Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sometimes I wish our front office was this aggressive...
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30469684/source-new-york-jets-fire-defensive-coordinator-gregg-williams-controversial-blitz-call

Basically, the Jets lost on a last second touchdown pass vs the Raiders because their D Coordinator called an all out blitz instead of just, you know, trying to stop a touchdown. It wasn't even a goal line thing, it was a 46 yard touchdown, so it was very obviously a bad call.

The players criticized the play call after the game and this morning, the Jets fired Williams, presumably with that play call being the deciding factor.

Don't you wish the Bengals front office would be this decisive with Zac Taylor or Lou Anarumo or Jim Turner?

Like, imagine if after Burrow's injury, they just fired Jim Turner for being stupid enough to have Michael Jordan starting on that offensive line.

That would be so refreshing.

Now, don't mistake me. I don't wish our organization was run like the New York Jets, who are a horribly run franchise (granted, we are too), but every once in a while a blind squirrel finds a nut and firing coaches who are just blatantly and obviously ill equipped for the job they hold is an amenity even the worst teams have that we don't really get to experience as much as I wish we could.

Just some Monday Morning Musings for you :) .
Reply/Quote
The Bengals, under Mike Brown, have always operated at a strategic, snail pace. Since the Bengals are the pejorative Bungles, the Mike Brown way is rightfully opined as not being good. Your Monday Morning Musings are spot on, but deep down inside we all know the Bengals will not reactively hold decision making leaders accountable.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
“For those who say you shouldn’t have signed Bobby Hart, who is going to play right tackle? Who? Oh, maybe you’ll draft one in the third round and he’ll come on. Really? You’re going to bet your season on that? We may still draft somebody. We haven’t had the draft yet. But you just can’t criticize. In our business you have to solve the problem. If you’re not going to play him, tell me who? Trent Brown at $17 million? Really? A seventh-round draft pick? Let go essentially by his team. Really? We can’t go to WalMart and buy off the shelf. A high quality starting right tackle? That doesn’t exist (in free agency). You have to deal in the universe of options you have. We ended up signing eight guys. That’s probably above average. Were they perfect? You’re not going to get perfect. …” - Troy Blackburn
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
In before Fred to remind folks that the last DC that did this to us was fired mid season.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 01:29 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30469684/source-new-york-jets-fire-defensive-coordinator-gregg-williams-controversial-blitz-call

Basically, the Jets lost on a last second touchdown pass vs the Raiders because their D Coordinator called an all out blitz instead of just, you know, trying to stop a touchdown. It wasn't even a goal line thing, it was a 46 yard touchdown, so it was very obviously a bad call.

The players criticized the play call after the game and this morning, the Jets fired Williams, presumably with that play call being the deciding factor.

Don't you wish the Bengals front office would be this decisive with Zac Taylor or Lou Anarumo or Jim Turner?

Like, imagine if after Burrow's injury, they just fired Jim Turner for being stupid enough to have Michael Jordan starting on that offensive line.

Now, don't mistake me. I don't wish our organization was run like the New York Jets, who are a horribly run franchise (granted, we are too), but every once in a while a blind squirrel finds a nut and firing coaches who are just blatantly and obviously ill equipped for the job they hold is an amenity even the worst teams have that we don't really get to experience as much as I wish we could.

Personally, that was a tank play call.  The only reason you do that is you're hoping the other team scores to protect the #1 draft pick.

Win-win for Williams.  He gets out of NY and coach contracts are fully guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
I'd take Williams as a DC in Cincy.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 01:49 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I'd take Williams as a DC in Cincy.

Really? The guy hasn't been a good dc since bountygate. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
What you're forgetting is the Bengals front office IS very aggressive in firing people. Unfortunately the people getting fired every season are us as "fans" of the Bengals.. I'm still very much convinced that the Brown family took a deal to be the league doormat in exchange for cash. They do just enough to win a few games every now and then to convince the general public that they're an actual team trying..That's all..nothing more, nothing less.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 01:59 PM)jj22 Wrote: Really? The guy hasn't been a good dc since bountygate. 

He's had two top 10 defenses since leaving the Saints, including the #7 defense last season.  I would rather have Wade Phillips I suppose, but Williams would be a solid get for me.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 02:10 PM)grampahol Wrote: What you're forgetting is the Bengals front office IS very aggressive in firing people. Unfortunately the people getting fired every season are us as "fans" of the Bengals.. I'm still very much convinced that the Brown family took a deal to be the league doormat in exchange for cash. They do just enough to win a few games every now and then to convince the general public that they're an actual team trying..That's all..nothing more, nothing less.

As bad as this team is ran finding that to be true wouldn't shock me.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 01:49 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I'd take Williams as a DC in Cincy.

Isn't he the guy behind the bounty gate thing in addition to being the DC of the 0-16 Browns and the 0-12 practically 0-16 Jets?

That's a low bar.  I'm not saying he wouldn't be a step up though.  Ouch. 
Reply/Quote
I wish we had a front office.
Reply/Quote
They're overdramatic sensationalists but Tony and Mo ought to be entertaining today.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
The Jets fired their defensive coordinator for the same play call that lost us the second Browns game.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 01:29 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30469684/source-new-york-jets-fire-defensive-coordinator-gregg-williams-controversial-blitz-call

Complacency is a very powerful factor in this organization.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
So.... has Gregg Williams' defenses ranked higher or lower than Zimm and Gunther over the years? If I remember correctly, it was his schemes rather than his talent that earned him those rankings. He had a lot less talent than the Bengals. He made up for it by excessive risky blitz calling, because well.... he had to with what he was given. He used more 5+ blitzes than the Bengals who usually always rushed 4. I'd be up ok bringing him in.
Reply/Quote
We should model ourselves after the Jets.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
As long as there are external circumstances which can be used to explain poor performance there is no need to change one's attitude about the losses.

The external excuse in the Cincinnati Bengals case is the second year head coach who lost his starting quarterback and have lost many players to injury.

This front office will limp through the rest of the year evaluate the situation and make a decision after the season is over.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Nothing really to gain by firing anyone right now.

Jets had to because players called him out.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 05:19 PM)Yogo Wrote: So.... has Gregg Williams' defenses ranked higher or lower than Zimm and Gunther over the years?

Over his last 11 seasons as a DC, going back to 2008, his defenses have ranked in the bottom half of the league 8 times.

He seems to have lost the edge he had early in his career.
Reply/Quote