Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low carb diet tips
I've always struggled with my weight simply because I love to eat. Back in the day when I did competitive TaeKwonDo, I was 6'0, 180. I usually hover between 260-280. I know it's not healthy, but I also carry a ton of muscle on my legs and core from doing martial arts. I ballooned up to 300 last year and did strict keto for 6 weeks and got down to 255. I was back up to 300 about a week ago and decided I really needed to do something again. I started keto and have lost 12 pounds already.

The odd thing for me is that I could eat the following for lunch:

Chipotle - steak, sour cream, cheese
Buffalo Wild Wings- 10 wings, with blue cheese and ranch.

I wouldn't be hungry for the rest of the day and I would consistently lose about a pound a day. Of course the only thing I drank was water, nothing else. I completely cut our carbonated drinks and my aerobic work was so much easier.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2020, 05:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yep.  Ketchup, BBQ sauce, many salad dressings.

When I make pizza/spaghetti sauce from scratch I always add sugar, ketchup, or shredded carrots for sweetness to neutralize some of the acidity in tomato sauce.

What suprised me was that sugarfree hard candies are not carb free.  I was planning on eating a lot of those.  

I just learned about using carrots to offset the acidity when I made a bolognese. Makes sense but it never occurred to me.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2020, 03:47 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Damn, I'm 6'4 and 300lbs, down from 345, but I couldn't even imagine being under 200. Just curious are you super active? I have a coworker who is around 6'1 and 170s and he eats all day it seems but doesnt workout or anything like that. Hes always trying to gain weight.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'd like to think I live a very active life but I've always had a weight issue... while most people have struggle lose pounds I have to exercise and eat correctly to gain and hold weight. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2020, 08:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I just learned about using carrots to offset the acidity when I made a bolognese. Makes sense but it never occurred to me.

Us in Northern-Italy, typically use sugar to offset the acidity (and it works).

You don't need much; in a medium-sized pot, I put in a tablespoon. Additionally, tomato paste also helps cut down on acidity.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I decided to change my diet when I turned 40. My dad had just died at 65 of colon cancer and I sort of freaked out and made some lifestyle changes. One thing I can advise for anyone is to consume dark greens as much as possible. Tumeric is good, too. It will help you recover from whatever workout you're able to do, and it's cheap. I drink 1-2 blended drinks consisting of an orange and a full container of spinach or power greens daily. It helps with inflammation and also keeps your gut clean if you eat a lot of meat. I know you're low-carb, but I'm not a fan of shying away from fruits. Too many benefits. If you're not eating a bunch of bread and starches, it shouldn't be a huge deal anyway.

I'm 42 now and while not in the best shape of my life, I maintain at around 5-11, 220 pounds. I run and lift 5 days a week until I start to feel beat up, then switch to yoga for a month or so to recuperate. Honestly, if you can get past the stigma, yoga is excellent for you in countless ways. It may not tone you up like lifting, but you will feel incredible and your mobility will increase greatly. It's challenging as hell, to boot. You will hate it for the hour that you're doing it, but love it for the rest of the day. If you are limited when it comes to lifting and conventional cardio, it's probably exactly what you need.

I have to eat carbs to function. I stand up at work all day, and that combined with lifting demands carb intake on at least a moderate level.
Reply/Quote
Use wraps instead of bread for everything. You can buy these wraps called "Xtreme wellness" or something like that and they are 5 grams net cards and like 50 calories with a shit load of fiber in them.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2020, 12:56 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is a smart diet, Fred!  You’re going low carb by choice but some of us have to go low carb because of a gluten issue.  I lost 30 pounds since going gluten-free since January 2018.  I can have oats and rice but potatoes and corn are highly discouraged.  

I’m excited to see how this diet works for you.  Do you do any cardio as well?  I get on the treadmill just 30 minutes a day.

Going gluten free has nothing to do with your weight loss - going low carb does. 

For the majority of people, going gluten free is a marketing gimmick that does absolutely nothing for the person doing it. 

If you had a real issue with gluten like celiacs (which sounds like you), then yeah - going gluten free has its benefits. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I don't know. Honestly I am no expert in nutrition or weight loss. This low carb thing was done before with the Atkin's diet several years ago with questionable results and health concerns.

As a person that has been dealing with weight issues, I have had more luck just limiting my caloric intake and exercising more. I can still eat things I enjoy but just have to not eat as much of them. Personally I feel like it is easier to eat smaller amounts of things I enjoy as opposed to not eating them at all and feel like I am punishing myself if that makes sense. Some foods just taste better than others.

With that said, I have included more fish as a protein and more vegetables in my diet. Doing so as well as being more active and exercising more, I've lost about 15 LBS over the last 6 months. Sure that isn't amazing but I still can enjoy eating hamburgers, pizza and other foods I enjoy from time to time. :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote