Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
"Special" Teams
I'm not calling for Simmons's head but where are our fake punts, punt/kick return TD's, blocked kicks? When is the last time we've had one? Is he overrated? His units have been solid (safe), but far from special.

Evans needs to get a shot. Not sure what he's done to get in the dog house.

All 3 phases need to contribute to maintain success. Special teams has gotten a pass for a couple years now. McPherson aside, we are going to need more explosion from the unit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Oh, are "we"? Lol.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm not calling for Simmons's head but where are our fake punts, punt/kick return TD's, blocked kicks? When is the last time we've had one? Is he overrated? His units have been solid (safe), but far from special.

All 3 phases need to contribute to maintain success. Special teams has gotten a pass for a couple years now. McPherson aside, we are going to need more explosion from the unit.

you guys are really reaching to complain about anything

they didnt have a long snapper for part of the steelers game. They have a brand new one thats played 1 game
Reply/Quote
I'm talking about the last 8 years..... When was the last kick/punt return? Blocked punt/field goal? Fake punt. When Pacman played?

You are really reaching to ignore my very legit point about the need for all three phases to come together.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm talking about the last 8 years..... When was the last kick/punt return? Blocked punt/field goal? Fake punt.

You are really reaching to ignore my point.

Yep.  The one thing that's been missing are the fake punts and blocked FGs.  

In all honesty this thread has to be the worst of the last two weeks, and that's saying something.
Reply/Quote
Our last fake punt came from who? The Rev (Cedric)

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:47 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Yep.  The one thing that's been missing are the fake punts and blocked FGs.  

In all honesty this thread has to be the worst of the last two weeks, and that's saying something.

Ok I'll make one about the line play or playcalling since that's all we can talk about.....

Either way, Special teams play can win games rather you think it's not worthy to discuss or not. We have the kicking. But are missing the big plays that flip field position. The creativity and explosive plays which lead to momentum changes.

It would certainly help a struggling offense.

Reply/Quote
The NFL has kind of made special teams less of an impact with rule changes.
Reply/Quote
I'm gonna agree I think this is reaching. We have a lot to complain about without worrying about special teams. We've had good returners and Evans just hasn't had a shot because there hasn't been a lot of kickoffs and he hasn't got a chance for a return. Also I remember hearing someone stood on table and called for McPherson. I'd assume that was Simmons.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The NFL has kind of made special teams less of an impact with rule changes.

/thread

The days of Devin Hester and Josh Cribbs are long gone.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm not calling for Simmons's head but where are our fake punts, punt/kick return TD's, blocked kicks? When is the last time we've had one? Is he overrated? His units have been solid (safe), but far from special.

Evans is returning kicks but hard to return when going in endczone.. 
Reply/Quote
I've already seen a number of kick returns, blocked punts, and even fakes punts already in these 2 weeks.... Not sure I agree that none of this is possible anymore with rule changes. That's a lazy take.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:56 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: We've had good returners.

Who have we had consistently as a return threat. Fair catch Erickson?  

Reply/Quote
This thread is "Special"....
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 04:29 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: /thread

The days of Devin Hester and Josh Cribbs are long gone.

Thread reopened as we've already seen a number of returns this season..... 

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 09:10 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This thread is "Special"....

When is the last fake or blocked punt we've had? Taking shots at me doesn't change or answer this. It highlights the problem that no one can answer and all you have is shots.. 

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 09:12 AM)jj22 Wrote: When is the last fake or blocked punt we've had? Taking shots at me doesn't change or answer this. It highlights the problem that no one can answer and all you have is shots.. 

And one of the best Special Teams coaches in the league, who you graciously are not calling for to be canned. Special.
Reply/Quote
Outside of McPherson our "Special" teams haven't been so special, and it's ok to highlight this.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 09:14 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And one of the best Special Teams coaches in the league, who you graciously are not calling for to be canned. Special.

Why is he one of the best special teams coaches in the league? You can't name the last time we've seen anything explosive come from his units, yet he's one of the best? He's the longest tenured ST coach in the league. Yes. But so was Alexander, and Bratkowski, and you see how their coaching careers fizzled after leaving the Bengals.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:47 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Yep.  The one thing that's been missing are the fake punts and blocked FGs.  

A fake punt on 4th and 5 to keep the ball and keep marching towards a TD in overtime when you have a backup long snapper in who has never snapped in game situations and already caused a missed a extra point would have been great coaching.  

Reply/Quote