Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sometimes Rooting Against Your Team Is Really Rooting For Them
When I saw the final score today against the Giants, I was shocked the Bengals kept it so close against a bad Giants team. I was happy to see them go down.

Hear me out before you blast me about not being a fan. First off, we have one of the most exciting offensive lineman to come into this upcoming draft in years and we desperately need one to protect Joe more than anything. Winning games at this point is meaningless and will knock us down the draft choices and someone else will inevitably pick Sewell up.

Second, I don't want to see us winning a few games at the end of a meaningless season to give Mike Brown an excuse to keep the current coaching staff with momentum and improvement going into 2021 horseshit speech.

So yes sometimes rooting them to tank the last 5 weeks is a win in my book. I want a strong offensive line to protect our future QB and Sewell is the perfect start.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 08:04 PM)GodFather Wrote: When I saw the final score today against the Giants, I was shocked the Bengals kept it so close against a bad Giants team. I was happy to see them go down.

Hear me out before you blast me about not being a fan. First off, we have one of the most exciting offensive lineman to come into this upcoming draft in years and we desperately need one to protect Joe more than anything. Winning games at this point is meaningless and will knock us down the draft choices and someone else will inevitably pick Sewell up.

Second, I don't want to see us winning a few games at the end of a meaningless season to give Mike Brown an excuse to keep the current coaching staff with momentum and improvement going into 2021 horseshit speech.

So yes sometimes rooting them to tank the last 5 weeks is a win in my book. I want a strong offensive line to protect our future QB and Sewell is the perfect start.

Not to the guys putting their bodies on the line every game, and those are the ones I am rooting for to win out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree I'd be just as happy to see them lose out. We get Sewell at #3, then we pick third in each subsequent round to grab some guards or a speed WR. All wins do for us at this point is put us further back in drafting order.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 08:08 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Not to the guys putting their bodies on the line every game, and those are the ones I am rooting for to win out.

I like Sewell as much as anyone, but we're picking high regardless at this point.  This team is bad enough that they could use help at about 8 different positions on the roster, so if it isn't Penei, it will be somebody.

I do hate to see this staff brought back.  Last year the mood was halfway decent after they beat Cleveland in the last week.  I think we've seen enough now to know that different players aren't all that's needed here.  One win should in no way take the heat off of any of these coaches (if there's any on them to begin with).  

I want them to win, but I really hate to see this staff get credit for it.  If the team wins, it will be in spite of the coaching.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 08:08 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Not to the guys putting their bodies on the line every game, and those are the ones I am rooting for to win out.

Well if they have to play another season like these past two years their bodies will be in traction.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Winning a game now will give us temporary happiness. In April, we may wish we had lost that one game when we see a player we coveted get picked ahead of us.
Reply/Quote
I can't root for them to lose which is why I won't be watching much of these final games. However I do hope they don't win many more for two reasons.

1. Hopefully ZT and the merry band of fools will be gone. 2. Higher draft pick
Reply/Quote
It’s not just draft position. We need better coaches. These coaches continually prove their ineptitude. If they win a couple games at the end of the year Mike Brown likely keeps these coaches around. That would suck.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals pick Penei Sewell and his line coach is Jim Turner does it really matter?
Reply/Quote
If you are routing for them to lose how are you a fan of the team unless you've only been here for the Marvin years?

I survived the 90's and I never wanted them to lose then and still don't want them to lose now.

If anyone is hoping they lose out which would include a loss to pitt, you can seriously **** right off, cause no Bengal fan that is worth a shit would ever want this team to lose to pitt.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 08:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If the Bengals pick Penei Sewell and his line coach is Jim Turner does it really matter?

No because he will get hurt.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 08:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If the Bengals pick Penei Sewell and his line coach is Jim Turner does it really matter?

Sewell becomes the new Burrow if we draft him.

It'll be all... we got Sewell, this is the year we go 9-7 or maybe sneak into the playoffs or... blah blah blah

This team is more then 1 OT prospect away from being good. This team needs help on both lines and the secondary and at TE and at WR plus they need a complete culture change.

I said it in another thread and I'll say it here too, they need to learn to win as a team instead of losing week after week.

I know I'll get the "they've been winners prior to being here thing" but it is a mindset that can change. I was listening to Tim McGee after the game on the radio and he was talking about his time in Cincinnati and how that team came out of the tunnel and expected to win every week. Does anyone really think that this team comes out of the tunnel and thinks, we are going to win? Seriously?? 

I'd rather see them win out, beat a few good teams and have that momentum and confidence and hope it carries over to next season. That confidence in themselves, the players, not the coaches, the confidence in one another that they can win games and they can get it done is far more valuable then a tackle from Oregon.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 09:27 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Sewell becomes the new Burrow if we draft him.

It'll be all... we got Sewell, this is the year we go 9-7 or maybe sneak into the playoffs or... blah blah blah

This team is more then 1 OT prospect away from being good. This team needs help on both lines and the secondary and at TE and at WR plus they need a complete culture change.

I said it in another thread and I'll say it here too, they need to learn to win as a team instead of losing week after week.

I know I'll get the "they've been winners prior to being here thing" but it is a mindset that can change. I was listening to Tim McGee after the game on the radio and he was talking about his time in Cincinnati and how that team came out of the tunnel and expected to win every week. Does anyone really think that this team comes out of the tunnel and thinks, we are going to win? Seriously?? 

I'd rather see them win out, beat a few good teams and have that momentum and confidence and hope it carries over to next season. That confidence in themselves, the players, not the coaches, the confidence in one another that they can win games and they can get it done is far more valuable then a tackle from Oregon.

Good coaching is what wins games. If we lose out we likely get a new coach (hopefully someone that knows how to win).

It’s not as simple as wanting to win and having a winning attitude. You need good coaches that know how to win. Taylor has done nothing but prove he has no clue. Replace the coach and we have a chance. With Taylor we have a 10% chance of winning. Pretty much any coach you replace him with increases our odds next year. All I want to see is Zac to continue being Zac until he’s replaced.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 09:38 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Good coaching is what wins games. If we lose out we likely get a new coach (hopefully someone that knows how to win).

It’s not as simple as wanting to win and having a winning attitude. You need good coaches that know how to win. Taylor has done nothing but prove he has no clue. Replace the coach and we have a chance. With Taylor we have a 10% chance of winning. Pretty much any coach you replace him with increases our odds next year. All I want to see is Zac to continue being Zac until he’s replaced.

What makes you believe that?

I say again.... the Brown family is going to do what the Brown family wants to do. Our complaints, the media giving them hell, none of it matters. They are going to do what they want regardless.

If you really believe that the win loss record across these last few games is going to impact Taylor's future here, you really are just fooling yourself.

What wins get you: 

Development of guys who will be a part of this team next year.
More attractive to key FA's that the team might be turning a corner.
A more enjoyable experience to watch.

What you get by losing:
The 3rd pick in the draft. (Oh boy... who cares.)
Sewell might be great, or he might be Ced 2.0 
Most importantly, one tackle doesn't fix the team. I'd gladly give away the third pick to ruin the steelers season, get some wins and show signs of life that makes more FA's consider coming here. What's better, Sewell (who is potential but maybe not that great, see Jonah Williams) or landing a guy like Thurney who has already shown you, he can make a difference in the NFL. Winning matters to free agents...and with our draft history, free agents are who I want to impress not some draft prospect.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 08:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I agree I'd be just as happy to see them lose out. We get Sewell at #3, then we pick third in each subsequent round to grab some guards or a speed WR. All wins do for us at this point is put us further back in drafting order.

Isn't it ironic that the same OL that got Joe killed, is the same OL that killed the chances of the team pulling off a Herculean effort today, by allowing the pocket to collapse on Allen, causing him to fumble?

Seriously, I agree with taking Sewell at 3, but #35 must go to a pass rusher.  Having a modest pass rush might have won the Bengals another 3-4 games this season, already.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 09:27 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Sewell becomes the new Burrow if we draft him.

Absolutely.  We are so used to losing that fans know just as little about winning as the players do.  However, what we do know something about is draft position.   All of our problems will be cured by new players.  Having another cookie when you're fat won't cure you, but it'll make you feel better for the moment.  I'm tired of talking about draft position by week 10 every  year.

When you don't even have a plan for a backup quarterback, what are your realistic expectations for the season?  That would qualify as not doing your job.  
ZT has not brought a winning culture to this organization.  I do not expect any improvement with this coaching staff.  You give this guy the best college player in the world and the team does not improve?

Something is seriously wrong here.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 09:52 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Absolutely.  We are so used to losing that fans know just as little about winning as the players do.  However, what we do know something about is draft position.   All of our problems will be cured by new players.  Having another cookie when you're fat won't cure you, but it'll make you feel better for the moment.  I'm tired of talking about draft position by week 10 every  year.

When you don't even have a plan for a backup quarterback, what are your realistic expectations for the season?  That would qualify as not doing your job.  
ZT has not brought a winning culture to this organization.  I do not expect any improvement with this coaching staff.  You give this guy the best college player in the world and the team does not improve?

Something is seriously wrong here.

The Brown family would be the answer to what is wrong.

The team is going to have to learn how to win in spite of bad ownership and in spite of bad coaching. The sooner they learn to do that, the better off we are going to be.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 09:13 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If you are routing for them to lose how are you a fan of the team unless you've only been here for the Marvin years?

I survived the 90's and I never wanted them to lose then and still don't want them to lose now.

If anyone is hoping they lose out which would include a loss to pitt, you can seriously **** right off, cause no Bengal fan that is worth a shit would ever want this team to lose to pitt.

I've been a Bengals fan for 35 years, and have never rooted for them to lose, not even in during the 90's. However, I will go on record as saying that right now, for the first time in my life, I am actively rooting for them to lose all their remaining games. However, the reason I'm rooting for that is because I'm a Bengals fan and because I think it will potentially be more beneficial in the long run...not because I enjoy seeing them lose. That sucks, even when things are bad...and they're pretty damn bad right now.

Losing out guarantees Sewell. This team desperately needs him. This line desperately needs him. Joe Burrow desperately needs him. Being able to land Sewell makes rebuilding the line and trying to ensure Burrow's safety a much easier task. 

Also, while there's a very slim chance that the front office will replace Zac after the season, losing out is probably the only realistic way that it's even possible of happening. I think Zac is simply over his head as a head coach, and keeping him around is just wasting time. 

If losing out results in Sewell and a more qualified head coach...then it's worth it, IMO. While losing always sucks, how does winning a game or 2 at this point help this team at all? It could very well cost them Sewell and all but guarantee that hardly anything changes.

You can say that I'm not a Bengals fan because I'm wanting them to lose out, but the truth is, the only reason I'm want that to happen is because I'm a Bengals fan and I think it provides the best chance to (hopefully) turn things around sooner than later.

I understand people who can't root for the Bengals to lose in any situation. I've was that way for 34 and 10 games, but I've been all aboard the 'lose out' train since last week. So, if anyone feels like I'm not a 'real fan' after 35 years of being a diehard, and hopefully many more years to come...feel free to tell me why I'm not being a 'real fan' in hoping for losses in these final games.
Reply/Quote
I can never root against the Bengals; not for any reason.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 08:04 PM)GodFather Wrote: When I saw the final score today against the Giants, I was shocked the Bengals kept it so close against a bad Giants team. I was happy to see them go down.

No, you win by building a winning culture. You build a winning culture by winning. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote