Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sometimes Rooting Against Your Team Is Really Rooting For Them
(11-29-2020, 11:37 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: One draft pick, one free agent and health are the only things this team needs to be successful, even with Zac Asshat.

I guess it's possible.  I have a hard time seeing the Bengals, Jaguars, and Jets being top-tier AFC teams in the next few years because they have Burrow, Fields, and Lawrence, but you never know.  When I look at teams that are good now I see a lot of teams that haven't picked in the top 3 for quite a while.

With that being said, now that Burrow is busted for the year I'm fine with stinking it up for Sewell, but after that we have to stop hoping to lose.  Deal?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 11:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I guess it's possible.  I have a hard time seeing the Bengals, Jaguars, and Jets being top-tier AFC teams in the next few years because they have Burrow, Fields, and Lawrence, but you never know.  When I look at teams that are good now I see a lot of teams that haven't picked in the top 3 for quite a while.

With that being said, now that Burrow is busted for the year I'm fine with stinking it up for Sewell, but after that we have to stop hoping to lose.  Deal?

Yup

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 11:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I guess it's possible.  I have a hard time seeing the Bengals, Jaguars, and Jets being top-tier AFC teams in the next few years because they have Burrow, Fields, and Lawrence, but you never know.  When I look at teams that are good now I see a lot of teams that haven't picked in the top 3 for quite a while.

How bout after that we stop losing.....then win playoffs..... then Super Bowl?

Don't tell me the entire board and Bengals fanbase will be puppy dogs and ice cream for that year???
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 11:53 PM)GodFather Wrote: How bout after that we stop losing.....then win playoffs..... then Super Bowl?

Don't tell me the entire board and Bengals fanbase will be puppy dogs and ice cream for that year???

I'm down.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I think the main point I was trying to make is that we are all 'real fans' no matter how you're wanting the season to play out, how you think things should be done, what moves should be made, etc. I probably did a terrible job of conveying that though, because I'm as frustrated as anyone.

The fact that we all come here every damn day, that we watch this team year after year, that we've experienced all the up's and down's...every one who's been a Bengals fan for any length of time is a 'real fan'. We all see shit differently and have opposing opinions a lot of times, but hell, that's the cathartic part of being a Bengals fan to me...being able to come here, read everyone's thoughts, agree, disagree, and have people to share the frustration with. 

Basically, I just hope we can stop accusing each other of not being real fans if someone thinks differently.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 11:22 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If Zac's not head coach material, which IMO he's not, then where exactly does the 'winning culture' come from? Does it come from sticking with a terrible DC who your players are obviously having issues with? Does it come from hiring an OL coach that no one in the NFL would hire because he's a long time buddy? Does it come from not going all out to improve an o-line that was full of question marks and suspect talent, after drafting a franchise QB? Does it come from not making sure you had backup QB that can throw the ball more than 10 yards? Just a few of the things that are making question who's instilling this winning culture? 

To say that a getting a better coach isn't sound logic seems illogical to me. If the coach is better, then wouldn't the results potentially be better? You said winning games makes the team better, but how do you accomplish that if you have a subpar head coach and staff? Wouldn't a better coach and staff have a greater chance of winning games? 

In any business or things you do in life, there will be mistakes. They happen. The key is not repeating them. I'm not absolving Zach and FO decisions, the results speak for themselves, but the key is if the can learn from this and not make the same mistake. That would speak to just being a terrible leader (which tbh is probably the case, but this discussion is about building a winning culture). To keep chipping away at those mistakes, and be rewarded with a win. Then another win. Then another, etc. The winning culture comes from actually winning; rather if that's with Zac or someone else, it needs to happen and happen soon. Zach does not seem like he know how to build a good culture, but the point still remains that the only way for them and FO to learn to do that is by going through the bad, learning, not making the same mistake twice, and holding each other accountable. It reenforces what he (or another coach) is teaching. It builds that trust and chemistry. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 11:56 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think the main point I was trying to make is that we are all 'real fans' no matter how you're wanting the season to play out, how you think things should be done, what moves should be made, etc. I probably did a terrible job of conveying that though, because I'm as frustrated as anyone.

The fact that we all come here every damn day, that we watch this team year after year, that we've experienced all the up's and down's...every one who's been a Bengals fan for any length of time is a 'real fan'. We all see shit differently and have opposing opinions a lot of times, but hell, that's the cathartic part of being a Bengals fan to me...being able to come here, read everyone's thoughts, agree, disagree, and have people to share the frustration with. 

Basically, I just hope we can stop accusing each other of not being real fans if someone thinks differently.

We're all real fans. We just need a real team.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 12:11 AM)jason Wrote: We're all real fans. We just need a real team.

[Image: tenor.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 10:44 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I respect you and I respect your opinion.

Two things I will still say over and over about losing out. 

Sewell is not a sure thing. He's a great college tackle, so was Jonah Williams, so were many other draft picks taken in the top 5 of a draft that have never panned out. Winning will attract more free agents, and that is what is going to fix this team more then a top 3 pick.

Secondly, this picture... look at this picture

[Image: 078d7b48-39ec-4da6-9584-a08b9227eb06-112...&auto=webp]

That is the future in Tyler Boyd. That is a guy that is sick and tired of losing. I want that guy, and Gio and Tee and Bates and the other guys that are worth keeping to start feeling wins and to not have that look on their face.

I can not, and I will not cheer against this team and hope for losses. Losing out gets Sewell, great you gain one tackle at the costs of demoralizing Boyd, Bates, Higgins... yeah... not a trade I'm willing to make.

I'm 100% hoping to lose out an I have loved the Bengals since 1986.. A couple of meaningless wins at this point isn't gonna have any affect on FAs wanting to come here.. Overpay is the only way here..
Reply/Quote