Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Stadium Rankings
(09-16-2020, 12:24 PM)Earendil Wrote: I see you live in Denver. Have you been to Invesco?!?  I was there in Dec 2007 during one of the blizzards that year and it took me two weeks to feel my toes afterward.  I lived in Fort Collins for 14 years and that game was one of the top 3 coldest experiences of my life. The other two were mornings when the temps were around -25 degrees.

By cold I meant emotionally, although I have been to some really cold games at PBS.  The concrete and steel just feel very empty and uninviting as an atmosphere.  

Invesco... it hasn't been sponsored by them in about a decade, so I know how long it's been since you were there!  I've been to the stadium and down on the field with a former employer's summer picnic, but I've never attended a game there.  Given its un-sheltered location from the wind whipping down and off the mountains, I'm not surprised it can be a cold place on the wrong day! 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 11:23 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Football is an outdoor sport. Only wimps, ******* and girls want or need to play indoors. Mellow

EDIT: really? '*******' is a bad word? It's just a flower. Ninja

About 1/3 of the league plays home games indoors.

Lions
Saints
Vikings
Cardinals
Cowboys
Texans
Colts
Falcons
Raiders
Rams
Chargers

While you are taking this perspective from a player POV as being wimps or whatever, look at it from a fan POV. Being in a climate-controlled environment removes need to worry about rain and wind, and wearing a crazy amount of layers when it's very cold. More enjoyable experience for many fans.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 12:36 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: - The guy who used to write for the Enquirer, I think; he was a complete turd, a-hole and a self-professed Stooler fan. He writes for them now and I can't for the life of me remember his name.

Was he before or after Joe Reedy?
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 12:36 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: - Ken Broo was meh
Ken Broo is best served on radio.

He's probably my favorite guy on 700, whether he's covering sports or not.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 12:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Was he before or after Joe Reedy?

Joe Reedy, that's the guy!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 12:39 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: By cold I meant emotionally, although I have been to some really cold games at PBS.  The concrete and steel just feel very empty and uninviting as an atmosphere.  

Invesco... it hasn't been sponsored by them in about a decade, so I know how long it's been since you were there!  I've been to the stadium and down on the field with a former employer's summer picnic, but I've never attended a game there.  Given its un-sheltered location from the wind whipping down and off the mountains, I'm not surprised it can be a cold place on the wrong day! 

Gotcha, that makes sense.

I forgot that Invesco changed names, the last time I was there was that game in 2007.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 12:17 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Not even close to true. Ben is a great follow on Twitter, he posts about Texas a lot, sure, that’s his home. He also is waaaay more into the Bengals than the last ESPN writer. He’s constantly asking about spots to visit and eat in Cincy, is a huge premier league and boxing fan too.

As to the OP, I’d like to see a retractable roof retrofitted on PBS, not just for the football, but so other events can be held there year round. And no more taxpayer funding, the Brown/Blackburns are wealthy enough to pay for upgrades.

All you really saying is he is a polished turd, better than the last guy shouldn't be a benchmark...
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
PBS was originally designed to have a canopy look. Not a dome but with some coverings. I don't know if that was an expense thing or maybe a fear of snow thing that they omitted that design.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 12:36 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Now we have:

- Dehner is good (still has me blocked on Twitter)
- Jay Morrison is good.
- Ben Baby is awesome
- Tyler Dragon is good.
- Saho's ok
- Lapham has become much more involved recently and weird questions or not, guy is great to listen to.
- Marisa Contipelli is getting better and better.
- Jeremy Rauch is ok.
- James Rapien is beyond awesome

Have a really good group of reporters right now.

Dehner puts up with a lot, you must have really done something to get blocked, lol.
Agree to disagree on Ben Baby
James is ok, I like that he genuinely likes the Bengals but his takes (especially on Locked On) are just to speculative for me, I love the positivity but sometimes he just needs to tone it back a notch or two for my personal tastes. 
Tyler Dragon is ungodly boring, I literally skip over anything I see of his and find Paul or Jay's take on it.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 11:34 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don't think it's a bad stadium. It's really hard to find a bad seat. Other than the prices, which every stadium is sky high, I really don't have a problem with it. I have noticed the north endzone get's a lot of wind, which sucks in the winter for a fan thats had the blood thinned from alcohol all day. I like the souvenir shop too.

The visibility is great for the most part, I agree there. The atmosphere outside before games and inside during is what really needs some upgrades, i.e the same thing we always talk about here, ROH, museum, etc. I plan on taking my son to his first game when he turns 7 and I would love to spend some time tailgating a little and then do some kids activities and visit an in-stadium museum before the game starts. I actually wrote Mikey B a letter asking him to please put these kind of things in to improve the experience and celebrate the legacy of the team. 
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 11:53 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: No, we most certainly do not.

Signed: Someone who actually lives here and pays these taxes.

You should want it then. Put on your business hat and think of how much revenue is added by concerts and events all year long. Those bring in money from the suburbs of Ohio, Indiana and KY. More revenue means it pays for itself in increased tax revenue also.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 02:14 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: All you really saying is he is a polished turd, better than the last guy shouldn't be a benchmark...

My point was the last writer, Terrell, was actually like what you are prescribing to Baby. She never showed interest in the city, the players or the fans. Baby is constantly talking about those things and interacting with fans.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 02:34 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: My point was the last writer, Terrell, was actually like what you are prescribing to Baby. She never showed interest in the city, the players or the fans. Baby is constantly talking about those things and interacting with fans.

Ok fair enough, I just read his interactions more as a comparison to what he likes in TX. I can see your point though.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 02:20 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Dehner puts up with a lot, you must have really done something to get blocked, lol.
James is ok, I like that he genuinely likes the Bengals but his takes (especially on Locked On) are just to speculative for me, I love the positivity but sometimes he just needs to tone it back a notch or two for my personal tastes. 
Tyler Dragon is ungodly boring, I literally skip over anything I see of his and find Paul or Jay's take on it.

LOL agree on Tyler! His writing is competent though and while his delivery is super dry, he asks decent-enough questions on PCs.

For Dehner, he tweeted last year, "it's depressing being in this building," (PBS, IE he was depressed about the season, I guess).

So I wrote, with absolutely no snark or condescension, "then why not look for a new job if it's so depressing?" Aaaand he blocked me lol.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 02:20 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Dehner puts up with a lot, you must have really done something to get blocked, lol.

Rapien is from Cincinnati. He's always been a Bengals fan.
I've met him (at a wedding, not a sporting event), and he's just a genuinely positive, fun dude to be around.
So your take on his positivity is more just his personality in general, not really his sports take.

I think we all miss Jim Owczarski, as he actually even came on these forums to interact with fans.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 02:34 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: My point was the last writer, Terrell, was actually like what you are prescribing to Baby. She never showed interest in the city, the players or the fans. Baby is constantly talking about those things and interacting with fans.

100%. And plain, so plain; he writing was plain, her takes were plain, she also is incredibly plain-looking lol.

(09-16-2020, 02:35 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Ok fair enough, I just read his interactions more as a comparison to what he likes in TX. I can see your point though.

What I wrote about her is what he was talking about; I think at first, Ben was like that and it seemed he didn't care much, but since I sent him that tweet and looked into more of his past back and forth with fans, I truly think he's started to come around and is beginning to enjoy himself.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 02:35 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Ok fair enough, I just read his interactions more as a comparison to what he likes in TX. I can see your point though.

I think a lot of us do that when we’re someplace new. Make comparisons to what we are familiar with. I don’t expect him to stick around very long, just seems to be the way of the ESPN beat writer, but I think the longer he is in Cincy, the more of his own knowledge and experiences with the team and city will show in his writing and he won’t have to reference Texas as much.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 12:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: About 1/3 of the league plays home games indoors.

Lions
Saints
Vikings
Cardinals
Cowboys
Texans
Colts
Falcons
Raiders
Rams
Chargers

While you are taking this perspective from a player POV as being wimps or whatever, look at it from a fan POV. Being in a climate-controlled environment removes need to worry about rain and wind, and wearing a crazy amount of layers when it's very cold. More enjoyable experience for many fans.

Bunch of 'flowery' teams. And I ain't no flower. I'm a member of the team galldangit! If the team plays outside, I'm watching them outside. Go inside ya flower. Keep your delicate leaves safe from the mean ol outdoors.

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 03:01 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Bunch of 'flowery' teams. And I ain't no flower. I'm a member of the team galldangit! If the team plays outside, I'm watching them outside. Go inside ya flower. Keep your delicate leaves safe from the mean ol outdoors.

Mellow

I don’t know about all that, but I think the game is more fun when weather is involved. I miss the old muddy games before everybody went to artificial turf.

I just think a retractable roof would be good for other events and wouldn’t need a practice bubble.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 03:06 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I don’t know about all that, but I think the game is more fun when weather is involved. I miss the old muddy games before everybody when’s to artificial turf.

I just think a retractable roof would be good for other events and wouldn’t need a practice bubble.

Congratulations. You're a MAN! You ain't no flower. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote