Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spotrac projects Iloka's contract: 4 yr- 28.5m
(08-21-2015, 04:24 PM)djs7685 Wrote: It's sad because Iloka actually makes some huge, legal hits too. He goes very unrecognized, even by part of his own fanbase. Some people are just overly critical of own our guys, some of our players DO deserve this type of praise.

The part that baffles me is I saw somebody mention that Iloka isn't as good as Polamalu or Reed in their prime. Oh, really? Well, gee, that's only some Hall of Fame expectations to have there, nothing too crazy Rolleyes

Spotrac projected him to be the highest paid S in the league by about $100k lol I feel like some people are just getting worked up over the language "highest paid safety". If they projected it at $200k less, which is almost nothing when talking about these monster deals, I'd guarantee you wouldn't hear the nitpicking from these same people. Contracts in the NFL are getting more expensive each and every year, top guys at their position are going to make more and more as the salary cap increases. Iloka getting paid $7 million per won't sound too crazy sooner than later.

It is crazy how someone like him goes pretty unnoticed.  He can be the best coverage safety in the league, but if he isn't flashy about it, he will be ignored.  Picks are pretty. Laying the wood is pretty.  It's even better though, to know that you have a guy back there that just isn't going to give up big plays.  some will always downplay reliability and consistency in favor of flashiness.

I fully expect him to get paid like one of the best...even if that number seems high for s safety.  Maybe it's not as high as I've been thinking....
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd take that deal and put it right in front of Iloka right now. He's easily the best safety we've had since Marvin took over.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 12:16 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I want him to get a new deal and remain with the team.  The price tag of 28.5 million might be a bit steep though.....is that really the price tag for a top of the line safety now?

Yes, that is what they go for now.  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/safety/

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I hope we do what we have to in order to keep Iloka here. It sure seems like he keeps getting better every year and would be a shame to develop what is looking to be a great safety, only to let him walk away. I think we will pay him good money and keep him here and he will help this team for quite a few years!!
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 02:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I love IIoka

But, I don's put him in the same class as Thomas or Cam or old time safeties like Reed or Troy in their prime.

I think he is top 10 no doubt, maybe 5th or 6th so I vote no on giving him best safety in the NFL money. Of course, I also will not be involved in is contract talks thus no vote.

Pay the man fairly, but do not over do it as he still is not the play maker (TD's and turnover machines) others have been or are right now.

I think he had a better season than Cam last year and two of the safeties you have listed are FS's and two are instant HoFers. Not exactly fair comparisons.

People need to realise we really do have some elite talent on this team. Illoka is on the cusp of that right now. Look down a list of NFL starting SS's and you will find that after a healthy Eric Berry, Illoka is the most complete player at his position.

Reply/Quote
The rationale for staying away from big free agents is that the team prefers to keep its own. When our own happens to be really good, it's going to cost some money. Signing Iloka is a no-brainer.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 04:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: Because big hits are cool, and the only thing average fans care about coverage wise are interceptions.

Yeah, but George hits big too. Very underrated player in this league.
Reply/Quote
Weird to think of the day the Bengals have real team issues, such as too many good players to fit them all under the cap. Being a fan throughout the 90's this day seems like it would never come.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 04:41 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: It is crazy how someone like him goes pretty unnoticed.  He can be the best coverage safety in the league, but if he isn't flashy about it, he will be ignored.  Picks are pretty. Laying the wood is pretty.  It's even better though, to know that you have a guy back there that just isn't going to give up big plays.  some will always downplay reliability and consistency in favor of flashiness.

I fully expect him to get paid like one of the best...even if that number seems high for s safety.  Maybe it's not as high as I've been thinking....

He's not unnoticed by other teams come game day I assure you of that. The media barely notices the Bengals. Whit gets zero coverage outside cinci, Hall didn't get any in his prime even though he was one of the better CBs in the league.

You pretty much have to be an elite player or the QB to get national press when playing in cinci.

Reply/Quote
Best Safety in the league? Get real....he isn't even the best safety on the team. (Yes I know about the PFF stat about opposing QB rating)

I honestly think he is the most overrated player on this bengals. People that think he is one of the best 5 safeties in the NFL need to watch games outside of cincinnnati.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 12:16 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I want him to get a new deal and remain with the team.  The price tag of 28.5 million might be a bit steep though.....is that really the price tag for a top of the line safety now?

It's not really that bad when you consider that he's a Top 2 SS in the league. It's truthfully discounted, because S isn't considered a premium position. Good, but not great, starting CB's get $10+ mill a year, so $7 mill a year for an elite S seems like a bargain to me. Plus, there are other things that can be done to lower his cap hit. For example, if the Bengals offered 4 years, $28.5 mill right now as an extension, they would gain an extra year to spread out the cap dollars. With his $1.5 mill salary this year, it would basically be a 5 year, $30 mill deal that average out to around $6 mill a year.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2015, 02:40 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Weird to think of the day the Bengals have real team issues, such as too many good players to fit them all under the cap. Being a fan throughout the 90's this day seems like it would never come.

Oh God, yes. The days where the Bengals FO was supposed to back up the Brinks truck to the house of any player that had ever shown anything and fans would lament on how we would ever replace talents like James Francis, David Dunn, John Copeland, and Eric Bienemy.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2015, 02:51 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Best Safety in the league? Get real....he isn't even the best safety on the team. (Yes I know about the PFF stat about opposing QB rating)

I honestly think he is the most overrated player on this bengals. People that think he is one of the best 5 safeties in the NFL need to watch games outside of cincinnnati.

You are so full of shit. The most overrated player on this bengals?

Iloka does everything asked of him, hardly ever gets beat, can lay the wood, best cover Safety in the league and was a 5th rounder.

He is the exact opposite of overrated dumbass. Sorry if i sound PO'ed but your post pissed me off.

Did you even watch Iloka play last season? Sure doesn't sound like it. Nelson is a fine Saftey too but he is getting up there in age.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2015, 02:51 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Best Safety in the league? Get real....he isn't even the best safety on the team. (Yes I know about the PFF stat about opposing QB rating)

So, now you're turning your white hot light on George, huh?  You seem to be alone in your assessment, whatever that means.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

:troll:
Reply/Quote

[Image: 1403.gif]
Reply/Quote

Alright, come on man.

George is a top 3 SS and top 10 safety in general right now.

I understand that a lot of threads on here getting pretty homer-ish, but this is one of the few that is absolutely warranted.

Show me a better coverage safety over the last two years, I'd love to see it. The thing is, you wouldn't be able to. Why would you diminish Iloka's abilities like that?

He's probably the most underrated S in the entire league yet someone is saying he's overrated?! GTFO.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 11:28 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Extension Projection: George Iloka

He's quietly been one of the better players on a strong Cincinnati Bengals defense, even called their "secret weapon" by Pro Football Focus last season. Now safety George Iloka is the in the 4th and final year of his rookie contract with the Bengals, and all signs point to a forthcoming extension. We'll assess the current value of Iloka, stacking him up against four of the top safeties in the league with recent contracts to project what his extension might look like.

Full Article

And here's the previous one they did for Green...

AJ's Projection

A top notch SS who can cover aren't all that common. I'd love to see the team sign him.

Reply/Quote
George put himself in the upperechloen of deep safeties last year, but I'd still put these guys ahead of him.

Eric Weddle
Earl Thomas
Harrison Smith

If someone made a case for Glover Quin, Devin McCourty or Tashaun Gipson I wouldn't disagree completely.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2015, 11:55 PM)Stormborn Wrote: George put himself in the upperechloen of deep safeties last year, but I'd still put these guys ahead of him.

Eric Weddle
Earl Thomas
Harrison Smith

If someone made a case for Glover Quin, Devin McCourty or Tashaun Gipson I wouldn't disagree completely.

Fair enough, even to crack the top 7 in S salaries, it would take $7M/per.  I really do not feel like the 4 yr-$28+M is really out of line, in any sort of way.  George is an asset to the team, he has truly earned his position, worked his way up through the ranks, bided his time for Chris Crocker to retire.  All the man has done, is live up to, and exceed expectations.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote