Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Wars Reactions (Spoilers)
(12-19-2017, 03:04 PM)Benton Wrote: I thought those went up when Yoda torched the tree?

They did. The Jedi are no longer. That was kind of the point. You don't need to be a Jedi to know and understand the force and to use it in a way for the good. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 03:04 PM)Benton Wrote: I thought those went up when Yoda torched the tree?

(12-19-2017, 03:14 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They did. The Jedi are no longer. That was kind of the point. You don't need to be a Jedi to know and understand the force and to use it in a way for the good. 

I could be wrong, but I thought I spied Rey zipping up a bag that had the texts in it when they were boarding the Millennium Falcon at the end of the film.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 03:14 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They did. The Jedi are no longer. That was kind of the point. You don't need to be a Jedi to know and understand the force and to use it in a way for the good. 

And I think that this is where the divide is with the audience reaction. And the more and more I think about it, and I'll have to see it again, the more I like it. 

Luke's "This isn't going to go as you think" line might be directed towards the audience as much as anyone. Johnson's take on the series flew against a lot of established themes of the series:

The force is something that connects everyone and everything. Not exclusive to a select amount of people and due to midichlorian count. 

You don't have to be a Skywalker to be special.

Speaking of Skywalkers, Luke isn't some perfect, incorruptible person. 

The Jedi from the prequel were idiots, not the ideal. It would be stupid to try and get back to that. 

Basically, the Last Jedi is a message to audiences that the same old tropes that Lucas marched out there aren't going to be sticking around. That will certainly have a portion of fans up in arms, and understandably so. But to me Johnson's takes Star Wars in a new direction, rather unapologetically. Some will see that as a slap to the face of the series, but I think it is a welcome change. 

But I still want a badass lightsaber duel god dammit! Smirk
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 05:05 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: And I think that this is where the divide is with the audience reaction. And the more and more I think about it, and I'll have to see it again, the more I like it. 

Luke's "This isn't going to go as you think" line might be directed towards the audience as much as anyone. Johnson's take on the series flew against a lot of established themes of the series:

The force is something that connects everyone and everything. Not exclusive to a select amount of people and due to midichlorian count. 

You don't have to be a Skywalker to be special.

Speaking of Skywalkers, Luke isn't some perfect, incorruptible person. 

The Jedi from the prequel were idiots, not the ideal. It would be stupid to try and get back to that. 

Basically, the Last Jedi is a message to audiences that the same old tropes that Lucas marched out there aren't going to be sticking around. That will certainly have a portion of fans up in arms, and understandably so. But to me Johnson's takes Star Wars in a new direction, rather unapologetically. Some will see that as a slap to the face of the series, but I think it is a welcome change. 

But I still want a badass lightsaber duel god dammit! Smirk

I agree. As a purist, I hate it. To each their own, though. 
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 04:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: I could be wrong, but I thought I spied Rey zipping up a bag that had the texts in it when they were boarding the Millennium Falcon at the end of the film.

Ah, you are right. I even remember seeing that but didnt put two and two together. Good catch. 

https://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Did-Rey-Save-Jedi-Texts-Star-Wars-Last-Jedi-44363335
Reply/Quote
That dude speaks a better english than me.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 04:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: I could be wrong, but I thought I spied Rey zipping up a bag that had the texts in it when they were boarding the Millennium Falcon at the end of the film.

Ah, guessed I missed that.

Then that Yoda scene makes even less sense. Either he didn't know the books weren't in the tree and set it on fire because he thought they were, or he knew they were and set the tree on fire because ghosts like chucking lightning bolts at millennium old shrubbery.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 01:43 PM)Benton Wrote: Ah, guessed I missed that.

Then that Yoda scene makes even less sense. Either he didn't know the books weren't in the tree and set it on fire because he thought they were, or he knew they were and set the tree on fire because ghosts like chucking lightning bolts at millennium old shrubbery.

Yea, the books are in the Falcon, but I think Yoda meant it in more ways than one. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 11:41 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Ehhh not really there will always be force sensitive people but the JEDI were an order and the JEDI are all gone.

just because you are force sensitive doesn't mean your a jedi.  jedi is the result of years of training and controlled emotion (they aren't necessary the good guys)

Think about it like the evolution of Christianity.

Eventually there were other disciplines beside the Roman Catholic Church.

Think of Luke as being Martin Luther, and Rey will be using the same Bible to teach things a little differently.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 11:21 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Think about it like the evolution of Christianity.

Eventually there were other disciplines beside the Roman Catholic Church.

Think of Luke as being Martin Luther, and Rey will be using the same Bible to teach things a little differently.

I prefer not to mix my fictions
Reply/Quote
Watched it again because my gf wanted to see it (I was shocked since she has always hated Star Wars)...

It really is two different movies put together. One really good and one really terrible. The whole Rey/Kylo/Luke half of the movie was just so good. Every scene with Finn/Rose/Poe/Holdo was so incredibly bad that it really drags down the movie.

[Image: 12f.jpg]
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote