Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spin or No Spin
(03-06-2018, 05:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Injuries aside, a quick read of Billings' draft profile showed holes in his game.  Without looking to refresh my memory, I think lack of lateral quickness was the big knock.  Now, I still think that if works hard and develops well, he can be a reliable average to slightly above starter for many years.

However Vea just seems to have a great deal of athleticism and explosiveness to him.  Think that I read that he grew up playing Rugby, and you know those guys can run like Soccer players.  So, I'm guessing that his gas tank is built to last.  Not to mention that he's got that Samoan toughness about him.

Height was the main knock on Billings, he is just short but the low man wins anyways. This and he was a little light to be a NT.

Billings chased down WR's and fast RB's from behind in college. I never found lateral quickness to be a knock on him, actually
more of a strength but this was obviously before the ACL injury. These injuries usually take atleast a year and a half to come
back from as we saw with Geno when the same thing happened to him.

Vea reminds me of a more explosive Haloti Ngata, he is an animal out there. Maybe not as strong as Billings but he is definately
more explosive and athletic as you say. I like that he grew up playing Rugby, those guys are tough sumbitches.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 04:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They have plenty of pass rushers, they just added Willis and Lawson last season. 

And Chris Smith....
Reply/Quote
And MJ (smh) since you know they won't cut him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 04:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They have plenty of pass rushers, they just added Willis and Lawson last season.  The problem was rushing yards allowed.  This defense got their asses worn out, by not stopping the run and forcing teams into passing situation.

While ultimately I feel like OL is the greatest need, I would not be upset in the least bit if they went NT in the 1st round.

Do they? Willis only had one sack , Chris Smith is a free agent, and MJ is old. Also who is our back up 3t and what happens if Geno gets hurt or decides to leave next off season who do we have on our roster right now that can fill his role?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 07:52 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Do they? Willis only had one sack , Chris Smith is a free agent, and MJ is old. Also who is our back up 3t and what happens if Geno gets hurt or decides to leave next off season who do we have on our roster right now that can fill his role?

Still think Willis will make great strides this year and we have Lawson who led all rookies in sacks last year.

Dunlap is still relatively young and we should give him and Geno both an extension. Not saying we are great here but it could
be if these young guys namely Willis grow into what they should. Bring back Chris Smith.

Da'Ron Payne DT Bama could be a thought somewhere but in the end our problem last season was stopping the run, not
rushing the passer...
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 07:52 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Do they? Willis only had one sack , Chris Smith is a free agent, and MJ is old. Also who is our back up 3t and what happens if Geno gets hurt or decides to leave next off season who do we have on our roster right now that can fill his role?

Way to conveniently leave Lawson out of your list..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 11:58 AM)jj22 Wrote: Hobs wrote..

The knock on Vea is that he won’t give you much of a pass rush but the Bengals don’t need it with first-ballot Hall-of-Famer Geno Atkins[Image: icon-article-link.gif] next to him. If the Bengals don’t have a shot at Vea, they should have a chance at other run stuffers later. They could use some height and ballast in there and prospects like 6-3, 291-pound Taven Bryan of Florida, 6-2, 335-pound Tim Settle of Virginia Tech, and 6-4, 288-pound Da’Shawn Hand of Alabama may be answers in the first 100.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Big-haul/e9ee6780-7d6e-4991-a3e7-ebe1d6a3bfb2

Is Geno shoe in Hall-of-Famer? Or a first ballot Hall-of-Famer?

I'm not sold. But not because of anything Geno does wrong, but he doesn't get that kind of respect. He actually hasn't gotten much respect since Aaron Donald booted him from everyone's top 3T list years ago.

I think he's good. But not sure he gets that kind of love (outside of Cinci) after his first 3 years in the league.

Talent-wise, he is there, but he could benefit from a Super Bowl run where he is a large reason why they win.  He was invisible in many of his playoff games.  

If he had the kind of post-season run that Von Miller did a few years back, it would be a shoe-in.  Basically, get really hot in the postseason.  So, in other words, not very likely.   Sick
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 06:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Height was the main knock on Billings, he is just short but the low man wins anyways. This and he was a little light to be a NT.

Billings chased down WR's and fast RB's from behind in college. I never found lateral quickness to be a knock on him, actually
more of a strength but this was obviously before the ACL injury. These injuries usually take atleast a year and a half to come
back from as we saw with Geno when the same thing happened to him.

Vea reminds me of a more explosive Haloti Ngata, he is an animal out there. Maybe not as strong as Billings but he is definately
more explosive and athletic as you say. I like that he grew up playing Rugby, those guys are tough sumbitches.

Dead on. 

Billings would be awesome in a pass-rushing rotation, IMHO.  I would love to see Vea and think he would be a great addition to the starting front four.  He isn't without flaws, but in a 4-3 defense, he would sure help plug the middle and would help free-up the pass rushers. 
Reply/Quote
My thoughts

-Would not mind at all if we used our first pick on a DT. It is one of the thinnest positions on our roster and we struggled against the run last year.

-Geno is having a Hall of Fame career but no where near "first ballot"

-Billings was way over hyped by a lot of people here, but I am hoping that he improves this season due to havinng another year to recover from his injury. Even Geno was not the same his first year back.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 06:09 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And Chris Smith....

We might be counting our chickens before they hatch...

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9673/chris-smith

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 09:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Dead on. 

Billings would be awesome in a pass-rushing rotation, IMHO.  I would love to see Vea and think he would be a great addition to the starting front four.  He isn't without flaws, but in a 4-3 defense, he would sure help plug the middle and would help free-up the pass rushers. 

Yeah, Billings should really improve this year. He was a good pass rusher at Baylor, not a lot of moves but he could get to the
passer, much better than Peko ever could. Vea might be out of the picture if we sign Chris Baker though dang it. I wanted Vea,
but Baker is a proven run stopper and was very disruptive in 2015-2016 for the Redskins (9.5 sacks).

As Shake said in the Chris Baker thread, a Nick Fairley type.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 05:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Injuries aside, a quick read of Billings' draft profile showed holes in his game.  Without looking to refresh my memory, I think lack of lateral quickness was the big knock.  Now, I still think that if works hard and develops well, he can be a reliable average to slightly above starter for many years.

However Vea just seems to have a great deal of athleticism and explosiveness to him.  Think that I read that he grew up playing Rugby, and you know those guys can run like Soccer players.  So, I'm guessing that his gas tank is built to last.  Not to mention that he's got that Samoan toughness about him.

I'm all just for having someone who can stop the run and collapse the pocket.  Billings did not look good last year at all.  He missed his gaps and got swept out of the way consistently.  I was highly disappointed.

I have been hearing that while Vea's talent is off the charts, he looks inconsistent in his performance - looking less than impressive on many downs, then looking like the awesome talent he is.

I'd rather get a guy like Da'Ron Payne (if in the top two rounds) or Nnandi in the 2nd or 3rd.   We definitely need to be able to stop the run, and we clearly could not do that last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 04:08 PM)3wt Wrote: I'm all just for having someone who can stop the run and collapse the pocket.  Billings did not look good last year at all.  He missed his gaps and got swept out of the way consistently.  I was highly disappointed.

I have been hearing that while Vea's talent is off the charts, he looks inconsistent in his performance - looking less than impressive on many downs, then looking like the awesome talent he is.

I'd rather get a guy like Da'Ron Payne (if in the top two rounds) or Nnandi in the 2nd or 3rd.   We definitely need to be able to stop the run, and we clearly could not do that last year.

I like Da'Ron but he will need to gain a lot of weight. He is only like 290 pounds, he is more of a 3 tech than a run stopping NT.

Don't know anything about Nnandi?
Reply/Quote
Da'Ron used to be around 350. He lost a lot of weight, but can probably get to the weight they need.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 05:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: Da'Ron used to be around 350. He lost a lot of weight, but can probably get to the weight they need.

Wow, that is some major weight fluctuation, damn! Shocked

Guess you are right, did not know that. All for Da'Ron Payne or Vita Vea. Cannot have enough good Lineman on either side
and stopping the run was a huge problem for us last season. Don't like getting ran on, it is the worst. Force teams to beat
you through the air.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 05:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like Da'Ron but he will need to gain a lot of weight. He is only like 290 pounds, he is more of a 3 tech than a run stopping NT.

Don't know anything about Nnandi?

He's likely at the weight the Bama' staff told him to be at.

(03-07-2018, 05:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: Da'Ron used to be around 350. He lost a lot of weight, but can probably get to the weight they need.

Sounds a little like Warren Sapp.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 03:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Billings should really improve this year. He was a good pass rusher at Baylor, not a lot of moves but he could get to the
passer, much better than Peko ever could. Vea might be out of the picture if we sign Chris Baker though dang it. I wanted Vea,
but Baker is a proven run stopper and was very disruptive in 2015-2016 for the Redskins (9.5 sacks).

As Shake said in the Chris Baker thread, a Nick Fairley type.

Vea is a transcendent talent, though.  If the LB they covet (and I am not sure if he would be ranked above Vea, nor the OT) is gone, Vea could very well be a Bengal.  There simply aren't many people on the planet with that size, strength, and speed.  
Reply/Quote
No OT. No Vea. James moving up boards. Brace yourself for the even year CB pick.

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 12:20 PM)bengals67 Wrote: assuming he stays with Bengals.

I have no idea why Geno would re-sign with the Bengals.

Truly would like to see Geno and AJ sign their last major contract with a team that has a legitimate shot at Super Bowl.

We don't.

Geno and AJ leave I dont want them anywhere near the Super Bowl. The Bengals have just a good of shot as anyone else in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 10:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Vea is a transcendent talent, though.  If the LB they covet (and I am not sure if he would be ranked above Vea, nor the OT) is gone, Vea could very well be a Bengal.  There simply aren't many people on the planet with that size, strength, and speed.  

Yeah and after hearing about Baker's attitude problems in Tampa where he jumped off sides cost his team the game
and then was smiling after, not sold on this guy at all now. Doesn't matter if he has upside and has been disruptive if
he is dumb asshole.

Still want Vea, Edmunds or McGlinchey at 12 assuming Nelson is gone.
Reply/Quote