Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stability...its boring but its better than the alternative
(12-03-2015, 07:16 PM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: Isn't that what they did with Mike Holmgrem though?

I was a little nervous because I thought they were finally going to build something in Cleveland when they gave him the keys. I can't really remember how that ended though. Probably wasn't pretty considering the franchise. That probably is still their best bet. I'm not even sure how they're going to lure anyone like that back into their fold though.

Holmgren was the last president before Haslam bought the team. Holmgren didn't last a year with Haslam in charge. When Holmgren took over you could see that the game had passed him by. He flat out overruled the whole draft room to take Colt McCoy in 2010. Then he panicked in 2012 and just took Brandon Weeden. They wanted Kendal Wright so bad that year. Also, signing Pat Shurmur was an awful move. Very few people praised that move.

There's something about Cleveland that just saps all football intelligence out of a person.

(12-04-2015, 02:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Not to mention Mike Brown wasn't going to change anything after 2010 (er, right?).  He was going to keep everything the same and we'd roll into 2011 with Marvin, Palmer, Ocho, Bratkowski, Mike making all the decisions, and so on and so forth.

Pretty much. People ***** about Carson, but his holdout is what brought change here. Firing Brat was basically a ploy to get him to come back. That seemed to be Mike Brown's wake up call.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 09:53 AM)sonofstat Wrote: "If Austin Davis starts Sunday, he is 15th Browns QB to start vs. Marvin Lewis Bengals in 26 games"  Geoff Hobson

That's a ridiculous stat.  How can you consistently win with a revolving door at QB/Head coach?

I know at times the conservative nature of Mike Brown/M Lewis has frustrated me but there's a lot to be said for sticking with your vision and the people you hired or drafted.  Just changing things up every 5 minutes never seems to work out and every change brings another rebuilding cycle of hiring /firing.

Apart from injury cover (Fitzmagic) Marvin will probably only have had 2 QB's in Palmer and Dalton by the time he is done as head coach...dread to think how many Browns QB's he'll have faced by the time he is done.

That's easy to say when you aren't starting the turds the Browns have been starting.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 06:27 PM)Utts Wrote: That's easy to say when you aren't starting the turds the Browns have been starting.

True but to many fans on these boards Dalton was a turd.

You have to be patient and trust the process.

Sure the Bengals picked a good one.
But they also did not panic like the fanbase when things did not fall our way.

Dalton is rewarding the patience.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 05:18 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Pretty much. People ***** about Carson, but his holdout is what brought change here. Firing Brat was basically a ploy to get him to come back. That seemed to be Mike Brown's wake up call.

People also forget Marvin and Palmer both went to Mike Brown and threatened to walk away after 2010 if changes weren't made.  Mike Brown prior to that was the definition of bad stability.  Somewhere between a new QB and HC every year and giving Dave Shula 100 times more rope than he needed to hang himself sounds optimal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The rumor surrounding the Browns now is that they want to blow everything up again, and go after Urban Meyer. According to the rumor on Ohio State and Browns sites, Haslam wants to make Meyer the highest paid NFL coach, give him complete control of the front office, and a minority share of the the team...

You know, because destroying a single fanbase just isn't enough for the Factory of Sadness. They want to destroy Cleveland AND Columbus....

Link to one of the rumor articles
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 09:53 AM)sonofstat Wrote: "If Austin Davis starts Sunday, he is 15th Browns QB to start vs. Marvin Lewis Bengals in 26 games"  Geoff Hobson

That's a ridiculous stat.  How can you consistently win with a revolving door at QB/Head coach?

I know at times the conservative nature of Mike Brown/M Lewis has frustrated me but there's a lot to be said for sticking with your vision and the people you hired or drafted.  Just changing things up every 5 minutes never seems to work out and every change brings another rebuilding cycle of hiring /firing.

Apart from injury cover (Fitzmagic) Marvin will probably only have had 2 QB's in Palmer and Dalton by the time he is done as head coach...dread to think how many Browns QB's he'll have faced by the time he is done.

The Browns are the Browns though and their ownership is too spastic to stick with anything long enough to find out if it will work or not.

Mike Brown of the 90's was the worst ownership in all of professional sports for more than a decade. Finally got it right, which is a credit to his persistence.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote