so on a recent trip to Ohio we purchased about 6 rolls of it and now short of driving all the way to Ohio or coming up with my own recipe we'll be goetta starved unless we shell out about $9 per roll to have it shipped here.

I see a niche market opportunity.

Start your own goetta distributorship where you live.  Pay for your stash from the profits you make off others by supplying them with a delicious treat that was not available in their area before.
Reply/Quote
Is it all that different from scrapple? They eat that stuff in Philly, and south Jersey... I've never had either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I've never heard of it before.  But then again, I've never heard of putting chili on spaghetti either until starting to hang out in these parts. 

we make mush here.  but its just corn meal and water mixed together.  fry some mush up with a couple eggs and pour syrup over all of it....oh man, that's a breakfast to die for!
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 12:54 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I've never heard of it before.  But then again, I've never heard of putting chili on spaghetti either until starting to hang out in these parts. 

we make mush here.  but its just corn meal and water mixed together.  fry some mush up with a couple eggs and pour syrup over all of it....oh man, that's a breakfast to die for!

If you live in the area you gotta try it. Fry till golden brown both sides and enjoy.. 
And Fred, South Carolina probably isn't going to become a goetta hotbed any time soon. Grits are the big thing here. Haven't you watched My Cousin Vinny before? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Is there a beef, chicken, or turkey version of goetta for we non-pork eaters?
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 12:14 PM)jason Wrote: Is it all that different from scrapple? They eat that stuff in Philly, and south Jersey... I've never had either.

Oh yeah, night and day difference. People who have never had goetta will say, "Oh, it is like scrapple." People who have never had scrapple will say, "They have something like goetta in Philly - it's called scrapple."

I've had both. The best comparison I could give you - and I have never eaten cow shit, but I can't imagine it tasting good - is if you asked someone if they liked steak and they said, "Well, I have never had it but I have had something like steak called cow shit," or, "Oh yeah, I like steak, and I hear some people eat something a lot like it called cow shit."

Goetta is the steak in that analogy, and scrapple is the cow shit.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 05:21 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Is there a beef, chicken, or turkey version of goetta for we non-pork eaters?

I know people who make their own using venison. I am sure you could do the same thing with beef or chicken. I is no different than deer, beef, or chicken sausage vs pork sausage. Obviously they all taste different, but they all exist.

For anyone who has never tried it I can tell you a little trivia. Glier's used to ship goetta to individuals (not stores) as far away as Alaska, and I suspect they still do. There used to be a "Cincy's Finest" store in Clearwater, FL and it had (of course) Graeter's Ice Cream, LaRosa's Pizza, Skyline Chili, Grippo's Potato Chips, Mike Sells Chips, JTM Meats, some other stuff and - yes - Glier's Goetta.

If you have a friend who makes it from Grandma's recipe feel free to try it, but I would not recommend buying any commercial brand other than Glier's. The step down in quality is like going from a filet mignon to a McDonald's hamburger in most cases. Just get the best - Glier's.

As of a few years ago Cincy/Northern KY had not one but two Goetta Festivals. So, for folks looking to make a pilgrimage to the Queen City to see the Reds or Bengals or Kings Island or the Zoo why not make your visit in conjunction with a goetta festival and see what it is all about. It could change your life.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 02:08 PM)grampahol Wrote: If you live in the area you gotta try it. Fry till golden brown both sides and enjoy.. 

One of the great things about it is the way you can vary it in preparation. Some people like it cut from a 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch thick and then the outside is crispy but the inside stays soft. Other people spread it wafer thin and then it is just all crispy. Either way it is delicious as a stand alone or alongside any breakfast item (french toast, omelette, eggs, quiche...).

But you can also use it to top pizza (or other dishes) and you can top it with salt and pepper, butter, honey, syrup, cheese, or damn near anything else you can think of. I think at the festival someone told me they were crumbling it over vanilla ice cream, which although at first blush sounds gross it is probably pretty awesome as you would get a nice sweet/savory thing going with that.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 05:21 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Is there a beef, chicken, or turkey version of goetta for we non-pork eaters?

I believe Gliers sells a turkey version. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 05:12 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I believe Gliers sells a turkey version. 

Per their website, goetta.com., they do indeed.

I meant to mention this earlier, but it also contains beef in the original version - not only pork as was suggested early on in the thread.

Also - and this will sound crazy but I swear it is true - if you have to buy it in the sausage rolls then do so, but if you can find a shop that sells it in square blocks buy it that way - for some reason it cooks up much better in that form. I used to buy 10 pound blocks squares, and either ask the butcher to cut it into one inch strips or just take it home and slice it up and freeze most of it. The block is the way to go - if a whole block is too much ask your butcher to slice off what you need and they usually will.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 05:39 PM)xxlt Wrote: Per their website, goetta.com., they do indeed.

I meant to mention this earlier, but it also contains beef in the original version - not only pork as was suggested early on in the thread.

Also - and this will sound crazy but I swear it is true - if you have to buy it in the sausage rolls then do so, but if you can find a shop that sells it in square blocks buy it that way - for some reason it cooks up much better in that form. I used to buy 10 pound blocks squares, and either ask the butcher to cut it into one inch strips or just take it home and slice it up and freeze most of it. The block is the way to go - if a whole block is too much ask your butcher to slice off what you need and they usually will.

There is a butcher shop right by my house (Langens) that makes their own goetta and sells it by the block. This man speaks the truth, the blocks is the way to go. 
Reply/Quote
As per Fred's link, literally nobody outside of Cincinnati has any clue what goetta is. It seems that it was created by Germans, but they were here already. Otherwise you'd think it would be in other places with a high German population.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 05:39 PM)xxlt Wrote: Per their website, goetta.com., they do indeed.

Yep, the blocks are the way to go, and as mentioned, freezing the excess is also the way to go imho. 

I prepare goetta in two ways primarily: thin sliced, cooked crisp, and drizzle a small amount of maple syrup over it, adding just enough sweetness to 'spike it up'.
My other favorite way is a little more labor intensive BUT pretty damned good. I cut it as thin as I can while it still holds together and roll a hard-boiled egg in it, making an even, thin layer of goetta on the complete egg. Then roll that in flour and deep-fry it ala Scotch egg. Serve with your favorite mustard and beer, and turn on the game!
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 10:20 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Yep, the blocks are the way to go, and as mentioned, freezing the excess is also the way to go imho. 

I prepare goetta in two ways primarily: thin sliced, cooked crisp, and drizzle a small amount of maple syrup over it, adding just enough sweetness to 'spike it up'.
My other favorite way is a little more labor intensive BUT pretty damned good. I cut it as thin as I can while it still holds together and roll a hard-boiled egg in it, making an even, thin layer of goetta on the complete egg. Then roll that in flour and deep-fry it ala Scotch egg. Serve with your favorite mustard and beer, and turn on the game!

I was going to have you stoned for the maple syrup nonsense, but then you totally redeemed yourself with the hard boiled egg.  I might give that a go, but I'm pretty sure I'll screw it up if I do.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 10:35 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I was going to have you stoned for the maple syrup nonsense, but then you totally redeemed yourself with the hard boiled egg.  I might give that a go, but I'm pretty sure I'll screw it up if I do.

Dude...dont knock the maple syrup until you try it. 

Goetta, egg, cheese sandwhich with a splash of maple syrup is gods gift to earth. 
Reply/Quote
I don't think this is a German thing.  I think this is a Cincy thing.  Kinda weird like pouring chili on your spaghetti.  I mean I'd give it a try, I'll eat anything once, but this is definitely a southern Ohio creation.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 10:35 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I was going to have you stoned for the maple syrup nonsense, but then you totally redeemed yourself with the hard boiled egg.  I might give that a go, but I'm pretty sure I'll screw it up if I do.

That honor was taken long before you were a twinkle in your Daddy's eye  Ninja  BTW, maple syrup on goetta has been a favorite for many for a long, long time, but not for everybody. More for me  Cool

As for the egg, it does take a little time to get the goetta evenly distributed around the egg. When you do get it right. place it on a slotted spoon, and gently lower into the basket of your deep fryer so it remains in tact. It only takes a few minutes for it to turn a golden brown. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Goetta is freaking amazing. Hit up Goettafest and make you feel like you're in the Forrest Gump listing shrimp scene. Goetta grilled cheese, goetta fried rice, goetta pizza, goetta corndog, goetta on macaroni and cheese.

Michael, I am not a big hard boiled egg fan, but you replace those with some over medium eggs and I am game.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote