Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spotrac projects Iloka's contract: 4 yr- 28.5m
Extension Projection: George Iloka

He's quietly been one of the better players on a strong Cincinnati Bengals defense, even called their "secret weapon" by Pro Football Focus last season. Now safety George Iloka is the in the 4th and final year of his rookie contract with the Bengals, and all signs point to a forthcoming extension. We'll assess the current value of Iloka, stacking him up against four of the top safeties in the league with recent contracts to project what his extension might look like.

Full Article

And here's the previous one they did for Green...

AJ's Projection
Reply/Quote
Love the article.

It's been a while since I've heard outside sources refer to one of our safeties as "elite".

Iloka has absurd coverage skills, hopefully that continues throughout the rest of his career (assuming we lock him up).
Reply/Quote
I think this points to one of the strong suits of the Bengals players and organization. Lack of holdouts. For instance Kam Chancelor has 3 years remaining on a contract that will pay him 3 times what George will make this year and yet he is holding out.

There are a number of Bengals that are in a similar situation and the only one you've heard a peep from is team veteran Andrew Whitworth
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
4 year 28 mill is sooooooooo worth it.

We have been looking for a safety like Illoka for as long as I can remember. If we let him walk...So help me God.

Reply/Quote
I've been surprised that Williams hasn't unseated Nelson or Iloka, but that tandem is getting the job done. Can't argue with results.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Are they projecting Iloka to be the highest paid safety in the league?

Iloka will receive a huge benefit by getting an extension this year instead of playing for peanuts ($1.5 million) and risk getting injured. With that leverage I think we should be able to work out a deal that would be lower than the highest safety salary in the league.

not bashing Iloka at all. I love the guy. Just don't know if we need to make him the highest paid safety in the league.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 11:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Are they projecting Iloka to be the highest paid safety in the league?

Iloka will receive a huge benefit by getting an extension this year instead of playing for peanuts ($1.5 million) and risk getting injured.  With that leverage I think we should be able to work out a deal that would be lower than the highest safety salary in the league.

not bashing Iloka at all.  I love the guy.  Just don't know if we need to make him the highest paid safety in the league.

He really is up there with the best. Another top season and he probably deserves to be the highest paid SS. 

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 11:44 AM)EatonFan Wrote: I've been surprised that Williams hasn't unseated Nelson or Iloka, but that tandem is getting the job done.  Can't argue with results.

I agree that they're getting the job done, but I'm curious why you're so surprised that a STer that hasn't shown much hasn't been able to unseat guys that make up the #2-5 best S tandem in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 11:36 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I think this points to one of the strong suits of the Bengals players and organization. Lack of holdouts. For instance Kam Chancelor has 3 years remaining on a contract that will pay him 3 times what George will make this year and yet he is holding out.

There are a number of Bengals that are in a similar situation and the only one you've heard a peep from is team veteran Andrew Whitworth

Seahawks blew it by caving to M.Lynch when he held out. One of the reasons coaches and gm's usually don't cave. Bad message to the other players. Seahawks are paying the price for it.

I hope at the very least we re-sign Iloka this offseason.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I want him to get a new deal and remain with the team. The price tag of 28.5 million might be a bit steep though.....is that really the price tag for a top of the line safety now?
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
He should be the first guy we sign to an extension. The guy does everything you want a safety to do.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Pay the man!

Great cover Safety and can lay the wood. Quietly becoming one of my favorite players.

George of the Jungle must stay in the Jungle.
Reply/Quote
I love Iloka for many many reasons.

How often do you find a guy who is one of the hardest hitters but also has coverage skills of a corner (maybe an exaggeration)

The article says it all, he clearly smokes the competition when it comes to QBR and yards per catch. If he wasn't a Bengal he would be a household name (we say that a lot don't we).

We will sign him and let Reggie walk eventually Sad but I will enjoy this tandem while it lasts.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 11:39 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: 4 year 28 mill is sooooooooo worth it.

We have been looking for a safety like Illoka for as long as I can remember. If we let him walk...So help me God.

i have to believe they find a way to lock up Iloka with nelson also expiring this year (his contract ) or course if the season ends extremely well... some of our Free agents might be highly sought after.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 11:52 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: He really is up there with the best. Another top season and he probably deserves to be the highest paid SS. 

I love IIoka

But, I don's put him in the same class as Thomas or Cam or old time safeties like Reed or Troy in their prime.

I think he is top 10 no doubt, maybe 5th or 6th so I vote no on giving him best safety in the NFL money. Of course, I also will not be involved in is contract talks thus no vote.

Pay the man fairly, but do not over do it as he still is not the play maker (TD's and turnover machines) others have been or are right now.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 02:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I love IIoka

But, I don's put him in the same class as Thomas or Cam or old time safeties like Reed or Troy in their prime.

I think he is top 10 no doubt, maybe 5th or 6th so I vote no on giving him best safety in the NFL money. Of course, I also will not be involved in is contract talks thus no vote.

Pay the man fairly, but do not over do it as he still is not the play maker (TD's and turnover machines) others have been or are right now.

how much are they projecting Cams next contract?
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 02:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: how much are they projecting Cams next contract?

I don't know, but Cam is already on contract 2 so why would we pay IIoka more than Cam's current contract (I believe he make 6.5 million in 2015)

If IIoka had more huge plays, then yes he would be the best safety possibly, but to date he has shown nothing earth shattering with picks or TD's or creating turnovers.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 03:00 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't know, but Cam is already on contract 2 so why would we pay IIoka more than Cam's current contract (I believe he make 6.5 million in 2015)

If IIoka had more huge plays, then yes he would be the best safety possibly, but to date he has shown nothing earth shattering with picks or TD's or creating turnovers.

Why does Iloka have to be good at everything but Kam Chancellor doesn't?

Chancellor has shown nothing earth shattering in coverage, where Iloka has been the best coverage safety out of 64 starters in the last 2 years.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 03:06 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Why does Iloka have to be good at everything but Kam Chancellor doesn't?

Chancellor has shown nothing earth shattering in coverage, where Iloka has been the best coverage safety out of 64 starters in the last 2 years.

Because big hits are cool, and the only thing average fans care about coverage wise are interceptions.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 04:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: Because big hits are cool, and the only thing average fans care about coverage wise are interceptions.

It's sad because Iloka actually makes some huge, legal hits too. He goes very unrecognized, even by part of his own fanbase. Some people are just overly critical of own our guys, some of our players DO deserve this type of praise.

The part that baffles me is I saw somebody mention that Iloka isn't as good as Polamalu or Reed in their prime. Oh, really? Well, gee, that's only some Hall of Fame expectations to have there, nothing too crazy Rolleyes

Spotrac projected him to be the highest paid S in the league by about $100k lol I feel like some people are just getting worked up over the language "highest paid safety". If they projected it at $200k less, which is almost nothing when talking about these monster deals, I'd guarantee you wouldn't hear the nitpicking from these same people. Contracts in the NFL are getting more expensive each and every year, top guys at their position are going to make more and more as the salary cap increases. Iloka getting paid $7 million per won't sound too crazy sooner than later.
Reply/Quote