Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spandex Olympics Cancelled
Per the inter webs there will be no NFL Combine this year. While nothing is official, enough rumblings are coming out that we’re not going to get the usual event. Satellite events and video interviews will likely be used in lieu of a centralized event in Indianapolis. Teams will have to rely on satellite events and Pro Days to gain additional in person intel. Seems those teams with robust scouting departments will be better equipped to handle this...
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 07:54 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Per the inter webs there will be no NFL Combine this year.  While nothing is official, enough rumblings are coming out that we’re not going to get the usual event.   Satellite events and video interviews will likely be used in lieu of a centralized event in Indianapolis. Teams will have to rely on satellite events and Pro Days to gain additional in person intel.  Seems those teams with robust scouting departments will be better equipped to handle this...

this hurts opt-out players.. since there is much more tape to go by this year for those that played and entered the draft.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 08:08 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote:
this hurts opt-out players.
. since there is much more tape to go by this year for those that played and entered the draft.

Yup, especially since their conditioning will be a question mark as well.
Reply/Quote
Oh well, so much for this year's John Ross or DHB shooting up the draft boards, based on preparing like a track athlete for 2 months.. Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I bet they set up large organized workouts like sorts like pro days in Flordia, California, and Texas. There just isnt going to be the big Televised event this year but there will be workouts of some kind.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
First part of the official memo's interesting. Gues who represented the owners:

[Image: EsDFJDRXIAAsROf?format=jpg&name=medium]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
What about Eisens 40!!
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 09:04 PM)Synric Wrote: I bet they set up large organized workouts like sorts like pro days in Flordia, California, and Texas. There just isnt going to be the big Televised event this year but there will be workouts of some kind.

That's what i was thinking. Some sort of regional thing where they still do the same drills, only in much smaller groups and they can zoom all day long, no prob.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Please note that when we get info from Pro Days or potential smaller regional events, 40 times are likely to seem (much) faster than if the players ran it at the Combine in Indy because hand timing is less accurate. So if a guy runs in the low 4.4's at Pro Day for example, they likely would have run in the 4.5's at the Combine.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 10:38 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Please note that when we get info from Pro Days or potential smaller regional events, 40 times are likely to seem (much) faster than if the players ran it at the Combine in Indy because hand timing is less accurate. So if a guy runs in the low 4.4's at Pro Day for example, they likely would have run in the 4.5's at the Combine.

I think the NFL will likely provide laser timing equipment to the events that don't have it.  Teams will also want information like the 10 yard split that's tough to get from hand timing. A lot of the faster pro day times come down to players having extra time to prep and universities with gimmicked tracks, like the infamously fast WHAC track OSU uses for it's pro days.
Reply/Quote
The normal NFL Combine will not happen in covid 2021.

Not as much data can be collected on players as a normal year.

Add in The Bengals of fewest scouts in NFL, greatly depend on sending coaches to the Indy Combine that will not take place now.

Add in 2020 covid football season and some teams played little or not at all. Many top players have been seen very little since 2019.

Fans on here that think they know who to draft every round, must be throwing darts at names on a board, or related to players.

I see a Draft coming of too many question marks and unknows. This hurts a last place team like Bengals who are by history less free agent and more draft. Of few scouts they are poorly prepared in a regular draft, and this covid thing even worse.

The Bengals who have so much going against them of 30 years without a play-off win, and two straight last place seasons, could have used a good regular combine and draft. They will not get one. This will be picking a pig in a poke and hoping they get lucky. IT IS ALL MORE BAD NEWS FOR LAT PLACE BENGALS, this no regular Combine in covid. People like the phrase, " It's All Good ". In this case, " It's All Bad ".

Bengals need Blocking and Defense. Somehow they have to find it with almost no scouting of players this Draft. Lots O Luck. To those that say all teams are in the same boat. No they are not. Bengals are still in this NEW DAY complete rebuilding mode after firing Coach Lewis, and are trying to move out of last place in a Division where you have to play Steelers and Ravens twice a year which most NFL teams would hate, plus Browns now looking good. So I say this funky, messed up covid draft will hurt rebuilding New Day Bengals more than most teams.

Somehow, I hope Bengals get Lucky and get good draft picks, and it will take a lot of Luck. I feel for Zac Taylor trying to rebuild awful, awful Bengals in all the covid problems of no preseason, now no combine. The cards are stacked against this young head coach trying to turn around an awful team.

It would almost be tempting to do as Coach George Allen use to, and trade all picks for NFL players you know can play in NFL. Bengals would never do that, it goes against Paul Brown build by draft. So what do you do, go on 2019 or just draft SEC, ACC or Big 12 of 2020 ? No Regular Combine Creates A Huge Problem For Bengals Still In Complete Rebuilding Mode.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
The loss of combine workouts isn't a big deal for teams because they still get to see real workouts at the Pro Days.

The important part of the NFL Combine for the teams is the complete medical checks and prospect interviews and they are still doing the medicals. The on TV workouts are more for fans now.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Sad 
(03-07-2021, 07:52 AM)kevin Wrote: The normal NFL Combine will not happen in covid 2021.

Not as much data can be collected on players as a normal year.

Add in The Bengals of fewest scouts in NFL, greatly depend on sending coaches to the Indy Combine that will not take place now.

Add in 2020 covid football season and some teams played little or not at all. Many top players have been seen very little since 2019.

Fans on here that think they know who to draft every round, must be throwing darts at names on a board, or related to players.

I see a Draft coming of too many question marks and unknows. This hurts a last place team like Bengals who are by history less free agent and more draft. Of few scouts they are poorly prepared in a regular draft, and this covid thing even worse.

The Bengals who have so much going against them of 30 years without a play-off win, and two straight last place seasons, could have used a good regular combine and draft. They will not get one. This will be picking a pig in a poke and hoping they get lucky. IT IS ALL MORE BAD NEWS FOR LAT PLACE BENGALS, this no regular Combine in covid. People like the phrase, " It's All Good ". In this case, " It's All Bad ".

Bengals need Blocking and Defense. Somehow they have to find it with almost no scouting of players this Draft. Lots O Luck. To those that say all teams are in the same boat. No they are not. Bengals are still in this NEW DAY complete rebuilding mode after firing Coach Lewis, and are trying to move out of last place in a Division where you have to play Steelers and Ravens twice a year which most NFL teams would hate, plus Browns now looking good. So I say this funky, messed up covid draft will hurt rebuilding New Day Bengals more than most teams.

Somehow, I hope Bengals get Lucky and get good draft picks, and it will take a lot of Luck. I feel for Zac Taylor trying to rebuild awful, awful Bengals in all the covid problems of no preseason, now no combine. The cards are stacked against this young head coach trying to turn around an awful team.

It would almost be tempting to do as Coach George Allen use to, and trade all picks for NFL players you know can play in NFL. Bengals would never do that, it goes against Paul Brown build by draft. So what do you do, go on 2019 or just draft SEC, ACC or Big 12 of 2020 ? No Regular Combine Creates A Huge Problem For Bengals Still In Complete Rebuilding Mode.

You kind of touched on it. But you are missing the big picture here. Fans on here know who to draft every round. You said it, and I do. So let me make the picks?

No but really. With all the details and a full normal offseason where our front office gets to evaluate and measure and talk to every Tom dick and Harry and count the back hairs on guys at the combine and we still draft John Ross’, Ogbuehi’s, trade up for Finley’s etc.

I was all about trading our picks for future picks and players at first. But the more I thought about it... Every team misses. But how many only have one player in the HoF? Tobin ran this team into the ground getting full offseasons of evaluations where he got to pick his guys and do all his research.

This may be like when I am the perfect level of buzzed at the bar playing darts. I know the objective but I’m not very good at the game. I’ve been getting my ass kicked the whole time. But I just let it rip because I’m feeling good (we hit on a #1 overall pick QB). And I win a game hitting a bunch of my shots.
Reply/Quote