Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stafford's legacy
I can't remember a time when one game could make such a big difference in the legacy of a player.

Over a 7 year stretch from 2011 to 2017 only Drew Brees had more passing yards than Stafford and only 4 QBs had more tds. Matthew accomplished this despite being sacked more often than any other QB in the league.

During that span the Lions ranked dead last in rushing yards and their defense ranked 20th in points allowed. But with Stafford at QB they had a winning record and made the playoffs 3 times. In fact Stafford led all QBs in "4th quarter comebacks" and "4th quarter game winning drives" from '11 through '17.

Currently Stafford is 2nd in career passing yards per game among active QBs yet his name never comes up in discussions of the best QBs in the league.

But all of that will change if he wins this Super Bowl. He is still just 33 years old and is 12th in league history in passing yards and tds. This year he had over 4800 yards and 40 tds. If he stays healthy and wins this ring he is looking at becoming a Hall-of-Fame QB.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 03:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I can't remember a time when one game could make such a big difference in the legacy of a player.

Over a 7 year stretch from 2011 to 2017 only Drew Brees had more passing yards than Stafford and only 4 QBs had more tds.  Matthew accomplished this despite being sacked more often than any other QB in the league.

During that span the Lions ranked dead last in rushing yards and their defense ranked 20th in points allowed.  But with Stafford at QB they had a winning record and made the playoffs 3 times.  In fact Stafford led all QBs in "4th quarter comebacks" and "4th quarter game winning drives" from '11 through '17.

Currently Stafford is 2nd in career passing yards per game among active QBs yet his name never comes up in discussions of the best QBs in the league.

But all of that will change if he wins this Super Bowl.  He is still just 33 years old and is 12th in league history in passing yards and tds.  This year he had over 4800 yards and 40 tds.  If he stays healthy and wins this ring he is looking at becoming a Hall-of-Fame QB.

I think if Stafford wins the Super Bowl, a lot of people will say the Detroit franchise held him back for so many years.
Heck, you might even be able to say that even if he loses the Super Bowl, but it might help to have a couple more years in LA to really make that determination.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 03:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think if Stafford wins the Super Bowl, a lot of people will say the Detroit franchise held him back for so many years.
Heck, you might even be able to say that even if he loses the Super Bowl, but it might help to have a couple more years in LA to really make that determination.

Personally, I don't think there's any question they held him back. Look what they did when they had Barry Sanders. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 03:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: Personally, I don't think there's any question they held him back. Look what they did when they had Barry Sanders. 

I just don't know how a franchise continues to put out such a bad team for so long.
They seem to go against the grain on so many aspects.
They let go of Jim Caldwell, who miraculously had 3 winning seasons out of 4 there. The only losing season was 7-9.
They never seem to get a good enough running game nowadays, and their defense is almost always terrible.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I dont understand the hate for stafford. As in, people think he was never worth a damn because he never won a playoff game there in Detroit

that organization is THE bottom of the barrel, and made Sanders and Megatron retire early

Stafford should be praised for the work he did up there
Reply/Quote
My Wife's a Lions fan and I've lived in Michigan since 2014, so I'm very familiar with Stafford. Borderline elite QB. Always felt like he was leading the Lions to miracle comebacks in the 4th quarter. Great arm. Both he and his wife are extremely likeable people as well.

That said, he's kinda like Carson Palmer with his knack for INTs. He's averaged 14.2 picks per 16 games played.

Btw, if you want a thread to stay in JN, you should find a way to link it to the Bengals. You can't just make a thread gushing over the Rams QB and post it to JN just because we're playing the Rams.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I always liked him as a player and I'm glad that he has found success with a good team and coaching around him. He is indeed a very good QB. With that said he's leading the NFL in INTs this year. I will have no problem if he adds to that total on Sunday. :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 03:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I just don't know how a franchise continues to put out such a bad team for so long.
They seem to go against the grain on so many aspects.
They let go of Jim Caldwell, who miraculously had 3 winning seasons out of 4 there. The only losing season was 7-9.
They never seem to get a good enough running game nowadays, and their defense is almost always terrible.

It's actually quite astonishing when you look at the whole picture. Worse than our lost decade.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 04:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: It's actually quite astonishing when you look at the whole picture. Worse than our lost decade.

Lions and Browns both have had worse "eras" than the Bengals had in the 90's, arguably.
Lions only had one winning season the past 20(!) years aside from Caldwell's seasons.
2011 under Schwartz.
That's it.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 04:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Lions and Browns both have had worse "eras" than the Bengals had in the 90's, arguably.
Lions only had one winning season the past 20(!) years aside from Caldwell's seasons.
2011 under Schwartz.
That's it.

Holy cow....I knew it was bad, but not that bad!!! 

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 04:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: Holy cow....I knew it was bad, but not that bad!!! 

Browns have actually had fewer winning seasons the past 20 years than the Lions.
Lions had 4 including Caldwell's 3.
Browns have had 3 - 2002 (9-7), 2007 (10-6), and 2020 (11-5).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 04:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Browns have actually had fewer winning seasons the past 20 years than the Lions.
Lions had 4 including Caldwell's 3.
Browns have had 3 - 2002 (9-7), 2007 (10-6), and 2020 (11-5).

And let's also remember the Browns and Lions share the title for going 0-16.  :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 03:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: Personally, I don't think there's any question they held him back. Look what they did when they had Barry Sanders. 

I agree and this is how I see it as well. The lions never seem to have a defense or offensive line, how can any QB or RB succeed?
Reply/Quote
Detroit Lions: The great Ford Family Legacy  Sick Sad
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Stafford's numbers in Detroit were easy to dismiss, but the guy getting a ring the 1st year he's off that terrible franchise has really swung public opinion, I'd say.
Reply/Quote
He's a very good QB that needs the pieces around him to be great for him to win. Which is what most QBs need.
Rams arguably have the best offensive line, best defense (at least pass rush), and the best WR in the game. I don't think this championship gets him in the HOF alone but I do think he gets there eventually.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

60 years of Ford family stink. 
Reply/Quote