Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spider-Man Homecoming - Spoilers and Opinions
Hey, so I love Spider-Man. I actively collect a few on-going comic titles and have an embarrassing robust collectibles collections in my man cave. I've always liked the movies, even with the imperfections each franchise had.

The original (first two, not that awful third one) was a great movie for the time period that it came out. Pre MCU, a stand alone Spider-Man story. It followed the typical super hero movie formula. Toby was a good goofy, nerdy Peter. It stayed true to a college aged Peter Parker from the early years of the comics. The supporting cast, for the most part, was on point.

The reboot franchise, with Andrew Garfield, brought a different feel. He actually looked younger, but he still wasn't authentically a teen. He was more true to the goofball personality that Spider-Man is really known for. He was also way too cool and suave to be Spider-Man and never truly hit the insecure/flawed side of Spidey.

Homecoming brings us a different Spider-Man. He's 15 and he feels like he's in high school. He's not popular, he likes building lego death stars with his dorky best friend, and he wants to do more. Placed within the MCU, he sees super heroes established around him, much like Spidey saw with the Fantastic Four and others in those first issues. He wants that life but he's stuck in high school. He doesn't truly have someone there to mentor him and he makes mistakes. Forgoing hanging with the girl he likes or taking her to the dance so that he can save the day felt real. Unlike the other two, he really didn't fight, he just shot webs at people, which seemed real. He's got Spidey-Sense and he's super strong, but he's not some trained fighter.

I could have done without the crazy suit with AI, but I look forward to seeing the next few installments. They set up for the Scorpion and, if you didn't catch it, Donald Glover played a character with the same name as the Prowler, uncle of Miles Morales ("I have a nephew who lives in that neighborhood" he says).
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2017, 07:58 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Hey, so I love Spider-Man. I actively collect a few on-going comic titles and have an embarrassing robust collectibles collections in my man cave. I've always liked the movies, even with the imperfections each franchise had.

The original (first two, not that awful third one) was a great movie for the time period that it came out. Pre MCU, a stand alone Spider-Man story. It followed the typical super hero movie formula. Toby was a good goofy, nerdy Peter. It stayed true to a college aged Peter Parker from the early years of the comics. The supporting cast, for the most part, was on point.

The reboot franchise, with Andrew Garfield, brought a different feel. He actually looked younger, but he still wasn't authentically a teen. He was more true to the goofball personality that Spider-Man is really known for. He was also way too cool and suave to be Spider-Man and never truly hit the insecure/flawed side of Spidey.

Homecoming brings us a different Spider-Man. He's 15 and he feels like he's in high school. He's not popular, he likes building lego death stars with his dorky best friend, and he wants to do more. Placed within the MCU, he sees super heroes established around him, much like Spidey saw with the Fantastic Four and others in those first issues. He wants that life but he's stuck in high school. He doesn't truly have someone there to mentor him and he makes mistakes. Forgoing hanging with the girl he likes or taking her to the dance so that he can save the day felt real. Unlike the other two, he really didn't fight, he just shot webs at people, which seemed real. He's got Spidey-Sense and he's super strong, but he's not some trained fighter.

I could have done without the crazy suit with AI, but I look forward to seeing the next few installments. They set up for the Scorpion and, if you didn't catch it, Donald Glover played a character with the same name as the Prowler, uncle of Miles Morales ("I have a nephew who lives in that neighborhood" he says).

Yeah, Miles Morales!

Oh, and Jennifer Connelly as Karen the AI, "Instant-kill mode activated."
Reply/Quote
I was starting to wonder where this thread was. More minorish spoilers

After going back and looking at Maguire and Garfield in the role, it's amazing that people (including myself, to be fair) were ever sold on them being in high school for their movies. I'm a subscriber to the belief that Maguire was an excellent Peter Parker, while Garfield was a superb Spider-Man.

While I don't personally feel that Holland nails, per se, either of the two characters like RDJ fits Iron Man to a T, he perfectly plays the overall image of a young kid trying to cope with his new powers and the "coming of age" story, as well as the duality of Peter Parker/Spider-Man. The moment that he left under the rubble was great, the fear of a 15 year old in that situation felt real genuine.

One thing that I think the film got completely right was foregoing the origin story. This is an area that I feel Batman VS Superman dropped the ball. If you bleed red you know that Wayne's parents were shot dead. You know about Uncle Ben being killed and the whole "great power, great responsibility" shtick.

One of the greatest things about the film was how genuinely Spider-Man the film felt, while still very different from what we've already seen. We've already seen the stereotypical Aryan jock Flash Thomspon. We've already seen Spider-Man swoon over the Mary Janes and Gwen Stacys. We saw the spider-sense thrown in our faces with fancy slow motion camera work. This film contains all of that, presented in a different light that feels refreshing for a franchise that has already had 5 movies in the past 15 years.

Oh, and Keaton played what is probably the most convincing villain since Loki. Thanos will have to be a lot better, but considering how shallow and underdeveloped most villains have been in the MCU, at least it's a step in the right direction.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2017, 11:17 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I'm a subscriber to the belief that Maguire was an excellent Peter Parker, while Garfield was a superb Spider-Man.

Agreed

Quote:While I don't personally feel that Holland nails, per se, either of the two characters like RDJ fits Iron Man to a T, he perfectly plays the overall image of a young kid trying to cope with his new powers and the "coming of age" story, as well as the duality of Peter Parker/Spider-Man. The moment that he left under the rubble was great, the fear of a 15 year old in that situation felt real genuine. 

I think it's a good balance and him breaking down and crying was perfect.

Quote:One of the greatest things about the film was how genuinely Spider-Man the film felt, while still very different from what we've already seen. We've already seen the stereotypical Aryan jock Flash Thomspon. We've already seen Spider-Man swoon over the Mary Janes and Gwen Stacys. We saw the spider-sense thrown in our faces with fancy slow motion camera work. This film contains all of that, presented in a different light that feels refreshing for a franchise that has already had 5 movies in the past 15 years. 

That was missing from the Garfield movies, the sense of not belonging at school. The Maguire movies glossed over that, likely because he was too damn old to be in high school. In this one, it's genuine. There's no jock shoving him into a locker, it's a guy calling him "Penis Parker" and having everyone at the party chant it. 

Quote:Oh, and Keaton played what is probably the most convincing villain since Loki. Thanos will have to be a lot better, but considering how shallow and underdeveloped most villains have been in the MCU, at least it's a step in the right direction.

Absolutely. I'm not sure if it's Tom Hiddleston, the fact that he's present in multiple movies so you need to develop him, or both, but Loki, prior to the Vulture, was the only villain who it felt like they really developed. Loved Keaton in this role. 

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2017, 11:08 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Yeah, Miles Morales!

Oh, and Jennifer Connelly as Karen the AI, "Instant-kill mode activated."

married to Paul Bettany, aka the Vision and JARVIS.

Reply/Quote
didn't like the amazing spider mans at all.... don't understand the constant needs for reboots of this franchise... Lost interest long ago.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 11:13 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: didn't like the amazing spider mans at all....  don't understand the constant needs for reboots of this franchise...  Lost interest long ago.

Very ironic given your username.

But does speak to the current problem of Hollywood constantly looking for the next big franchise, but that might be for another thread.
Reply/Quote
Peter Parker is a Brit. Eff that.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 12:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Peter Parker is a Brit.  Eff that.

Don't google Andrew Garfield's nationality...

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2017, 08:57 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Don't google Andrew Garfield's nationality...

Somehow I knew he was British.  I never saw the Spider Mans he was in, but I remember watching Hacksaw Ridge and telling my wife he was a Brit.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 12:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Peter Parker is a Brit. Eff that.

So is Superman.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2017, 11:51 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: So is Superman.

That one I knew because he was on The Tudors.

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2017, 12:01 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That one I knew because he was on The Tudors.

And don't forget the last Batman was British, too. Now we just need a British Captain America.
Reply/Quote
 I am not the biggest reader of comic books (I want to get into them I do but there are so many universes in the comics that it is hard to no where to start) but I love the  movies particularly in the MCU.
It was a great movie for what it is a comic book movie if your expecting an Oscar like movie this isn't it.
I like how Iron man didn't take over the movie but was an effective in the supporting cast, I liked how all the teenager cast felt like teens but were not caught  in the typical teenage agsnt, the Captain America videos were hilarious, Aunt Mae was a cool character, and Vulture was a good bad guy who was not hateable but you new still was a bad guy.
Peter was a nerd but he didn't feel like an outcast in school which was nice.  as Spiderman he felt( about to use a lame sports analogy) like a top flight rookie but a player that still needs to develop to become a top superstar. It was cool to see that emphasized in the movie.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2017, 01:12 AM)J24 Wrote:  I am not the biggest reader of comic books (I want to get into them I do but there are so many universes in the comics that it is hard to no where to start) but I love the  movies particularly in the MCU.
It was a great movie for what it is a comic book movie if your expecting an Oscar like movie this isn't it.
I like how Iron man didn't take over the movie but was an effective in the supporting cast, I liked how all the teenager cast felt like teens but were not caught  in the typical teenage agsnt, the Captain America videos were hilarious, Aunt Mae was a cool character, and Vulture was a good bad guy who was not hateable but you new still was a bad guy.
Peter was a nerd but he didn't feel like an outcast in school which was nice.  as Spiderman he felt( about to use a lame sports analogy) like a top flight rookie but a player that still needs to develop to become a top superstar. It was cool to see that emphasized in the movie.

Fortunately for you, Marvel destroyed their two universes and made them merge about two years ago. I can give you some recommendations based on who your favorite characters/groups are. 

Reply/Quote
First Spider-Man movie I've really, really enjoyed.

Toby McGuires first one was ok, second meh and the third was horrible. Garfields movies were alright but he looked about 30 and, as mentioned, was way too cool. This one actually felt like Spider-Man.

My only complaint was the suit. It was distracting, although the Karen part was funny. But one thing they did so right was no origin story. They summed it up in a couple words.

That's been my biggest complaint with all the reboots (Spider-Man, batsman, super man). We don't need an origin story every time you change actors.

Spoiler below in a question:

Probably just a coincidence but harry Osborne (the green goblin) had a wife named Liz.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2017, 09:47 PM)Benton Wrote: First Spider-Man movie I've really, really enjoyed.

Toby McGuires first one was ok, second meh and the third was horrible. Garfields movies were alright but he looked about 30 and, as mentioned, was way too cool. This one actually felt like Spider-Man.

My only complaint was the suit. It was distracting, although the Karen part was funny. But one thing they did so right was no origin story. They summed it up in a couple words.

That's been my biggest complaint with all the reboots (Spider-Man, batsman, super man). We don't need an origin story every time you change actors.

Spoiler below in a question:

Probably just a coincidence but harry Osborne (the green goblin) had a wife named Liz.

In the comics she is Liz Allen, girlfriend of Flash and an initial love interest of Peter. It's the same Liz that marries Harry. We briefly saw Betty Brandt as one of the school news anchors. In the comics, she is Jameson's secretary at the Bugle (played by Elizabeth Banks in the first trilogy) and dates Peter. After they break up, she marries Ned (who is another employee at the Bugle, not a high school friend). He eventually becomes one of the Hobgoblins. MJ didn't go to school with Peter, she was his next door neighbor's niece who Aunt May kept trying to set him up with.

Harry and Gwen are the two biggest ones missing from this social circle, but they don't pop up until college. 

Reply/Quote
I ended up going with my daughter. I enjoyed it. Now I like my superheroes as stand alones, but still it was enjoyable, and good for quite a few laughs. Not used to the pathetic skinny Spider Man look, but that also made it kind of fun.

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2017, 11:12 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: In the comics she is Liz Allen, girlfriend of Flash and an initial love interest of Peter. It's the same Liz that marries Harry. We briefly saw Betty Brandt as one of the school news anchors. In the comics, she is Jameson's secretary at the Bugle (played by Elizabeth Banks in the first trilogy) and dates Peter. After they break up, she marries Ned (who is another employee at the Bugle, not a high school friend). He eventually becomes one of the Hobgoblins. MJ didn't go to school with Peter, she was his next door neighbor's niece who Aunt May kept trying to set him up with.

Harry and Gwen are the two biggest ones missing from this social circle, but they don't pop up until college. 

ThumbsUp  Thanks

I was more of a Spiderman fan during the McFarlane years so a lot of the earlier years names gets foggy sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2017, 07:58 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Hey, so I love Spider-Man. I actively collect a few on-going comic titles and have an embarrassing robust collectibles collections in my man cave. I've always liked the movies, even with the imperfections each franchise had.

Tobey McGuire was a terrible Peter Parker, but the movies were at least decent (except for the 3rd, like you mentioned).

Andrew Garfield was a pretty good Peter Parker, but the movies were absolutely terrible.

Tom Holland is a phenomenal Peter Parker, and the movie was pretty good (though I don't think I loved it as much as most people).
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote