Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something to Prove; Preseason Game 1
Some people hate preseason, think it's a waste, and wouldn't waste too much time watching it through the fourth quarter. I for one love them and hope they don't end them anytime soon.

I appreciate the opportunity to see some of the players who we (hopefully) won't see much through the season. Depth players who are on the roster to develop. Players fighting for a spot and in some cases breaking through. A couple players I plan to keep an eye on preseason game 1, players who should have something to prove....

Trayveon Wiliams - Led the sec in yards, looked quicker then Gio in brief appearances late last season. Ball security an issue. Roster spot may be in trouble if Pooka shines and they can't fit 7 receivers on the roster.

Mitchell Wilcox - Before they claimed Moss, I thought maybe Wilcox could sneak on as the 3rd TE if he showed something in preseason. The 2020 undrafted free agent class was hurt by not being able to shine in preseason last year. He and Scotty Washington are players to keep an eye on.

Kyle Shurmur - We know what we have in Allen. On a one year deal, is there a hidden gem behind him?

Keandre Jones/Joe Banchie - If we can't find room for a 10th Dlineman (we should be able to), then it's because one of these two lb's have shown promise. Good players with special team potential.

Any players deeeep down the depth charts anyone else interested in keeping a "scouting" eye on?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 08:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: Any players deeeep down the depth charts anyone else interested in keeping a "scouting" eye on?

Speaking of Thaddeus Moss and also being deep down the depth chart.    It will be interesting to see what he does.   I know a lot of people here give him a lot of credit because of his time at LSU with Burrow and his dad's name.  But he still has a lot to prove to even make the team.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Tiger
The backup quarterback every single snap.
Reply/Quote
I am anxious to see Chris Evans, Marcus Bailey, and Eli Apple.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 08:46 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger
The backup quarterback every single snap.

Don't jinx it, he could be the "back up" starter for all 17 games.   Ninja
Reply/Quote
It's probably easier to name those without something to prove.

Tyler Boyd is good for 1000 yards, injuries permitting.

Everyone else is more or less a rookie/new to the team/returning from injury/looking to establish that last year wasn't an one-off
Reply/Quote
Come out and run the ball from one end of the field to the other...
Reply/Quote
I think Michael Jordan needs to.come out and really
Win his battles in the trenches.
Lets see if he.can put last years incident vs the Skins
Behind him and move foward.

I want to see Auden Tate continue his progression
As a WR.

Drew Sample needs to also prove he can be a factor
In.the vertical passing game
Reply/Quote
There’s some interesting battles going on for the last WR spot. I think this Irwin guy is gonna turn some heads. He seems like a crafty guy who just finds ways to win matchups.
Reply/Quote
Tyler Shelvin needs to light it up returning kicks!
Reply/Quote
Joesph Ossai and Cam Sample need to show they can be good Edge Defenders or the Bengals defense will struggle this season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Would also love to see Phillips solidify his spot as the top punt returner and #2 KR. Guy was electric in college, we could use that this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 11:27 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Would also love to see Phillips solidify his spot as the top punt returner and #2 KR. Guy was electric in college, we could use that this year.

i think we have 2 phillips on roster atm
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 11:27 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Would also love to see Phillips solidify his spot as the top punt returner and #2 KR. Guy was electric in college, we could use that this year.

I'd rather see Pooka Williams flash big time as a punt returner.   I love his dimension of speed and quickness.   I'd love for him to make the team, and right now it's totally dependent on how he looks like returning punts.
Reply/Quote
And in general, a good outing by the O-line with some of the newer players (Smith) flashing as well as good outings by all the guards. I would love there to be a reliable interior line and depth at tackle.

My fear is that there is neither, so I'm extremely nervous.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 12:12 PM)3wt Wrote: And in general, a good outing by the O-line with some of the newer players (Smith) flashing as well as good outings by all the guards.   I would love there to be a reliable interior line and depth at tackle.

My fear is that there is neither, so I'm extremely nervous.

want to see consistency not flash here and there
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 08:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: Some people hate preseason, think it's a waste, and wouldn't waste too much time watching it through the fourth quarter. I for one love them and hope they don't end them anytime soon.

I appreciate the opportunity to see some of the players who we (hopefully) won't see much through the season. Depth players who are on the roster to develop. Players fighting for a spot and in some cases breaking through. A couple players I plan to keep an eye on preseason game 1, players who should have something to prove....

Trayveon Wiliams - Led the sec in yards, looked quicker then Gio in brief appearances late last season. Ball security an issue. Roster spot may be in trouble if Pooka shines and they can't fit 7 receivers on the roster.

Mitchell Wilcox - Before they claimed Moss, I thought maybe Wilcox could sneak on as the 3rd TE if he showed something in preseason. The 2020 undrafted free agent class was hurt by not being able to shine in preseason last year. He and Scotty Washington are players to keep an eye on.

Kyle Shurmur - We know what we have in Allen. On a one year deal, is there a hidden gem behind him?

Keandre Jones/Joe Banchie - If we can't find room for a 10th Dlineman (we should be able to), then it's because one of these two lb's have shown promise. Good players with special team potential.

Any players deeeep down the depth charts anyone else interested in keeping a "scouting" eye on?

Thaddeus Moss is the guy that looks great right now, he looks very quick for a TE and has great hands and runs good routes.

Bet he beats out Wilcox and I like Wilcox as a Receiver better than Sample cause he isn't as much of a plodder.

I liked Bachie in college, will be watching him.

Pooka is another player who can play a role for us on ST's and think he could make the team.

The other 2 UDFA's in Pro Wells and DJ O'Grady are a couple others I will be watching for.

Agree, I really like Preseason, we all know it is meaningless in ways, not so much in other ways. It is some player's entire life.
Reply/Quote
All good ones. We do have a couple open corner spots (5th, 6th) and some interesting players to watch would be Jalen Davis, Eli Apple, and Winston Rose.

Also I thought Stanley Morgan may shine given his college coach (the one that coached him to school records) is now our WR coach. I haven't heard much about him although he's looked good in the individual drills.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 11:09 AM)Synric Wrote: Joesph Ossai and Cam Sample need to show they can be good Edge Defenders or the Bengals defense will struggle this season.

This too, really want to see how these guys play.
Reply/Quote