Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stanley Morgan Jr. Went Undrafted? WHY?
Being that Morgan is a very seasoned and reliable pass catcher, I would assume that he has a rather good shot at making the roster.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 01:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: By 'good' I'm talking high quality starter. I'd imagine a lot of UDFA's are special teams guys as they are so cheap. But, yeah...you might find a James Harrison every now and then.

You do bring up an interesting point with the percentages. I wonder how many percent of our roster is UDFA's?

Erickson is one. Hopkins. Redmond. Am I missing any?

Nickerson.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 01:29 PM)Lucidus Wrote: Being that Morgan is a very seasoned and reliable pass catcher, I would assume that he has a rather good shot at making the roster.

If he catches passes in Games hes already ahead of Tate.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 11:16 AM)Au165 Wrote:  In 2017 of players that contributed at least 40% of their teams plays UDFA's were higher than the 5-7 rounds combined and only trailed behind the 1st round

These numbers are a little deceptive because teams sign 10-15 UDFA but usually only take one player per each draft round

(05-08-2019, 01:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: By 'good' I'm talking high quality starter. I'd imagine a lot of UDFA's are special teams guys as they are so cheap. But, yeah...you might find a James Harrison every now and then.

Since '09 eighty-one undrafted players have been selected to the Pro Bowl.  I assume a bunch of these guys are special teams selections but there are also a lot of big name stars like Tony Romo, Cameron Wake, Jason Peters, London Fletcher, Arian Foster, Wes Welker, Brent Grimes, Antonio Gates, Michael Bennett, James Harrison, Jeff Saturday, Josh Cribbs, Doug Baldwin, Adam Thielen,  C. J. Anderson, A.J. Bouye, Victor Cruz, Tyson Clabo, and Vontz Burfict
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 02:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: These numbers are a little deceptive because teams sign 10-15 UDFA but usually only take one player per each draft round

Since '09 eighty-one undrafted players have been selected to the Pro Bowl.  I assume a bunch of these guys are special teams selections but there are also a lot of big name stars like Tony Romo, Cameron Wake, Jason Peters, London Fletcher, Arian Foster, Wes Welker, Brent Grimes, Antonio Gates, Michael Bennett, James Harrison, Jeff Saturday, Josh Cribbs, Doug Baldwin, Adam Thielen,  C. J. Anderson, A.J. Bouye, Victor Cruz, Tyson Clabo, and Vontz Burfict

That's very interesting.

I wonder if they would have gotten drafted if the draft was 8 rounds? That would be what another 32 guys? Seems like teams bring dozens of free agents in each.
Reply/Quote
2019 Wide Receivers:

AJ Green
Tyler Boyd
John Ross
Josh Malone
Alex Erickson
Stanley Morgan Jr.

If they keep 7:
Auden Tate
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 02:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: These numbers are a little deceptive because teams sign 10-15 UDFA but usually only take one player per each draft round

Good information.
Reply/Quote
every team thought he was Stanley Wilson and got scared
Reply/Quote
My inside sources tell me that there was just too much comparable late round talent at the position. Similar prospects included Fargo Wells, Lynch Meryll, Morgan Jaypee, Roup Citig, and Sachs Goldman.   

Some teams fell in love with Jaypee's size, while others preferred the nickel-and-dime approach of Lynch Meryll. Some even preferred Fargo Wells's brazen approach, believing that his style is more fiesty than outright dirty. Stanley Morgan's style is more high stakes, involving careful planning of his routes with more risk/reward for each transactio...er...route run, planning for the maximum long-term gain for each snap.

I think that we all can all agree that Stanley Morgan's salary was a wise investment, and you can take that to the bank!

Ninja Jerry Ninja Ninja Ninja
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 02:57 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: With the increased knowledge of concussions, the size of the rosters need to be increased and the draft needs to go at least one more round, maybe two. They give out 32 comp picks every year, it's pretty much an eight round draft anyway. Wasn't Krumrie an 11th round pick?

The number of rounds is part of the collective bargaining agreement. The players union wants fewer rounds and the reduction to 7 rounds was because of their demands.

The draft had been 12 rounds for several years until 1993 when it went to 8, then 7 in 1994.

In those days it seemed like less was known about the players so it wasn't uncommon to find a starter in the late rounds. We took Doug Pelfry in the 8th round, we took Kimo von Oelhoffen at the top of the 6th round. Gus Frerotte, Elvis Grbac and Trent Green were all taken in the 7th round or later and became NFL starting QBs.

Reply/Quote
One thing about Morgan is he is a pretty solid blocker. I feel like he was somewhat hindered by the QB play and the team not really being suited to the coach's scheme.

Morgan doesn't have athleticism that jumps off the page (although he does have very good vertical and long jump explosiveness).

He reminded me a lot of Deebo Samuel. They have very similar numbers at the combine, with Morgan doing slightly better at the 3 cone drill and the 20 yard shuttle. These drills are often ignored in favor of the all-important 40 yard dash. Samuel went a 4.48 and Morgan went a 4.51.

Samuel also had a bit of injury history before staying healthy in 2018.

Samuel went in the 2nd round to the 49ers.

Morgan strikes me as a backup slot WR to Boyd with Erickson as the so-called jack of all trades that can line up anywhere. I think the slot WR will be a very important position and must have great hands and toughness. That is definitely Morgan.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 07:40 PM)OSUfan Wrote: 2019 Wide Receivers:

AJ Green
Tyler Boyd
John Ross
Josh Malone
Alex Erickson
Stanley Morgan Jr.

If they keep 7:
Auden Tate

I'd be behind that.

Under Marvin they seemed to love Core. I think it's time to move on from him. Malone needs to start producing sooner than later too.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 10:25 AM)Au165 Wrote: He was just a "guy" coming out, a solid player that if you took the name and number off the jersey he'd look like a handful of other guys. There tends to be a lot of those types in the 5th and beyond but sometimes they end up being really good pro's. It's not that they are bad they just don't posses any singular skill that makes them stand out.

I agree, I think he could be a nice mid to back of the roster guy who adds some stability.

I read somewhere that several GMs have said that there isn't a lot of difference, talent-wise, between 6th rounders, 7th rounders and UDFAs. They said it is a "guessing game" anyway, at that point and you might like one guy slightly better than another so you take a 7th round flyer on the first guy but try to sign the other guy as a UDFA.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 02:09 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: My inside sources tell me that there was just too much comparable late round talent at the position. Similar prospects included Fargo Wells, Lynch Meryll, Morgan Jaypee, Roup Citig, and Sachs Goldman.   

Some teams fell in love with Jaypee's size, while others preferred the nickel-and-dime approach of Lynch Meryll. Some even preferred Fargo Wells's brazen approach, believing that his style is more fiesty than outright dirty. Stanley Morgan's style is more high stakes, involving careful planning of his routes with more risk/reward for each transactio...er...route run, planning for the maximum long-term gain for each snap.

I think that we all can all agree that Stanley Morgan's salary was a wise investment, and you can take that to the bank!

Ninja Jerry Ninja Ninja Ninja

I view Morgan Jaypee more as an owner type.

[Image: J.P._Morgan_cph.3a02120.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Here is a cool video about him touching on his time at Nebraska, his love for blocking, and his work ethic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni-S2154lpk&ab_channel=STACK
Reply/Quote
He looks like a good prospect. Seems we draft a guy like this late every year, doesn't it? Malone, Core, Tate, Briscoe, etc.
Reply/Quote
My sources tell me he went undrafted because no team drafted him.

Is he a good prospect - who the hell knows; he could be the next Core a guy who sits on the PS that everyone wants to see on the filed until he gets on the filed and everyone wants to cut him.

Or, he could be a steal.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 02:19 AM)BengalChris Wrote: The number of rounds is part of the collective bargaining agreement. The players union wants fewer rounds and the reduction to 7 rounds was because of their demands.

I can see how it benefits the players.

With 12 rounds a team that needs a WR may draft 3 or 4 knowing they will only keep one.  That means a lot of guys are getting drafted by teams that don't really need them.  Teams that need WRs may still sign 3 or 4 UDFAs knowing they will keep only one, but the players have the chance to look around and see where they have the best shot of sticking.
Reply/Quote
I don 't know anything about Morgan, but I am not making any predictions about who makes the roster after our top 4 (Green, Boyd, Ross, Erickson)

I watched Malone play in college and I thought we got a great deal on him in the 4th round. But after 2 years and no production he is definitely on the bubble.
Reply/Quote
Good kid. This is worth the watch. VIDEO
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote