Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Speaker of the House Mike Johnson Bank Accounts
So what’s the deal with the new speaker of the house and his finances?

https://www.foxnews.com/media/claim-speaker-johnson-lives-paycheck-paycheck-makes-him-relatable-say-defenders

Either way I’m looking at it. I’m struggling to like it. Seems fishy for a grown ass man, who is a congressman, to have no assets.

And the oh he is just living paycheck to paycheck argument is even worse. Dude can’t even get his own families shit together. And now he is in charge of the nations budget???? Come on now.

And one of the first things he does is defund the IRS to offset the cost of aid to Israel in a way the impacts our ability to collect tax revenue and costs us even more than just giving the aid???

We being serious here?
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 08:08 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: So what’s the deal with the new speaker of the house and his finances?

https://www.foxnews.com/media/claim-speaker-johnson-lives-paycheck-paycheck-makes-him-relatable-say-defenders

Either way I’m looking at it. I’m struggling to like it. Seems fishy for a grown ass man, who is a congressman, to have no assets.

And the oh he is just living paycheck to paycheck argument is even worse. Dude can’t even get his own families shit together. And now he is in charge of the nations budget???? Come on now.

And one of the first things he does is defund the IRS to offset the cost of aid to Israel in a way the impacts our ability to collect tax revenue and costs us even more than just giving the aid???

We being serious here?

I know being a Biden and Menendez fan you accept all politicians are corrupt. But, Johnson is a man of God and does live pay check to check according to those who know them. He is not like Pelosi whose husband benefits from insider trading. He is not like AOC who her her boyfriend hundreds of thousands from her campaign. He is not like Bernie Sanders who continues to pay his wife's charity, a charity that has done nothing for anyone for years.

But, feel free to conduct an investigation. He is new to Congress and he is an HONEST MAN, something not normal among politicians from either side of the aisle.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 10:27 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know being a Biden and Menendez fan you accept all politicians are corrupt. But, Johnson is a man of God and does live pay check to check according to those who know them. He is not like Pelosi whose husband benefits from insider trading. He is not like AOC who her her boyfriend hundreds of thousands from her campaign. He is not like Bernie Sanders who continues to pay his wife's charity, a charity that has done nothing for anyone for years.

But, feel free to conduct an investigation. He is new to Congress and he is an HONEST MAN, something not normal among politicians from either side of the aisle.

So he pays for everything with cash?

And his wife runs her own "counseling" business and doesn't have a checking account?

They got a mortgage with no savings or checking?

There is blind loyalty to a party and there is you.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
One of my longest term friends doesn't have a bank account. He doesn't trust banks. He's not some weird conspiracy person either, he just doesn't trust the concept. I think there's a lot more to Johnson that is open to valid criticism than this.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 11:52 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: One of my longest term friends doesn't have a bank account.  He doesn't trust banks.  He's not some weird conspiracy person either, he just doesn't trust the concept.  I think there's a lot more to Johnson that is open to valid criticism than this.

Of course.

You'll be able to explain then.  Credit Union? Stuffed in a mattress?  Pays cash for everything?

Maybe bitcoin?

I know people who didn't trust banks...they grew up in the post-depression America. Some people don't like them but they still have a bank account.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 08:08 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Either way I’m looking at it. I’m struggling to like it. Seems fishy for a grown ass man, who is a congressman, to have no assets.

Seriously? I know the left is desperate to find something wrong with this guy, but trying to find fault in a politician who doesn't line his pockets by selling his votes to the highest bidder or getting rich on insider information in the stock market seems desperate. He doesn't even own stocks. He's a pretty conservative guy. Yet, since he doesn't cave to the dems like McCarthy and McConnell, he must be some kind of axe murderer.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 12:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: Of course.

You'll be able to explain then.  Credit Union? Stuffed in a mattress?  Pays cash for everything?

Maybe bitcoin?

I know people who didn't trust banks...they grew up in the post-depression America.  Some people don't like them but they still have a bank account.

I don't know for sure, probably a credit union (he has a mortgage through one) and keeping it at home.  He's phenomenal at saving money, unlike myself.  

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 10:27 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know being a Biden and Menendez fan you accept all politicians are corrupt. But, Johnson is a man of God and does live pay check to check according to those who know them. He is not like Pelosi whose husband benefits from insider trading. He is not like AOC who her her boyfriend hundreds of thousands from her campaign. He is not like Bernie Sanders who continues to pay his wife's charity, a charity that has done nothing for anyone for years.

Being a "man of God" is not a get out of jail free card.  It is far too often a cover story.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 11:29 AM)GMDino Wrote: So he pays for everything with cash?

And his wife runs her own "counseling" business and doesn't have a checking account?

They got a mortgage with no savings or checking?

There is blind loyalty to a party and there is you.

Please do your on research before making wild claims. There are minimum limits required to be forced to list bank accounts. Obviously, he has accounts, just not enough money nor assets needed to report them.

You do your credibility no credit when bashing others for bias while posting biased comments that are just flat out wrong.

Assets and Unearned Income.  “Unearned” income refers to income derived from property held for investment or the production of income, such as real estate, stocks, bonds, savings accounts, and retirement accounts.  Any asset held for such an investment purpose must be disclosed if it either was worth more than $1,000 at the close of the calendar year or it generated income of more than $200 during the year.35 Where the value of an item is difficult to determine, a good faith estimate of fair market value may be used.

The identity of the property, in addition to its category of value,36 must be specified.  Each company in which stock worth over $1,000 is held must be listed separately.  Except in limited circumstances, the filer must disclose the specific contents of any investment account, private retirement account (e.g., a 401(k) or IRA), or education savings account (i.e., a “529 plan”).  In other words, the EIGA requires disclosure of each asset held within such an account that meets the value or income tests described above.  Disclosure of real property should include a description sufficient to permit its identification (e.g., street address or plat and map location).

Interest-bearing savings accounts valued at more than $1,000 must be disclosed only if all such accounts total more than $5,000 in value.  Savings accounts include certificates of deposit, money market accounts, or any other form of deposit in a bank, savings and loan association, credit union, or similar financial institution.  Non-interest-bearing checking accounts, on the other hand, need not be disclosed since they produce no income.  Financial interests in United States government retirement programs (e.g., the Thrift Savings Plan) need not be reported. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 01:36 PM)pally Wrote: Being a "man of God" is not a get out of jail free card.  It is far too often a cover story.

Maybe you are right, some believe people who believe and trust in God are far right wing nut jobs.

Or maybe he did not meet the minimum requirements to file financial information.

You are correct, a string belief in God is not a get out of jail card. But it would be nice for not being attacked if you are the new speaker for his faith and lack of a huge bank account.

The left will do anything to assassinate the character of a GOP leader. It is sad. BTW, I predicted the media and forum attacks the day he was confirmed. It is like a broken record, liberals and liber media get together to belittle GOP leaders. As I said, it would start immediately and it did.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 02:20 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Maybe you are right, some believe people who believe and trust in God are far right wing nut jobs.

Or maybe he did not meet the minimum requirements to file financial information.

You are correct, a string belief in God is not a get out of jail card. But it would be nice for not being attacked if you are the new speaker for his faith and lack of a huge bank account.

The left will do anything to assassinate the character of a GOP leader. It is sad. BTW, I predicted the media and forum attacks the day he was confirmed. It is like a broken record, liberals and liber media get together to belittle GOP leaders. As I said, it would start immediately and it did.

and vice versa

Mike Johnson is a 51-year-old congressman.  He was a practicing lawyer until 2016.  His wife is a professional as well.  I don't care about his religious beliefs...just don't force them on me.  I am concerned though that a man who was relatively well compensated throughout his career and has a good-paying job today can't even show a retirement account as an asset yet is expected to make financial decisions for the entire country.  Maybe his poor money management is why he think kneecapping the revenue-collecting agency of this country is a good money-saving idea

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 11:52 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: One of my longest term friends doesn't have a bank account. He doesn't trust banks. He's not some weird conspiracy person either, he just doesn't trust the concept. I think there's a lot more to Johnson that is open to valid criticism than this.

From my understanding the whole financial disclosure rules are in part to identify high ranking politicians who could be targets for bribery and corruption and that type of thing. So that’s kind of the whole point, it’s supposed to be something an informed populace is aware of.

Has your friend been a lawyer since 1995? Has your friend earned over 1 million dollars in salary over the last 6 years?
Reply/Quote
It's a bit strange for a politician, but I lived next to a family and I know a few other people who live exclusively cash lives. I wouldn't say it's common, but it's not rare or unheard of. It's not inherently malicious, either. There is plenty to not like this guy for, but I don't think this is one.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 12:45 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Seriously? I know the left is desperate to find something wrong with this guy, but trying to find fault in a politician who doesn't line his pockets by selling his votes to the highest bidder or getting rich on insider information in the stock market seems desperate. He doesn't even own stocks. He's a pretty conservative guy. Yet, since he doesn't cave to the dems like McCarthy and McConnell, he must be some kind of axe murderer.

I’m not saying he is an axe murderer.

I’m asking is a guy who made over 1 million dollars over the last six years of his life, just from his congressional salary and was a lawyer for 20 years prior to that, is he really so terrible with his finances that he has no assets that meet the minimum requirement to report?

And if so, is that really the type of guy we want having massive influence on our countries finances?

Hell. Some jobs look at your credit history and take that in to consideration in hiring process.

If you were looking for an accountant/financial advisor, and had access to their personal financial situation, would you hire one who made over a million dollars over the prior six years and had nothing to show for it?
Reply/Quote
This guy is 3rd in line for the presidency and his finances are under less scrutiny than people who apply for mop and bucket jobs at the local VA. What a country.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 04:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It's a bit strange for a politician, but I lived next to a family and I know a few other people who live exclusively cash lives. I wouldn't say it's common, but it's not rare or unheard of. It's not inherently malicious, either. There is plenty to not like this guy for, but I don't think this is one.

A lot of people don't trust others with their money. 

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 05:28 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: A lot of people don't trust others with their money. 

True, but a lot of people don't trust people who are gainfully employed but don't have bank accounts.  This all seems pretty weird.  Are we assuming this guy just flat out has no money, or that he keeps 30+ years of money he's earned hidden in his house or that he has some secret Swiss bank account or what?

How is there any answer to this that isn't really weird?  Right wrong, who cares, but this is just amusingly odd.  I've never seen anyone with this guy's resume say this...not having a bank account is usually reserved for deadbeat dads who appear on Judge Judy and "work in construction."

When this guy gets paid for being the speaker of the house does he just take his paycheck to Wal Mart and get it cashed and walk out the door with it?
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 05:28 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: A lot of people don't trust others with their money. 

With normal bank accounts FDIC insurance covers $250,000.

Way better than stashing it in a Louisiana swamp.
Reply/Quote
A few years ago my MIL heard somewhere that all the banks were going to collapse and for Christmas she bought a safe for both of her daughters. My wife told me why her mom got us the thing and I just said "Please tell me your mom isn't telling people that you and I emptied our bank accounts and have all of our money a safe in our house."
Reply/Quote
Silicon Valley was the nation's 16th largest bank and it collapsed this year. This was not a good year to trust regional banks. There is still ,sort of, a question about regional banks because they are exposed to work space in large cities, much of which isn't filled.
Reply/Quote