Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spotify vs Pandora
What are the pros § cons of these two?

I use Pandora. I pay the $9.99 monthly fee for the premium version § I love it. However, everyone I talk to seems to agree that Spotify is better.

Why?
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
I don't have either, but both my kids (22 and 17) have Spotify. I figure they usually know best in these kinds of things. (Only these kinds of things. I can't emphasize that part enough.)
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 12:21 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't have either, but both my kids (22 and 17) have Spotify. I figure they usually know best in these kinds of things. (Only these kinds of things. I can't emphasize that part enough.)

What do kids/young people know though?

They think saying ‘yeet’ is cool § confuse the word ratchet with wretched.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 01:40 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: What do kids/young people know though?

They think saying ‘yeet’ is cool § confuse the word ratchet with wretched.

[Image: a-ratchet-was-a-tool-back-in-my-day-meme.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 11:17 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: What are the pros § cons of these two?

I use Pandora. I pay the $9.99 monthly fee for the premium version § I love it. However, everyone I talk to seems to agree that Spotify is better.

Why?

never used Pandora but I'm guessing they are very similar...  I'm on my buddys family plan (10 people for like 25 a month)
I think its also 9.99 a month though

But Spotify
Play music in any order
Make your own Play list
Download music and albums for offline play.
Works on Xbox. <<<<----- Key thing for me

I'm sure Pandora offers all those features as well. (besides xbox I haven't seen it on there)

so I'm guessing either music selection or ease of use is a factor.     or they have only used Spotify like me lol
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 05:59 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: never used Pandora but I'm guessing they are very similar...  I'm on my buddys family plan (10 people for like 25 a month)

But Spotify
Play music in any order
Make your own Play list

I'm sure Pandora offers all those features as well. (besides xbox I haven't seen it on there)

so I'm guessing either music selection or ease of use is a factor.     or they have only used Spotify like me lol

Yeah I think they’re fairly similar. I also agree that most people that prefer Spotify have only used Spotify. But a common reply I get is that ‘Pandora sucks’. Maybe the free version does, but the premium version is where it’s at for me. I will say that I really don’t like the ‘drop’ playlists they keep giving me. I don’t want their suggested songs. I’d like to figure out how to avoid/delete them.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 05:59 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: never used Pandora but I'm guessing they are very similar...  I'm on my buddys family plan (10 people for like 25 a month)

But Spotify
Play music in any order
Make your own Play list

I started using Spotify because of Playstation. I like all of these features. 

Since I am in grad school, I qualify for a student price for $5 that also includes Hulu and Showtime in that price. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote

But Spotify
Play music in any order
Make your own Play list

I use Pandora on my Xbox. 

Hmm

I use the free Pandora. Works fine for me. Sometimes it gets repetitive, but... It's free.

My son freaks out about it all the time and says I'm wasting my time not using Spotify. Don't see the difference, really.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 11:25 PM)Benton Wrote: I use Pandora on my Xbox. 

Hmm

I use the free Pandora. Works fine for me. Sometimes it gets repetitive, but... It's free.

My son freaks out about it all the time and says I'm wasting my time not using Spotify. Don't see the difference, really.

free Spotify is probly about the same can play playlist and can skip so many songs a day but after that you basically just have to listen thru.. 
heres a breakdown someone wrote

"The popular music streaming services Pandora and Spotify function very differently. Spotify listeners can choose the songs they want to play, when they want to play them. Meanwhile, Pandora is a radio service that does not let users choose the specific songs they want to listen to, whenever they want. Instead, users create a "radio station" based on artists, songs, or genres they already like; Pandora then finds songs that are "musically similar" by way of their Music Genome Project.

Pandora is a way for users to discover new music that matches their tastes, while Spotify—even though it offers radio stations, too—is better suited to stream and share music that users already know and love. "

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Pandora_vs_Spotify

library size was about 1 mil Pandora vs 30 mil Spotify not sure when the article was written
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 10:03 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: free Spotify is probly about the same can play playlist and can skip so many songs a day but after that you basically just have to listen thru.. 
heres a breakdown someone wrote

"The popular music streaming services Pandora and Spotify function very differently. Spotify listeners can choose the songs they want to play, when they want to play them. Meanwhile, Pandora is a radio service that does not let users choose the specific songs they want to listen to, whenever they want. Instead, users create a "radio station" based on artists, songs, or genres they already like; Pandora then finds songs that are "musically similar" by way of their Music Genome Project.

Pandora is a way for users to discover new music that matches their tastes, while Spotify—even though it offers radio stations, too—is better suited to stream and share music that users already know and love. "

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Pandora_vs_Spotify

library size was about 1 mil Pandora vs 30 mil Spotify not sure when the article was written

That’s a great summary and probably the reason I prefer Pandora.

For me, there’s nothing better than discovering a great song from an artist that I’ve never heard of.

With the premium version, I can listen to any song I want as well as give it a thumbs up, then have a thumbs up playlist.

(Lots of Modest Mouse, Benton).
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:42 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: That’s a great summary and probably the reason I prefer Pandora.

For me, there’s nothing better than discovering a great song from an artist that I’ve never heard of.

With the premium version, I can listen to any song I want as well as give it a thumbs up, then have a thumbs up playlist.

(Lots of Modest Mouse, Benton).

That's been my biggest thing, learning about new groups . Pandora does a pretty good job of that. Although I will say, the last year or so it seems pretty stagnant on the same songs on my stations (I usually have a few different ones, Lucero, modest mouse, and Rob zombie in addition to my thumbs up). It's a good mix of stuff 
Reply/Quote
spotify. ride or die.

i've been paying for the premium for a while now and wont go back. cant bring myself to ditch the thousands of CD's i own, but she'll take care of that soon i assume.

you can do everything I believe you can on pandora on spotify in terms of finding new songs, through the 'radio' function. add songs, artists, entire playlists, etc to a 'radio' channel you create and it will find songs for you. it also knows my daily routine and seems to put specific stations / suggestions in front of me by time of day or probably the machine im at (instrumental / lowfi while at work; 'Spank Rock’s Bangers & Cash' in the sheets).

i know people who enjoy pandora b/c of specific stations they've curated, but i honestly think you can do the same with spotify. unfortunately the amount of money behind spotify will always give them the advantage in song choice, advanced algorithms and breadth of library.

i know pandora opened the way, but dont understand why you wouldnt want to be able to play whatever specific song you want whenever you want.

also. i feel terrible for having adopted this technology, but im all in at this point.
Reply/Quote
I say screw both and listen to our station!

Our selling points:
1) Listen to the same four hours(noon-4 - 6-10 am or pm), everyday for seven days a week, you won't hear a song repeated for over a month and a half. Also, on each day you won't hear the same band twice in those four hours.

2) Listen to the same hour, everyday for seven days a week and you won't hear a song repeated for up to a half of a year(Daylight savings sucks)

3) 70% of our music is recorded off of vinyl records by our staff.

4) From Sinatra to Motorhead and all points in between except Hip Hop. Lots of hits and deep cuts mixed in. Also, we play Rock You Like A Hurricane, but the live version instead of the same version that you've heard for 35 years. We play the studio version of Bob Seger's Turn The Page instead of the same live version that's been played on radio and jukeboxes for over 40 years. We play Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie followed by part two of the story, Major Tom (Coming Home) by Peter Schilling.

5) Our DJs talk about music. No talk about your ride to the studio, no talk about a joke you just heard, no talk about your Facebook newsfeed and definitely no talk about your damn politics. Nobody tunes in to music stations to hear DJs talk. I tell our DJs "There's plenty of talk radio out there if you want to have your opinions heard, you can go there and if you're good enough, they'll let you speak. Here, you talk about music and then get off of the air."

6) It's non-commercial so we can't charge but you can donate if you like. Link in my sig
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I use Amazon Prime Music. For $99/yr. I get limited music, unlimited video streaming, free deliveries, free ebooks, ect.....

To get unlimited music if cost an additional $7.99/mo
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 05:04 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I say screw both and listen to our station!

Our selling points:
1) Listen to the same four hours(noon-4 - 6-10 am or pm), everyday for seven days a week, you won't hear a song repeated for over a month and a half. Also, on each day you won't hear the same band twice in those four hours.

2) Listen to the same hour, everyday for seven days a week and you won't hear a song repeated for up to a half of a year(Daylight savings sucks)

3) 70% of our music is recorded off of vinyl records by our staff.

4) From Sinatra to Motorhead and all points in between except Hip Hop. Lots of hits and deep cuts mixed in. Also, we play Rock You Like A Hurricane, but the live version instead of the same version that you've heard for 35 years. We play the studio version of Bob Seger's Turn The Page instead of the same live version that's been played on radio and jukeboxes for over 40 years. We play Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie followed by part two of the story, Major Tom (Coming Home) by Peter Schilling.

5) Our DJs talk about music. No talk about your ride to the studio, no talk about a joke you just heard, no talk about your Facebook newsfeed and definitely no talk about your damn politics. Nobody tunes in to music stations to hear DJs talk. I tell our DJs "There's plenty of talk radio out there if you want to have your opinions heard, you can go there and if you're good enough, they'll let you speak. Here, you talk about music and then get off of the air."

6) It's non-commercial so we can't charge but you can donate if you like. Link in my sig

Sounds great but I don’t think it’s a local (Cincinnati) station.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 11:53 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Sounds great but I don’t think it’s a local (Cincinnati) station.

Neither is Spotify or Pandora.

It's an Alaskan station streaming at https://mountainofrock.org/
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 02:32 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Neither is Spotify or Pandora.

It's an Alaskan station streaming at https://mountainofrock.org/

We Got Frog Mountain round here.
Reply/Quote