Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sports Illustrated On Bengals Bates Contract
In last 7 days they said Bengals and Bates are eager to get a contract extension done before start of season. They know 24 year old Bates is best young Safety in NFL and probably best Defensive player on Bengals. At age 24, he is indeed part of The Future of building a good team around also young Joe Burrow. Bengals did sign Mixon and Hubbard to contract extensions, and Bates may take more money than either of them. Still, it is a move Bengals and Bates want to make. Bates wants to be a Bengal and Bengals want to keep the 2nd round draft pick that has turned into Team Leader and Star Player.

I'm hoping it gets done. The Bengals will not get out of Last Place by letting 24 year old Star Players leave. My word, he is not much older than college players, and already an NFL Star. Basic Common Sense demands signing him and avoiding Free Agency nonsense at end of year. Add in that the NFL is more about Safeties now. There was a time it was the Middle Linebacker such as Butkus. Some teams used 4 Linebackers, and all at least 3. Todays passing game demands less Linebackers and more Defensive Backs. If you can find a Ronnie Lott or an Ed Reed, that is the new Butkus. Bates at age 24 is the best young Lott or Reed in the NFL. Bengals should want Bates to play his career here.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 03:45 PM)kevin Wrote: In last 7 days they said Bengals and Bates are eager to get a contract extension done before start of season. They know 24 year old Bates is best young Safety in NFL and probably best Defensive player on Bengals. At age 24, he is indeed part of The Future of building a good team around also young Joe Burrow.  Bengals did sign Mixon and Hubbard to contract extensions, and Bates may take more money than either of them. Still, it is a move Bengals and Bates want to make. Bates wants to be a Bengal and Bengals want to keep the 2nd round draft pick that has turned into Team Leader and Star Player.

I'm hoping it gets done. The Bengals will not get out of Last Place by letting 24 year old Star Players leave. My word, he is not much older than college players, and already an NFL Star. Basic Common Sense demands signing him and avoiding Free Agency nonsense at end of year.

I'm sure it's a fait accompli and they're waiting for the right time to announce it. They want to make a big splash, Mikey-style. Monday before Week 1 ala Geno circa 2013 is what I'm expecting, so... September 6? Consider it done. 
Reply/Quote
I'm guessing he's going to get between 13-15 million per.
Reply/Quote
I've been waiting to buy his jersey. Hopefully they get it done soon.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 04:08 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I've been waiting to buy his jersey. Hopefully they get it done soon.

It'll be cheaper if they dont. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 03:45 PM)kevin Wrote: In last 7 days they said Bengals and Bates are eager to get a contract extension done before start of season. They know 24 year old Bates is best young Safety in NFL and probably best Defensive player on Bengals. At age 24, he is indeed part of The Future of building a good team around also young Joe Burrow.  Bengals did sign Mixon and Hubbard to contract extensions, and Bates may take more money than either of them. Still, it is a move Bengals and Bates want to make. Bates wants to be a Bengal and Bengals want to keep the 2nd round draft pick that has turned into Team Leader and Star Player.

I'm hoping it gets done. The Bengals will not get out of Last Place by letting 24 year old Star Players leave. My word, he is not much older than college players, and already an NFL Star. Basic Common Sense demands signing him and avoiding Free Agency nonsense at end of year. Add in that the NFL is more about Safeties now.  There was a time it was the Middle Linebacker such as Butkus.  Some teams used 4 Linebackers, and all at least 3.  Todays passing game demands less Linebackers and more Defensive Backs. If you can find a Ronnie Lott or an Ed Reed, that is the new Butkus.  Bates at age 24 is the best young Lott or Reed in the NFL.  Bengals should want Bates to play his career here.

Waiting on this deal, Jessie should get paid big dough and he deserves it and it will make us all happy before the season starts.
Reply/Quote
Both parties have my blessing to do this.

DO IT.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 04:05 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm guessing he's going to get between 13-15 million per.

The Franchise Tag for a Safety is 11 mil plus.  The highest paid safety in NFL makes 15 mil, and #10 makes 10 mil.  So the top 10 is from 10 to 15 mil.  The Franchise Tag is 11 mil.  The problem with the Franchise Tag is most players leave the next year, and Bates would be only 25 leaving. If he leaves with no tag at end of year, he is only 24.  He is too young and talented and a team leader not to keep and build a team around Burrow. I'm not sure he deserves to be the highest paid safety in NFL just yet. I would think 10 to 11 mil putting him in the Top 10. Maybe they go to 12 or 13.  My guess is they are in the ballpark of 10 to 13.  

Now I would not sign him as the highest paid safety in the NFL, he has not earned that yet. Where are his play-off wins or All Pro awards ? 15 mil or more is out of the question and would show Bates agent is not that interested in staying with Bengals as they claim.  

I would guess Bates gets signed long term as one of the Top 10 paid safeties in NFL at 10 to 13 mil a year. It would cost them 11 mil to Franchise Tag him. Might as well lock in the talented young 24 year old for years to build a team around also young Joe Burrow. 10 to 11 mil makes Bates a very high paid safety for age 24.

Sports Illustrated thinks Bengals and Bates agent will get this done before season starts. It's really hard to guess on the money. I'm just hoping Bengals can show improved blocking in these preseason games starting Saturday against Super Bowl Tampa. No reason these Moon Pies can't Block.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 10:27 AM)kevin Wrote: The Franchise Tag for a Safety is 11 mil plus.  The highest paid safety in NFL makes 15 mil, and #10 makes 10 mil.  So the top 10 is from 10 to 15 mil.  The Franchise Tag is 11 mil.  The problem with the Franchise Tag is most players leave the next year, and Bates would be only 25 leaving. If he leaves with no tag at end of year, he is only 24.  He is too young and talented and a team leader not to keep and build a team around Burrow. I'm not sure he deserves to be the highest paid safety in NFL just yet. I would think 10 to 11 mil putting him in the Top 10. Maybe they go to 12 or 13.  My guess is they are in the ballpark of 10 to 13.  

Now I would not sign him as the highest paid safety in the NFL, he has not earned that yet. Where are his play-off wins or All Pro awards ? 15 mil or more is out of the question and would show Bates agent is not that interested in staying with Bengals as they claim.  

I would guess Bates gets signed long term as one of the Top 10 paid safeties in NFL at 10 to 13 mil a year. It would cost them 11 mil to Franchise Tag him. Might as well lock in the talented young 24 year old for years to build a team around also young Joe Burrow. 10 to 11 mil makes Bates a very high paid safety for age 24.

Sports Illustrated thinks Bengals and Bates agent will get this done before season starts. It's really hard to guess on the money. I'm just hoping Bengals can show improved blocking in these preseason games starting Saturday against Super Bowl Tampa. No reason these Moon Pies can't Block.

It doesn't help that the Bengals are constantly pimping him on social media as "the best safety in the league". 

I mean I get that you want to build your players up, but when trying to leverage a contract its probably not the smartest move to say any of your players are "the best in the league". 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
The bigger the deal the more complicated it is to work out. With a player as young as bates the number of years and amount guaranteed is more importanr than just average per year.
Reply/Quote
A "top 5" player who is 24 will get a much different contract from a "top 5" player who is 30.
Reply/Quote
It's always darkest before dawn. I can smell the ink from here. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 10:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's always darkest before dawn. I can smell the ink from here. 

Yep. I smell the black protective secretion of a cephalopod right now as I type also. Yep, it’s a comin! 

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 10:20 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yep. I smell the black protective secretion of a cephalopod right now as I type also. Yep, it’s a comin! 

Word. I always wonder, "Why are we getting the play-by-play on these negotiations unless they're done? It serves nobody well to be going public with them." I just assume we're building up drama for a big splash in a few weeks. We shall see... 
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 12:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The bigger the deal the more complicated it is to work out. With a player as young as bates the number of years and amount guaranteed is more importanr than just average per year.

On another Bates thread, you asked what if Bates is asking 20 mil ?  Well, the highest paid Safety in NFL gets 15 mil, so 20 mil would be too much. 

However on what if's, What If Mike Brown is only offering 5 mil, when the Top Safeties in NFL are getting 10 mil ?  Then the fault would lie with Mike Brown again going Cheap. 

If Bengals and Bates Agent are to agree on a contract, it has to be at least 10 mil, but not 20 or even 15.  10 to 13, somewhere in there. If Mike Brown who says Why Should I Pay A Guard, feels the same way about Safeties, this team is forever doomed to last place. Other teams will grab Bates and pay him in March. Other teams do pay Guards and Safeties, because other teams are not content with Last Place. 

Hopefully Bengals sign him.  If the goal is to build a team around young Joe Burrow, then you keep your young 24 year old Defensive Star. 

ESPN claims Bengals will not sign him.  Sports Illustrated says Bengals will.  Let us hope Sports Illustrated is correct. Now Sports Illustrated says it is up to Katey Blackburn, but I disagree.  Every time Bengals hold a press conference it is still Mike Brown like the great dictator and very much in total control.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 02:00 AM)kevin Wrote: On another Bates thread, you asked what if Bates is asking 20 mil ?  Well, the highest paid Safety in NFL gets 15 mil, so 20 mil would be too much. 

However on what if's, What If Mike Brown is only offering 5 mil, when the Top Safeties in NFL are getting 10 mil ?  Then the fault would lie with Mike Brown again going Cheap. 

If Bengals and Bates Agent are to agree on a contract, it has to be at least 10 mil, but not 20 or even 15.  10 to 13, somewhere in there. If Mike Brown who says Why Should I Pay A Guard, feels the same way about Safeties, this team is forever doomed to last place. Other teams will grab Bates and pay him in March. Other teams do pay Guards and Safeties, because other teams are not content with Last Place. 

Hopefully Bengals sign him.  If the goal is to build a team around young Joe Burrow, then you keep your young 24 year old Defensive Star. 

ESPN claims Bengals will not sign him.  Sports Illustrated says Bengals will.  Let us hope Sports Illustrated is correct. Now Sports Illustrated says it is up to Katey Blackburn, but I disagree.  Every time Bengals hold a press conference it is still Mike Brown like the great dictator and very much in total control.  

Katie has been in charge of contract negotiations for years now....
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 08:37 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Katie has been in charge of contract negotiations for years now....

I'm sure Mike has brought Pumpkin' into the Legal Firm.  Still it is Poppa Mike who issues statements to media, " Why should I pay a guard ", and is sitting alone in front of the media microphone on every major free agent brought in, every major draft pick, every major contact signing.  It is always the old bald head of Mike Brown in these pictures. He is still very much running everything. Rumors that he has stepped back into retirement are greatly exaggerated. He has brought Katie and other children and grandchildren into The Law Firm. There in lies a problem, they are lawyers who know how to run a Law Firm, but since Paul Browns death have yet to show they know anything about Football.  So here is hoping Mike or his Little Pumpkin' get Bates signed, and show they care about Winning. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote