Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Special teams
Wasn't anything special in first game fumbled punt return not much in return game missed field goal plus a couple penalties.Simmons has been a good coach in the past hopefully it wasn't a mistake keeping someone from the old regime. Huber was decent and our coverage was solid in his defense
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 09:38 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Wasn't anything special in first game fumbled punt return not much in return game missed field goal plus a couple penalties.Simmons has been a good coach in the past hopefully it wasn't a mistake keeping someone from the old regime.  Huber was decent and our coverage was solid in his defense

well I mean I doubt he told Ericson to fumble the ball.... outside of that special teams was pretty solid on sunday.    not sure how much simmons can do about randy missing a field goal either.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 09:52 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: well I mean I doubt he told Ericson to fumble the ball.... outside of that special teams was pretty solid on aunday.    not sure how much simmons can do about randy missing a field goal either.

Every year we seem to lead the league in those block in the back penalties though. 
Reply/Quote
One thing you'll probably never hear from any team is "This season we're only going to draft the best special teams players in the first seven draft picks. We don't need to worry about the rest of the team." 
I sometimes wonder how any team would fare if that were their plan...if both defense and offense were so solid they only had to concentrate on special teams.. That would be a good problem to have, huh?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 09:52 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: well I mean I doubt he told Ericson to fumble the ball.... outside of that special teams was pretty solid on sunday.    not sure how much simmons can do about randy missing a field goal either.

Simmons made decision to put Erickson back to return punts versus Phillips. Simmons has a say in hiring our kicker each year.

You can't give Simmons credit for the good things and then ignore the bad. Yes, players have to execute so also on them. But let's see if Simmons continues to allow Erickson to field punts this week. He had a very bad week in Seattle.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 10:21 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Simmons made decision to put Erickson back turn punts versus Phillips. 

But let's see if Simmons continues to allow Erickson to field punts this week. 

Would you replace Erickson with Phillips if you were Simmons?
Reply/Quote
I’m not worried about Darrin Simmons coaching up the special teams. He will.

What I AM worried about is the running game or lack thereof.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 10:40 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m not worried about Darrin Simmons coaching up the special teams.  He will.

Expect more losses if we can't do anything about the lack of the running game. They (opponents) won't even have to stack the line.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 10:43 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Expect more losses if we can't do anything about the lack of the running game. They won't even have to stack the line.

I don't think you understand.  The reason they stopped the run game is because they stacked the line against it.  That is why we were able to get over 400 passing yards.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 10:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think you understand.  The reason they stopped the run game is because they stacked the line against it.  That is why we were able to get over 400 passing yards.

3 pts in the 2nd half?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 10:49 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: 3 pts in the 2nd half?

Is it too soon to begin the discussion on 2nd half adjustments?   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 10:49 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: 3 pts in the 2nd half?

Because of two fumbles and a missed FG.  

Overall we ran 40 plays for 183 yards and 10 first downs in the second half controlling the ball for 19:14.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 10:38 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Would you replace Erickson with Phillips if you were Simmons?

Hard to say as i don't watch them practice. Phillips had some issues in preseason with ball security, Erickson had them in game one and I think he has a few fumbles in past, but not certain.

I would probably have them both practice this week, then make a call after I observed them in practice.

I only made the comment about Simmons because he is in power, he does make the decisions on who sees playing time and who does what. I think Simmons is one of the better ST coaches in the league, but that does not make him perfect.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 11:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Because of two fumbles and a missed FG.  

Overall we ran 40 plays for 183 yards and 10 first downs in the second half controlling the ball for 19:14.

Are you forgetting the 'other moral victory ' last night? Sunny Gray had a no hitter going into the 7th inning.. They lost. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 10:40 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m not worried about Darrin Simmons coaching up the special teams.  He will.

The 49ers run defense is suspect allowing a TB run game over 100 yards last week, a defense that only played the run game for 3+ quarters as SF built the 14 point lead making TB pass oriented.

Let's hope we see some better production.

But, I believe Carroll stacked the box to stop the run and why we were able to get over 400 yards passing. So, what will SF do this week? Will they stop the run at all costs or more in the middle run versus pass?

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 11:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Because of two fumbles and a missed FG.  

I know we will never know, but rain cost us a AD fumble (ball slipped out of his hand) and I think a huge play to Boyd when he tripped trying on wet turf trying to make an adjustment, an adjustment he makes on dry turf 90% of the time.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 11:10 AM)grampahol Wrote: Are you forgetting the 'other moral victory ' last night? Sunny Gray had a no hitter going into the 7th inning.. They lost. 

This is not about "moral victories".  This is about WHY we only got 3 points in the second half.  The Seahawks did not shut down our offense.  Instead crucial mistakes on just a few plays kept us from scoring more than 3 points.  A couple of fumbles and a missed FG are not a part of "the running game".
Reply/Quote
NFL games are a razor thing margin whoever you face in the NFL. Taylor and Anarumo have had 1 game I like what I'm seeing Id rate Simmons as a 6.5 on 10 scale during his tenure here developing Talent and that rating is based on Huber alone. Pac man was an elite returner before he got here. Erickson never struck me as pro bowl level.
Reply/Quote
One word.

Pharoh Cooper.

Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 10:02 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Every year we seem to lead the league in those block in the back penalties though. 

is that something you looked up or just spouting?
Reply/Quote