Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something to consider regarding free agency
From the March 7th, 2003 entry of "This Day in Bengals History":

"...the impact of new head coach Marvin Lewis is immediately felt in the first hours of free agency with verbal agreements from valued and respected locker room pros in defensive tackle John Thornton and middle linebacker Kevin Hardy. The Bengals have never dropped money like this so quickly and expensively, but they are all in to help Lewis change the culture..."

Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the chances that the Bengals are active in free agency. The last time they hired a new head coach they were quite active...
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 04:02 PM)NKURyan Wrote: From the March 7th, 2003 entry of "This Day in Bengals History":

"...the impact of new head coach Marvin Lewis is immediately felt in the first hours of free agency with verbal agreements from valued and respected locker room pros in defensive tackle John Thornton and middle linebacker Kevin Hardy. The Bengals have never dropped money like this so quickly and expensively, but they are all in to help Lewis change the culture..."

Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the chances that the Bengals are active in free agency. The last time they hired a new head coach they were quite active...

Yeah, i get why some Bengal fans give pause cause they have been conditioned so but this team has been making different moves from the past the last few years and just cleaned house. They will get the players they want in FA i am sure of it and i bet they will be a lot better than Thornton and Hardy lol
Reply/Quote
the culture isnt as near bad as it was when Lewis took over in 2003.
the Bengals just came off a laughable 2 14 campiegn under Dick LeBeau.
Lewis had to quickly bring in high character guys like Hardy Thorthon
and Reggie Kelly.
this roster needs to bring in free agents that can still play at a high level and be 4th q. finishers.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2019, 12:34 AM)impactplaya Wrote: the culture isnt as near bad as it was when Lewis took over in 2003.
the Bengals just came off a laughable 2 14 campiegn under Dick LeBeau.
Lewis had to quickly bring in high character guys like Hardy Thorthon
and Reggie Kelly.
this roster needs to bring in free agents that can still play at a high level and be 4th q. finishers.

We need 4 decent starters on the O-line and Linebacker and we are looking like a tough team with a new culture being implemented.

I think we can get those 4 starters in FA and the Draft if we do it correctly and hit on a few. With new coaches we might even see a player already on the team be coached up into a decent starter. I wonder what Tem can do with a player like Malik Jefferson who didn't even get a shot last year while a terrible player like Nickerson started.

My God was Haslett a terrible Linebacker coach and this was under Marv once again who besides Burfict and Thurman has been terrible with Linebackers. Also believe that a player like Redmond and his nastiness has great upside like Jefferson does. He just needs to get the penalties out of his game and mature. I liked what X's and O's said, he even looks like a caged dog in the huddle. I like having mean players not puff balls.

Bottom line we don't know what the new coaches can do with players already on the team.

This is a new day and it is refreshing to say the least.
Reply/Quote