Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spain
May be my favorite pickup this year. Not only did he come in on basically day one and upgrade the play at guard, with no real practice, he was moved to RT Sunday and for most of the day took Watt out of the equation. I'm not sure how Buffalo let this guy walk, but I am sure glad we got him.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 09:57 AM)Sled21 Wrote: May be my favorite pickup this year. Not only did he come in on basically day one and upgrade the play at guard, with no real practice, he was moved to RT Sunday and for most of the day took Watt out of the equation. I'm not sure how Buffalo let this guy walk, but I am sure glad we got him.

He's def been a blessing, would love to get Jonah back at LT and Adenji back at RT and get Spain back to a guard position where I think he will flourish.  Def did well when plugged into RT last minute
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
He has played really really well.

If I remember correctly, when we signed him, an article showed his PFF run blocking and pass blocking stats and his pass blocking was significantly higher than his run blocking, so maybe that's why Buffalo dropped him?

I'm not sure.

But that works perfectly for us because Zac Taylor's ideal offense is probably 60-40 pass run, if not slightly more passing (65-35 maybe?).
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 10:04 AM)corpjet Wrote: He's def been a blessing, would love to get Jonah back at LT and Adenji back at RT and get Spain back to a guard position where I think he will flourish.  Def did well when plugged into RT last minute

I don't think Adeniji can play RT. That's the problem.
Reply/Quote
I think, if we let Takk do what he does best which is attack tge outside shoulders of defenders, he will be my favorite pick up. Cuz pass rush
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 09:57 AM)Sled21 Wrote:  for most of the day took Watt out of the equation.

WTF

Watt had 2 sacks and 4 QB hits.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 10:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: WTF

Hence I said "Most" of the day. With no RT left on the roster, I expected Watt to have an absolute field day. And one of those sacks was on Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 10:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Hence I said "Most" of the day. With no RT left on the roster, I expected Watt to have an absolute field day. And one of those sacks was on Burrow.

Don't forget fred thanks 1 sack and 3 QB hits is a MONSTER day, so this must have been a SUPER MONSTER day for Watt. 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 10:19 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Don't forget fred thanks 1 sack and 3 QB hits is a MONSTER day, so this must have been a SUPER MONSTER day for Watt. 

Watt had a good day out there... I will say one of his sacks came on a stunt where he beat Redmond though.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 10:19 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Don't forget fred thanks 1 sack and 3 QB hits is a MONSTER day, so this must have been a SUPER MONSTER day for Watt. 

Only guy who would try to crap on praise for the way Spain has come in and performed both at guard and at tackle. He's not a tackle. He played across from one of the leagues best pass rushers. He held him off most of the day. Of course Fred is going to piss on it.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 10:30 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Only guy who would try to crap on praise for the way Spain has come in and performed both at guard and at tackle. He's not a tackle. He played across from one of the leagues best pass rushers. He held him off most of the day. Of course Fred is going to piss on it.

Yep. He did fine for what he was asked to do. I really hope they reward him with a starting gaurd spot when everyone is healthy. I honestly think the best lineup we can trot out there includes him and XSF at the guard spots. 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 10:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: WTF

Folks would have to watch the game to understand why these 2 sacks were not entirely (if at all) on Spain.

The first sack Spain rode TJ out deep and wide, unfortunately Hopkins got pushed back into Burrow and Burrow was unable to step up and throw.

The second sack was an inside stunt. Spain took the defender that stunted outside but Remond failed to pick up TJ when he stunted to the inside.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Quinton-Spain-is-visiting-Cincy-this-week-likely-to-sign
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 09:57 AM)Sled21 Wrote: May be my favorite pickup this year. Not only did he come in on basically day one and upgrade the play at guard, with no real practice, he was moved to RT Sunday and for most of the day took Watt out of the equation. I'm not sure how Buffalo let this guy walk, but I am sure glad we got him.

Spain has been one of my favorites too.
As you said, the fact he came in basically no practice to learn the offense, and was able to perform adequately at LG.
Then, as you said, he played RT, which I don't believe he's ever played before?
He's not an absolute stud, but he's an upgrade over what the Bengals have been sending out there at at least 2 of the OL positions.
I hope the Bengals keep him beyond this year.
It would help reduce a need in the offseason.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Spain is 100x better than Redmond. Redmond only
Gets his named called when the yellow cloth comes out.
You never hear the color guy say " wow did you see
That punishing block at the 2nd level by Alex Redmond"
Reply/Quote

Dude is versatile and that is as tough of a matchup as you can get. Nice that we added one OL that can play.

With Jonah and him we might have a start. Redmond is still just a penalty machine and costs us games.

Jordan still sucks, Hopkins is just alright.
Reply/Quote
Spain and XSF should be the starting Guards it's that simple. Redmond and MJ should be riding the pine.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 09:29 PM)Joelist Wrote: Spain and XSF should be the starting Guards it's that simple. Redmond and MJ should be riding the pine.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 10:06 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't think Adeniji can play RT. That's the problem.

Based on what? 

He says he's comfortable playing anywhere but center. He practiced all week at RT and was prepared to play there.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 09:29 PM)Joelist Wrote: Spain and XSF should be the starting Guards it's that simple. Redmond and MJ should be riding the pine.

Possibly. I haven't seen anything from XSF yet though, so it's hard to say.
Reply/Quote