Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stack the Defense early mock
Goal is to try to get one side of the team (the Defense) to a Super bowl Caliber level with this Draft.
A Draft Defense early and Offense later concept.

1. Malik Hooker (Safety Ohio State) - 6 foot 2 inches tall 205 pounds
                                     Easily catches whatever is around him with GREAT range. Drawing comparisons to Ed Reed. 
                                     Shawn Williams can play in more Nickel packages & we become deep at Safety. With Hooker
                                     and William Jackson III added to this year's secondary, it becomes elite.

2. Jordan Willis - (Defensive End Kansas State) 6 foot 4 inches tall 255 pounds
                                      Ran a 4.53 forty at 6 foot 4 and around 255 pounds.  Get the young speed with strength we
                                      need on the edge to help rush the passer.

3. Carlos Watkins (Defensive Tackle Clemson) 6 foot 3 inches tall 310 pounds
                                      Add more Youth and talent to the defensive tackle position to ensure a smooth transition with 
                                      Peko's departure. Andrew Billings and Carlos Watkins compete for starting time and in rotation.

4.a. Sidney Jones (Corner Washington) 6 foot tall 186 pounds
                                      Torn Achilles has this 1st round talent out for next season but available here. We take him and
                                      let him heal up making it real easy to let Pac Man leave after this season.

4. b. Daeshon Hall (Defensive End Texas A&M)  6 foot 5 inches tall, 266 pounds
                                       Add a second young edge pass rusher this Draft to go with Jordan Willis.

* I felt our Linebacker core is good enough and Shawn Williams may play more Nickel package linebacker per Paul Guenther with Malik Hooker's Greatness added.

* The rest of the Draft Offensive Line coach Paul Alexander and the Offensive side of the ball could garnish the Majority of the remaining Draft picks. This would set up the 2018 Draft to be a Stack the Offense early concept with our defensive roster stacked this Draft. Any shortfalls on the Offensive side can be helped with another bargain Veteran Free agent after the draft say a Guard or Center or Tackle.

* I'm going to do a Stack the Offense early Mock in a day or so & then a normal Blended (offense & defense early) mock later.
Reply/Quote
I like this - I would be surprised if Hooker is there, but if he is he would be an immediate upgrade.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 01:21 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I like this - I would be surprised if Hooker is there, but if he is he would be an immediate upgrade.

Thanks

It may not be purely Best Player Available since it focuses only on Defense early but it commits to a Goal of bringing the Defense to an Elite level.
The Offense could get Focused on early in 2018 with a similar Goal of making it Elite.
Drafting both sides of the ball early may be keeping one side from becoming Elite.
Once you get one side Elite then you are Free to Focus on the other.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 01:21 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I like this - I would be surprised if Hooker is there, but if he is he would be an immediate upgrade.

I'm hearing Hooker could go at #7 to the Chargers since they have lost some Safeties recently.
The Chargers may go in a different direction though.

I'd say 40% chance he could be there when we pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 01:44 PM)depthchart Wrote: I'm hearing Hooker could go at #7 to the Chargers since they have lost some Safeties recently.
The Chargers may go in a different direction though.

I'd say 40% chance he could be there when we pick.

The spots that worry me:

Tennessee - they picked up Cyprien, but they could use a free safety
NY Jets - They didn't pick up Pryors option
Chargers - He'd be a great fit, but the Chargers don't seem to be a team that uses a top ten pick on a safety.
Reply/Quote
Rock On  
Reply/Quote