Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sporting News Ranks AJ McCarron League's Best Backup QB
(07-07-2016, 08:44 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Pretty sure teams did inquire about him.  I seem to remember reading some articles about it, but can't say for sure

They didn't.

Hue had first hand experience with McCarron and he picked RG3 over him too. I hope that McCarron gets a starting spot on another team so I can laugh at how bad he does.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ehhh.. once Denver changed it up in the early bits of the game, going from man to zone defense, AJ McCarron never again averaged even 6.0 yards per attempt. Even against the 30st ranked passing defense in the NFL he only averaged 5.2 yards per attempt because the rest of the league learned.

-He was good when he could get man coverage, make one quick read, and throw the ball.
-He wasn't very good when he was faced against zone coverage and had to read the defense, leading to him just dinking and dunking in a really dumbed down offense.

AJ McCarron is much like a new baseball player who shows up and just starts launching the ball nonstop for homers at first.... but then the rest of the league gets a little bit of a look at him and realizes he can't hit the offspeed worth a damn and that's all he will get a steady dose of from then on. He's going to see a LOT of weird and different zone looks if he ever plays again, because teams pay their scouts for a reason.

He also showed zero pocket awareness, getting 12 sacks in a little less than 5 games and a LOT of happy feet short "scrambles" that got 2 or less yards (19 rushes, 40 yards).

- - - - - - - -
He might become something in this league, but I just know that I haven't seen him have "it" yet, and I think him without an amazing defense and great surrounding talent would be a really ugly thing to watch. If Dalton goes down again, the season goes down again.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think Katherine helped him out here somehow. Ninja
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2016, 04:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Since taking over for Andy in the Steeler's AJ McCarron has played in 5 games. 3 have been against tough division foes, 1 against the Super Bowl champion, and one out on the W.C. where we are known to struggle.

In 2 of those games he had a passer rating over 100
In 3 of those games he had a passer rating over 90
In 4 of those games he had a passer rating over 87
In the 5th of those games he had the best playoff performance by a Bengal QB since Boomer Esiason.

If anyone has anything negative to say about a kid who has only started 4 NFL in his career, they are just looking too hard for the negative. In my book he is the best backup in the NFL and soon will be a qauality starter.

This.  The guy came in off the bench and kept the season together (not to mention throwing for 280 yards against Pittsburgh that week).  I guess it is similar to the hate that Dalton used to get, but Dalton didn't get it after five games... I really do not understand the vitriol that some on here have towards the guy.
Reply/Quote
if you doubt him? Imagine him as a starter against us. Would not be good. He's by far the best backup in the NFL. He needs to stay here. He gave us our first playoff win in a long, long time. Hill gave it back. Don't forget that! Dude gave me us a steady (not give up, patient, confident) playoff game in which many of you had given up in the 2nd Qtr. He's solid and earned it.

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2016, 11:21 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: if you doubt him? Imagine him as a starter against us. Would not be good. He's by far the best backup in the NFL. He needs to stay here. He gave us our first playoff win in a long, long time. Hill gave it back. Don't forget that! Dude gave me us a steady (not give up, patient, confident) playoff game in which many of you had given up in the 2nd Qtr. He's solid and earned it.

The defense "gave us the win". McCarron barely did anything. McCarron had a lot of fumbles, some close INTs, and a INT. The only time he was able to score is when Hill started to go off and the defense put us in amazing field position. If the defense played like an average NFL defense we would have lost by at least 3 scores.
Reply/Quote
I'll take Nick Files as a backup over McCarron. He won't open the season as a starter.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2016, 04:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Since taking over for Andy in the Steeler's AJ McCarron has played in 5 games. 3 have been against tough division foes, 1 against the Super Bowl champion, and one out on the W.C. where we are known to struggle.

In the 5th of those games he had the best playoff performance by a Bengal QB since Boomer Esiason.

If anyone has anything negative to say about a kid who has only started 4 NFL in his career, they are just looking too hard for the negative. In my book he is the best backup in the NFL and soon will be a qauality starter.

So, 4 starts is too soon to give a negative critique, but just enough to say he's the best backup in the NFL and a guy who will become a quality starter?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2016, 02:01 PM)BengalChris Wrote: That 1 good clutch playoff quarter happened to be the best the Bengals have had in years though. That has to count for something. Our starters have done nothing but fold in the second half come playoff time. I'm not saying that McCarron should be the starter, but just pointing out that he did deliver something our last two starters have failed to do in multiple attempts.

A few of the better backup QBs from last year or the year before, have become starters around the league: Kurt Cousins, Oswheiler and Fitzpatrick. Cousins and Fitzpatrick had good years as starters.

I am surprised that NE backup QB Garoppolo wasn't listed as #1. That would have been my pick for the top backup QB and I'd have listed McCarron as #2.

Overall, it was a well spent 5th round pick. Just think we could have been stuck with Josh Johnson in those games. Parrish the thought.

you act like McCarron was the only guy out there playing in that one decent quarter.. the other starters stepped up also.. how about AJ and the key TD ?   

McCarron as a backup managed to go 2-2... Dalton was the starter  that delivered us a 10-3 record .  Enough said about that one
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2016, 02:19 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: you act like McCarron was the only guy out there playing in that one decent quarter.. the other starters stepped up also.. how about AJ and the key TD ?   

McCarron as a backup managed to go 2-2... Dalton was the starter  that delivered us a 10-3 record .  Enough said about that one

I mean, Dalton had one drive against the Steelers and McCarron played the rest.

Sooooo, McCarron is more so 2-3 and Dalton went 10-2.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote

Averaged 5.2 yards per attempt. Fumbled the ball 3 times and had an interception.

McCarron also only had 117 passing yards in the first 3 quarters. Against the 30th ranked passing defense. They also tied for 19th with most TDs thrown against them. Tied with Indy and Jacksonville. He only had 212 passing yards against them.

And it's not like the rush attack wasn't doing anything. Hill, Gio, and Burkhead ALL had above a 4.0 YPC.

I don't care about what other QBs have done before that. I'm going off of how McCarron played in that game. And he did not play well. Period.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2016, 11:09 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: This.  The guy came in off the bench and kept the season together (not to mention throwing for 280 yards against Pittsburgh that week).  I guess it is similar to the hate that Dalton used to get, but Dalton didn't get it after five games... I really do not understand the vitriol that some on here have towards the guy.
It is really bizarre.  Some hated him from the day he got here and stupidly refuse to give him one iota of credit for anything.  These are the people who will jump up and regurgitate all the reasons why he suxx for the ten thousandth time.

Apparently, objective outsiders are not bound by the bizarre and unmotivated hate, hence the ranking.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2016, 06:17 AM)McC Wrote: It is really bizarre.  Some hated him from the day he got here and stupidly refuse to give him one iota of credit for anything.  These are the people who will jump up and regurgitate all the reasons why he suxx for the ten thousandth time.

Apparently, objective outsiders are not bound by the bizarre and unmotivated hate, hence the ranking.

I know. Dalton has had it pretty rough since Day 1. It would be nice if he could finally get some credit for what he's done.

I know you were talking about McCarron, but the exact same could be said for Dalton. What's funny is that most of McCarron's biggest supporters are Andy's biggest detractors. They refuse to give Andy credit for what he's done for this franchise, but want McCarron to be lauded with praise and affection.

I have nothing against McCarron and want him to be successful. I think people are off their rockers when they say he should be starting over Dalton. Dalton is annually one of the best in the League in deep balls and people on this board destroy him if every deep ball isn't perfect. However, McCarron throws lame duck wobblers that Green has to come back for and wait on but that's a great throw.

To some fans, the best thing going for McCarron is that his name isn't Andy Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2016, 02:03 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So, 4 starts is too soon to give a negative critique, but just enough to say he's the best backup in the NFL and a guy who will become a quality starter?

Absolutely. People have wanted Dalton gone since he was drafted. All Dalton has done is help this team to a winning record every season he's been here, help lead the team to 5 consecutive playoff appearances, help win a division title, set franchise single season records, and do a ton of great things for a community that doesn't appreciate him. If that's not the recipe for being replaced by someone who is an NFL God after 4 starts, I don't know what is.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2016, 06:00 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Averaged 5.2 yards per attempt. Fumbled the ball 3 times and had an interception.

McCarron also only had 117 passing yards in the first 3 quarters. Against the 30th ranked passing defense. They also tied for 19th with most TDs thrown against them. Tied with Indy and Jacksonville. He only had 212 passing yards against them.

And it's not like the rush attack wasn't doing anything. Hill, Gio, and Burkhead ALL had above a 4.0 YPC.

I don't care about what other QBs have done before that. I'm going off of how McCarron played in that game. And he did not play well. Period.

(07-07-2016, 04:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If anyone has anything negative to say about a kid who has only started 4 NFL in his career, they are just looking too hard for the negative.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2016, 02:03 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So, 4 starts is too soon to give a negative critique, but just enough to say he's the best backup in the NFL and a guy who will become a quality starter?

What is negative? 3/4 of one game?

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2016, 10:28 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: Absolutely. People have wanted Dalton gone since he was drafted. All Dalton has done is help this team to a winning record every season he's been here, help lead the team to 5 consecutive playoff appearances, help win a division title, set franchise single season records, and do a ton of great things for a community that doesn't appreciate him. If that's not the recipe for being replaced by someone who is an NFL God after 4 starts, I don't know what is.

Folks wanted AJ gone from the minute he was drafted. I was in the draft forum when the pick was made. While the National pundits were going on and on about what a steal it was, the board was blowing up about how much of a bum he was.

Admittedly, I have been ctical of Andy's play in the past, yet heaped praise on him last year as he seemed to finally had put it all together. I do not want Andy replaced; I want Andy to come back and give us more of last year. This does not mean that I don't think AJ did a fine job for us last year and will be a quality starter in the NFL.

Reply/Quote
man I cant get over the negativity on the boards either. There are valid points to be made about areas where he struggled but man for not taking the reps with the 1's for most of the year, he had us in position to win tough games against Denver and Pittsburgh. Sure some of this was the play of his teammates. But as of right now I don't know that we've still seen enough to call him #1 backup in NFL nor enough to say he doesn't have what it takes to be a starter. Im just glad that as of right now we have him backing up Dalton & if Im in front office I keep him here. Unless the Steelers want to give us Antonio Brown for him....
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2016, 10:36 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks wanted AJ gone from the minute he was drafted. I was in the draft forum when the pick was made. While the National pundits were going on and on about what a steal it was, the board was blowing up about how much of a bum he was.

Admittedly, I have been ctical of Andy's play in the past, yet heaped praise on him last year as he seemed to finally had put it all together. I do not want Andy replaced; I want Andy to come back and give us more of last year. This does not mean that I don't think AJ did a fine job for us last year and will be a quality starter in the NFL.

This is what I don't think some people understand.  You can think AJ did a good job, especially for the situation he walked into (coming off the bench against the Steelers in the middle of a playoff run), and still be happy with Andy's level of play last year.  And trying to compare Dalton's season with what AJ did is pointless... Dalton was a fifth year starter, the guy that the offense is tailored around.  McCarron is the backup, we all hope that Dalton is able to continue to grow and to achieve even more than he did last year.  I don't see anyone calling for McCarron to take his job.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2016, 11:25 AM)BengalintheCbus Wrote: man I cant get over the negativity on the boards either. There are valid points to be made about areas where he struggled but man for not taking the reps with the 1's for most of the year, he had us in position to win tough games against Denver and Pittsburgh.  Sure some of this was the play of his teammates. But as of right now I don't know that we've still seen enough to call him #1 backup in NFL nor enough to say he doesn't have what it takes to be a starter. Im just glad that as of right now we have him backing up Dalton & if Im in front office I keep him here. Unless the Steelers want to give us Antonio Brown for him....

The on contrary I can;t believe some of the over the top hype on McCarron.  4 games is too little of a sample to judge a QB.  I always fall back on a Reds player named Austin Kearns,  had a outstanding rookie year, batting 315 , 13 home runs and 56 RBI in 107 games.  Never hit more than 265 as a Red and was a below average player with the Reds, traded 4 years later.

McCarron might end up having a nice QB career but he also might end up out of the league in a few years... we need more of a sample to fairly judge McCarron, I don;t think 4 starting games warrants the best backup QB in the league and if it does it shows how weak backups overall are right now.
Reply/Quote