Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spontaneous combustion
I woke up this morning about 9am, walked outside and smelled smoke and could see it, but couldn't locate the source immediately.  Turns out that apparently a pile of leaves (close to the house) from around 3 years ago ignited fairly deep down even though the pile is from quite some time ago. That's a first in my lifetime , leaves just igniting from out of the blue early in the daytime. Only a few things even make sense about the fire. Either something within the  pile of leaves was decaying quickly to create enough heat or someone passed through the backyard this morning (very rare around here) and discarded a lit cigarette. Of course the old woman immediately wanted to blame me for it despite the fact I'd been asleep the previous 8 hours.. (I'm getting tired of getting blamed for everything that could possibly annoy her which is an almost daily thing anymore and may lead me to pack up and leave..a completely different subject )
Anyway, a rather odd occurrence in the early hours of the day. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It can happen to any pile of organic debris that is decomposing.

Back when I was in the restaurant industry, I showed up to work one spring day to see the Fire Department there.

The owners had someone put down mulch a week prior, and it was around 4" deep.

It caught fire.

The firemen stated they get calls for similar circumstances all the time.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 11:00 AM)grampahol Wrote:  (I'm getting tired of getting blamed for everything that could possibly annoy her which is an almost daily thing anymore and may lead me to pack up and leave.

Might want to put a pile of dead leaves under her bed. Three years later, problem solved.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 09:24 AM)Beaker Wrote: Might want to put a pile of dead leaves under her bed. Three years later, problem solved.

Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 09:24 AM)Beaker Wrote: Might want to put a pile of dead leaves under her bed. Three years later, problem solved.

Too slow.  Although I do have a nice chunk of change in the bank if she suddenly crokes.. We're suddenly and miraculously getting along again. Pretty simple really . I just admit to being wrong about everything with my fingers crossed.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 07:07 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: It can happen to any pile of organic debris that is decomposing.

Back when I was in the restaurant industry, I showed up to work one spring day to see the Fire Department there.

The owners had someone put down mulch a week prior, and it was around 4" deep.

It caught fire.

The firemen stated they get calls for similar circumstances all the time.

This is very interesting and scary at the same time. I know I’ve put mulch more then 4” deep more then once. Never would of even thought that was a possibility. Thanks.
Reply/Quote
[Image: spinal-tap-spontaneous-combust.gif]
Reply/Quote
If my wife feeds me beans one more night this week, then there will be spontaneous combusting in my house!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 03:11 AM)grampahol Wrote: Too slow.  Although I do have a nice chunk of change in the bank if she suddenly crokes.. We're suddenly and miraculously getting along again. Pretty simple really . I just admit to being wrong about everything with my fingers crossed.  

Are we married to the same woman??? LMAO
Reply/Quote