Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Space Force
I thought maybe we could give this it's own thread since I didn't see where we talked about it by itself elsewhere.

Seems Trump/Pence are moving forward with this no matter what.

Today I saw this image on Twitter for the uniforms and I wondered if they will ever actually be in space.

[Image: EqaxewSVoAEBGLI?format=jpg&name=medium]

Although the double-breasted look seems vaguely familiar....
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
The logo reminds me of the ship from Asteroids.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That’s some nazi looking shit.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 06:51 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: That’s some nazi looking shit.

I had the same exact reaction.....Gestapo uniforms
Reply/Quote
Smartest person I know, who works in a field where he had to deal with that part of the Air Force (before Space Force) told me that it was a good idea because the top ranks of the Air Force are almost exclusively former fighter pilots. So when it comes to priorities, what is theirs? Fighters and pilots. Not satellites and satellite security. Moving that section to it's own branch allows them to focus on their field without any kind of outside influence/needs of the Air Force and allows them to tackle issues quicker because it's their sole mission.

Same way that the Air Force broke off from the Army in 1947. We just are taking the Space Command and making them their own branch.

Then I saw Neil deGrasse Tyson do his little media tour at the time talking about how he suggested it nearly two decades ago and how he'd like the Space Force to add asteroid defense and cleaning space debris. Also talked about how a huge chunk of our economy and daily life is now tied into GPS functioning (GPS being a military asset was Space Command and now Space Force's responsibility).

Figure that if the smartest person I know (who also works in that field and would know) and the most famous Astrophysicist in the world both are telling me the same kind of thing, then I should probably put some weight into that.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 01:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: I thought maybe we could give this it's own thread since I didn't see where we talked about it by itself elsewhere.

Seems Trump/Pence are moving forward with this no matter what.

Today I saw this image on Twitter for the uniforms and I wondered if they will ever actually be in space.

[Image: EqaxewSVoAEBGLI?format=jpg&name=medium]

Although the double-breasted look seems vaguely familiar....

(12-29-2020, 06:51 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: That’s some nazi looking shit.

(12-29-2020, 06:53 PM)Stewy Wrote: I had the same exact reaction.....Gestapo uniforms

US Navy uses double breasted jackets for their male dress blues.

[Image: om_servicedressblue_lg.jpg]

Also, it looks nothing like a gestapo uniform.

[Image: 182-20135111027_original.jpg]

Not everything has to be Nazis, you know.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 08:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: US Navy uses double breasted jackets for their male dress blues.

[Image: om_servicedressblue_lg.jpg]

Also, it looks nothing like a gestapo uniform.

[Image: 182-20135111027_original.jpg]

Not everything has to be Nazis, you know.

I was in the Navy, I had one of those uniforms. I think it’s mostly the gray and black combo that gives it the Nazi feel.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 09:01 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I was in the Navy, I had one of those uniforms. I think it’s mostly the gray and black combo that gives it the Nazi feel.

Except in that picture the uniform is clearly grey, white, and blue. Other than the artist shadowing and the dress shoes, there's no black on that uniform.

It looks like they're using Air Force blue as their inspiration (since they're branching off from them).

[Image: 1.jpg]

You want to see Nazi, so you're seeing Nazi. It's not there, man.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 09:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Except in that picture the uniform is clearly grey, white, and blue. Other than the artist shadowing and the dress shoes, there's no black on that uniform.

It looks like they're using Air Force blue as their inspiration (since they're branching off from them).

[Image: 1.jpg]

You want to see Nazi, so you're seeing Nazi. It's not there, man.

Nazi soldiers typically wore gray. Some varied more towards green, but by and large it was a grayish color during the war. I think that's the issue with the uniform: the allegedly pro white supremacist president makes his branch of military with the most pro white supremacist inform you can get outside of giving them pointy hats.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 10:32 PM)Benton Wrote: Nazi soldiers typically wore gray. Some varied more towards green, but by and large it was a grayish color during the war. I think that's the issue with the uniform: the allegedly pro white supremacist president makes his branch of military with the most pro white supremacist inform you can get outside of giving them pointy hats.

So no gray, no black, no blue, no green. Super reasonable. You know who else wore green and green doublebreasted coats (since apparently that's also a trigger now) at that? The people who FOUGHT the Nazi.

[Image: d9sokdt-12de98ac-f5e0-4d34-bb40-cc987cd9...7rHiO_oS4E]

Except the President didn't make his branch have ANY uniform. This isn't even a real thing.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/space-force-uniforms-concepts/
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/space-force-uniform-concepts-not-real/
Quote:...not something that the Space Force is considering adopting, said Maj. Nicholas Mercurio, a spokesman for the service.

“The uniform graphic being shared on social media is not an official U.S. Space Force uniform design concept,” Mercurio told Task & Purpose. “The Space Force service dress uniform is still in development.”

There was an unofficial concept art thrown up by someone on Reddit, it makes its rounds on the internet, and all of a sudden a grey and blue uniform gets slapped into a thread on here and the usual suspects are jumping on the Trump, Nazi, and Grey and Black Gestapo train.

This is all so goddamn absurd and reminds me why I don't like coming into P&R much anymore.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 08:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Smartest person I know, who works in a field where he had to deal with that part of the Air Force (before Space Force) told me that it was a good idea because the top ranks of the Air Force are almost exclusively former fighter pilots. So when it comes to priorities, what is theirs? Fighters and pilots. Not satellites and satellite security. Moving that section to it's own branch allows them to focus on their field without any kind of outside influence/needs of the Air Force and allows them to tackle issues quicker because it's their sole mission.

Same way that the Air Force broke off from the Army in 1947. We just are taking the Space Command and making them their own branch.

Then I saw Neil deGrasse Tyson do his little media tour at the time talking about how he suggested it nearly two decades ago and how he'd like the Space Force to add asteroid defense and cleaning space debris. Also talked about how a huge chunk of our economy and daily life is now tied into GPS functioning (GPS being a military asset was Space Command and now Space Force's responsibility).

Figure that if the smartest person I know (who also works in that field and would know) and the most famous Astrophysicist in the world both are telling me the same kind of thing, then I should probably put some weight into that.

Honestly, the idea of a Space Force wasn't as outrageous to me as it has been to others. I have my concerns over it, but I'm not outright opposed. That being said, there have been things where I just sit back and go, "really?" Like the Guardians thing.

https://www.defense.gov/Explore/News/Article/Article/2452910/space-force-personnel-to-be-called-guardians/

It all makes sense if it maintains the mission it was set up for. I have many reservations about military manned missions in space, though. And yes, I know most NASA astronauts have a military background, but their objectives through NASA are not military.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 10:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Honestly, the idea of a Space Force wasn't as outrageous to me as it has been to others. I have my concerns over it, but I'm not outright opposed. That being said, there have been things where I just sit back and go, "really?" Like the Guardians thing.

https://www.defense.gov/Explore/News/Article/Article/2452910/space-force-personnel-to-be-called-guardians/

It all makes sense if it maintains the mission it was set up for. I have many reservations about military manned missions in space, though. And yes, I know most NASA astronauts have a military background, but their objectives through NASA are not military.

Yeah, there's certainly some dumb things that I hope don't stick or get filed off once Trump is out of office. I am just saying the branch itself as a whole concept is fairly solid and will likely be for the best.

Anything the US does in space is at least tangentially military. NASA sent astronauts up into space during the Cold War to specifically photograph Soviet territory to watch for changes in troop deployment, missile bases, and the like. There's certainly research that happens up there that's not directly military related, but they are most certainly also putting up equipment for surveillance/satellite security/enemy satellite destruction/etc.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 10:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: So no gray, no black, no blue, no green. Super reasonable. You know who else wore green and green doublebreasted coats (since apparently that's also a trigger now) at that? The people who FOUGHT the Nazi.

Except the President didn't make his branch have ANY uniform. This isn't even a real thing.

There was an unofficial concept art thrown up by someone on Reddit, it makes its rounds on the internet, and all of a sudden a grey and blue uniform gets slapped into a thread on here and the usual suspects are jumping on the Trump, Nazi, and Grey and Black Gestapo train.

This is all so goddamn absurd and reminds me why I don't like coming into P&R much anymore.

Eh, not sure where you're getting no "every color." If the color was green I don't think anyone would care. Same with blue. But several wartime nazi uniforms used gray.

Which is all irrelevant with the snopes thing, good find. 
Reply/Quote
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=16894231]
Reply/Quote
How are countries going to decide who controls or "owns" the moon when we start building facilities there?  Or what about when we start harvesting minerals and/or other valuable resources from meteors and eventually Mars.

We are going to need a "space force" to fight the battle over control of these resources when other countries claim ownership.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 08:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: How are countries going to decide who controls or "owns" the moon when we start building facilities there?  Or what about when we start harvesting minerals and/or other valuable resources from meteors and eventually Mars.

We are going to need a "space force" to fight the battle over control of these resources when other countries claim ownership.

Don't speed in Space.  The Space Cops will pull you over by way of a Tractor Beam.   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 10:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Honestly, the idea of a Space Force wasn't as outrageous to me as it has been to others. I have my concerns over it, but I'm not outright opposed. That being said, there have been things where I just sit back and go, "really?" Like the Guardians thing.

I think the "idea" is worth investigating.  If it had been done when there wasn't a worldwide pandemic maybe we could get behind it more?  Whatever given how this administration "plans" I have to think that they people were working on it and Trump just said "GO! NOW!" because...business man.  

But the usual suspects will assume it is an "attack" on Trump when it's just a discussion about a picture floating around the internet and complain about people complaining...lol.

I'm glad to see someone looked it up though.  I had not seen anything yay or nay about it before that and then stopped caring because I just didn't like the uniforms.   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
[Image: steve_carell.jpg]

[Image: SF_104_Unit_02704R.jpg?quality=80&w=635]
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 10:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: So no gray, no black, no blue, no green. Super reasonable. You know who else wore green and green doublebreasted coats (since apparently that's also a trigger now) at that? The people who FOUGHT the Nazi.

You've perfectly encapsulated why this sub forum is dying.
Reply/Quote
There’s certainly legitimate criticism in the roll out. The idea of a Space Corps was proposed by a commission chaired by Rumsfeld with a reorganization within the Air Force to eventually having an independent branch. The House had a bipartisan bill to do that, but Trump and his Pentagon threw cold water on it saying more research had to be done. Soon after he then proposed a straight up new branch called Space Force...

I think it’s fair to say he wanted credit for the branch and that drove his opposition and then sudden support for the longterm plan happening immediately
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote