Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spotrac projects Iloka's contract: 4 yr- 28.5m
(08-24-2015, 12:40 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I think the Bengals S as a tandem are probably top 4. I don't think either of them are top 5 alone. If you think that is nonsense then you are a biased idiot.

For the pair to be top 4, one of them has to be pretty damn close to 5, if we're using Earth math, that is.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2015, 04:10 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I don't have the time nor do I care to break down every S and give you reasons why they are better.  That would take a very long time.  I've never even done that for Andy Dalton and we all know where I stand with that guy. 

The bottom line is that I think this message forum has overhyped Iloka based upon a PFF stat. While I consider advanced analytics a part of the game that plays a role; I also have eyes and watch the games. I don't see him making an impact in games as I do some of the other players I have mentioned.  In fact, based upon the eye ball test you could make a case that Nelson is better than Iloka.

PFF comes up with all types of stats which results in mediocre players that are ranked very high, and vise versa. 

Also, you are too caught up with the example I brought up about polling the fans. I could easily change that and say writers of America or NFL GMs and I still think the same thought would hold true; that Iloka is a S ranked between 10-20.

This isn't some absurd notion....the only absurd notion is that you think ranking him between 10-20 is absurd.    
Couple days ago, you had him 12-20.  Now he's 10-20.  You must think he's improving.  In a couple more days, will he be 8-20?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2015, 04:10 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I don't have the time nor do I care to break down every S and give you reasons why they are better.  That would take a very long time.  I've never even done that for Andy Dalton and we all know where I stand with that guy. 

The bottom line is that I think this message forum has overhyped Iloka based upon a PFF stat. While I consider advanced analytics a part of the game that plays a role; I also have eyes and watch the games. I don't see him making an impact in games as I do some of the other players I have mentioned.  In fact, based upon the eye ball test you could make a case that Nelson is better than Iloka.

PFF comes up with all types of stats which results in mediocre players that are ranked very high, and vise versa. 

Also, you are too caught up with the example I brought up about polling the fans. I could easily change that and say writers of America or NFL GMs and I still think the same thought would hold true; that Iloka is a S ranked between 10-20.

This isn't some absurd notion....the only absurd notion is that you think ranking him between 10-20 is absurd.    

It isn't just some made up PFF stat though, it's a lot of actual statistics that PFF happens to track. Iloka is one of the best coverage safeties in the league, and he's probably THE best coverage SS in the league. That much isn't even debatable, it's backed up by plenty of facts and statistics.

Past that, you have to weigh coverage for a S compared to other duties. Some of those other guys you named are great against the run but lack in coverage. Iloka is no one trick pony, and I bet I could make a compelling argument that he's actually better than all but just a couple of guys you listed (but they're FS sooo, yeah different positions).

You don't have to break down each player, just one. Please enlighten me in which ways on which planet Patrick freaking Chung is better than George Iloka. I mean, did you run out of guys for your list so you just threw out a random safety with name recognition that happens to play on a winning team? You do know that he isn't among the better safeties in the league, right?
Reply/Quote
I'd rather nobody knows any of our DB's names - it means they're doing their job.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2015, 06:14 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I'd rather nobody knows any of our DB's names - it means they're doing their job.

Earl Thomas makes a lot of money for not doing his job.

I know what you meant... sorta
Reply/Quote