Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring forward
Am I the only person that dislikes these "spring forward, fall back" moves? I know the purpose for Daylight savings time is to give us more evening sunlight, but why?

It was worse when I lived in Muncie IN. Parts of the state changed and parts did not. They also have a town that is split by a time zone and I think one side observed daylight savings time and the other did not.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 11:55 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Am I the only person that dislikes these "spring forward, fall back" moves? I know the purpose for Daylight savings time is to give us more evening sunlight, but why?

It was worse when I lived in Muncie IN. Parts of the state changed and parts did not. They also have a town that is split by a time zone and I think one side observed daylight savings time and the other did not.

And then theres the annoyance of trying to remember/ figure out how to change the time on all the digital devices! Ive got this cool digital watch but its a pain in ass to change anything on it.
Reply/Quote
The whole thing is stupid and no one will ever convince me otherwise. Some wig heads thought it would be funny to screw with people, that's all.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 12:36 PM)kalibengal Wrote:
And then theres the annoyance of trying to remember/ figure out how to change the time on all the digital devices!
Ive got this cool digital watch but its a pain in ass to change anything on it.

I have several that have a setting for DST on/off.  The funny thing is, toggling it doesn't actually alter the time, it only makes DST display or not.

Many states have passed resolutions to end this pain in the ass, but it can't go into effect without a vast majority of states agreeing to do the same.  WTS, there is a bill being introduced into the current Congress to abolish the change.  I pray it passes and goes into effect immediately.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 11:55 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Am I the only person that dislikes these "spring forward, fall back" moves? I know the purpose for Daylight savings time is to give us more evening sunlight, but why?

In the early 1900's electric lighting was a large part of the energy consumption. Adjusting the clocks so they had extra hours of daylight in the evening was a smart move.

Present Day lights are barely a fraction of the worldwide engery consumption so DST is a very outdated practice.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
The concept made sense when it was introduced in my opinion, but is just annoying to most now. I do love the longer evenings, so I'm in the happier half of the year now. I don't think gaining or losing an hour of sleep makes much difference, and it takes me all of 2 minutes to change all of my clocks (especially since half of the devices - even cars - will update automatically). But I hear a lot of people complain about it twice a year, and I think it's time to keep our clocks permanently in DST.

One thing to keep in mind is that is not just a US issue. DST is also observed in other parts of the world. Given the amount of international business that occurs, it's really a decision that should be made globally so as not to upset the already challenging time zone differences further.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:48 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: The concept made sense when it was introduced in my opinion, but is just annoying to most now.  I do love the longer evenings, so I'm in the happier half of the year now.  I don't think gaining or losing an hour of sleep makes much difference, and it takes me all of 2 minutes to change all of my clocks (especially since half of the devices - even cars - will update automatically).  But I hear a lot of people complain about it twice a year, and I think it's time to keep our clocks permanently in DST.

One thing to keep in mind is that is not just a US issue.  DST is also observed in other parts of the world.  Given the amount of international business that occurs, it's really a decision that should be made globally so as not to upset the already challenging time zone differences further.

Many doctors say that people drastically underestimate the damage it does to your body while your circadian is out of whack for several days.
Reply/Quote

You are definitely not the only person Bfine LMAO! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 10:27 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Many doctors say that people drastically underestimate the damage it does to your body while your circadian is out of whack for several days.

I guess all of the work travel I've done around the US to different time zones and even some trips out of the country have me accustomed to changing my body clock regularly and I just don't notice it.  An hour twice a year is not a big deal to me, but I know it does really throw some people off.  

The real point I was trying to make was that there are economic and social considerations for doing away with the change that make it a bigger issue globally.  
Reply/Quote

The town your speaking of is my town of Union City. We called it fast time and slow time  growing up and often gave us an excuse when coming home an hour late while visiting friends on the Indiana side. Union City is about 30 miles straight east of Muncie so doubt you've probably traveled through it a time or two. However, some time ago, Indiana start observing daylight savings time so now the time changes in both states (except for a few northwest counties in Indiana close to Chicago).

As for enjoying it or not, I do like DST because it gives extra daylight (or so it seems). However, in mid June/July when it doesn't get dark until 930-10pm, that's when I don't like it. Plus I dislike when the time changes twice a year because it just throws me off for a few days and it takes some adjustment.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 02:52 PM)Takedown Wrote: The whole thing is stupid and no one will ever convince me otherwise. Some wig heads thought it would be funny to screw with people, that's all.

Actually, if I remember correctly, it was to help farmers have extra daylight (which in threory, makes no sense because the days don't get longer because of a time change) and also helped those who worked outdoors like construction, etc.

Reply/Quote
In the immortal words of my old man..Wait'll you get to be my age and don't have to even think about what time it is.. I work for myself so it's a non-factor. So twice a year I have to adjust my watch! OMG! The tragedy of it all! I have to pull out a tiny little stem and twist it! Next thing you'll know is I might have to clean my glasses every few days!  Shocked As for clocks around the house I don't pay attention to them either even though I am a bit of a clock collector nut..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 04:28 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I have several that have a setting for DST on/off.  The funny thing is, toggling it doesn't actually alter the time, it only makes DST display or not.

Many states have passed resolutions to end this pain in the ass, but it can't go into effect without a vast majority of states agreeing to do the same.  WTS, there is a bill being introduced into the current Congress to abolish the change.  I pray it passes and goes into effect immediately.

Only 2 places in NA have NOT agreed to it; New York and Quebec.

If they change, then all of NA will change.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote