Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sports Illustrated Mock!
Sports Illustrated posted a mock for us and I'd like to hear other people's opinions!

Quote:Round 1, Pick 28: Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame

There's probably a 50-50 chance Mayer makes it to the Bengals in round 1 and he fell to them in this mock.

The Notre Dame product is the cleanest tight end in this draft class. He hauled in 180 receptions for 2,099 yards and 18 touchdowns in three seasons. He was a first-team Associated Press All-American last season when he set a school record with nine touchdown catches and finished with 67 receptions for 809 receiving yards.

Mayer is a solid blocker and should be an instant plug-and-play starter as a rookie.

I have been speaking highly about Washington lately, but this pick and evaluation gets me excited about the potential of taking Mayer.

He's the safest pick and I think he's a sleeper since he put up those numbers when Notre Dame isn't known for using the tight end too much.

You could also say that Washington's numbers are misleading since he wasn't even the starter or used to much in the passing game, but, like I said, I think Mayer's safer.

Quote: Round 2, Pick 60: Tuli Tuipulotu, DE, USC

The Bengals only had 30 sacks last season. They give their pass rush a boost by taking Tuipulotu, despite adding Tarell Basham in free agency.

The 20-year-old gives Cincinnati a young, promising pass rusher that should be able to get on the field as a rookie, both on the edge and on the interior of the defensive line.

Tuipulotu had 46 tackles (22 for loss) and 13.5 sacks in 14 games for the Trojans last season.

Love the pick because we need improvements in the pass rush and I'd love to see what Lou can do with him.

Quote:Round 3, Pick 92: Cory Trice Jr., CB, Purdue

Trice is an intriguing prospect because he has great size (6-3, 206), tested well during the pre-draft process and could go earlier than his mid-round projection.

He moves well for his size and would give Lou Anarumo a young cornerback to work with this season. Trice led Purdue with 10 passes defensed, 34 tackles (two for loss) and two interceptions last season.

I think he excelled at the combine and put to rest concerns about his movements and transitions. He's solid in run support and can play well in man or zone coverage. Like they said, him falling this far would be a steal.

Quote:Round 4, Pick 131: Isreal Abanikanda, RB, Pittsburgh

Abanikanda gets picked by the Bengals in a second-straight mock. He was productive at a young age and like Tuipulotu, is still just 20-years-old.

He is one of the most exciting players in the draft. He ran a 4.39 second 40-yard dash at Pittsburgh's Pro Day.

Abanikanda topped the 100-yard rushing mark in nine of 11 games last season and scored 20 touchdowns on the ground.

He's young, productive and has elite speed for his size. He's exactly what the Bengals should be looking for at running back.

This dude can fly and is a big play threat. At first, I didn't like the pick because of his lack of pass catching/blocking abilities, but the next pick helped settle my concerns.

Quote:Round 5, Pick 163: Keaton Mitchell, RB, East Carolina

While Abanikanda has home run speed, the Bengals add a proven pass catching back in an attempt to completely remake their backfield.

Mitchell compiled 3,067 yards from scrimmage and 25 touchdowns over the past two seasons. He led the FBS with 54 runs of 10 yards or more last season. He could be a perfect compliment to Abanikanda.

The Bengals met with Mitchell and some may question a double dip at the running back position, but their offense would be much more dynamic with two young, dynamic players in the backfield.

Buh-bye Mixon. We draft two play makers that, between them, would make for a great combo and would add what Mixon lacks in the pass game.

Quote:Round 6, Pick 206: Carrington Valentine, CB, Kentucky

Valentine attended Moeller High School in Cincinnati, before spending the past three seasons at the University of Kentucky.

He ran a 4.44 40-yard dash and would give the Bengals a second young cornerback to develop for the future.

Valentine had 48 tackles (1.5 for loss), 10 passes defensed and one interception last season.

Can never have too many corners. Bring him home.

Quote:Round 7, Pick 246: Desjuan Johnson, DT, Toledo

Johnson impressed teams at the East-West Shrine Game after racking up 65 tackles (16.5 for loss), 5.5 sacks and one interception last season for the Rockets.

He doesn't have great size at 6-2, 285 pounds, but he's worth taking a flier on at this point in the draft.

Johnson could develop into a nice rotational piece in the Bengals' defensive line room.

Could be a sleeper and a good rotational piece on the defensive line.

I liked it so let me know what you think!
Reply/Quote
No additions to the WR depth, safety depth or OL depth?

Not a fan of ignoring all 3 of those spots to double dip at RB and CB.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 11:41 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: No additions to the WR depth, safety depth or OL depth?

Probably think we can get FAs and UDFAs that will be better than anything we can draft late.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 11:41 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: No additions to the WR depth, safety depth or OL depth?

We'd probably keep Jonah & cut Mixon. Use that $10 mil to plug holes. Not a huge fan of the 2nd RB/CB picks either. I'd rather take a punter late. 

Agree that the WR room needs help. Another speed guy, big (Mingo, Ford-Wheaton) or small (Flowers, Hyatt, Mims). An returner/slot upgrade from Taylor (Mims, Washington, Jones, Reed). A blocker who can contribute in the passing game to upgrade Morgan (Bell). 

I think we are set at safety. Hill was a 1st rounder. Scott was the guy we wanted in FA. We traded up for Anderson last year. Thomas can mentor them and was special teams captain last year. That's 4. 

Reply/Quote
Love the Mayer, Tuipulotu and Trice picks. Would want Tyjae Spears over Izzy because he is a better pass blocker and overall a
better playmaker at RB. I like the Keaton Mitchell pick a lot though, could be a Sproles type for us. I am fine with taking 2 CB's
and the DT late who has good upside to compete with Carter and Sample at 3-tech. We need some push up the middle.

I too would like a Punter and a Punt Returner to compete with Chrisman and Trent Taylor, but hey, this is still a nice draft I
would be happy with it.
Reply/Quote