Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Starting to Think We Go QB Early
(04-08-2019, 07:54 PM)XsandOs Wrote: To get good value for your slot, the Team that is picking after you, has to have a need for a player/position that others crave.

Since GB is picking after us, no QB needy Team will move to our spot. It will cost them less to move to 12 than 11.

like any other sector, there is a lot of propaganda to create panic. Teams will pay these draft "experts" to project players to certain Teams that are picking immediately after them, to increase trade value for their slot.

I wouldn't be at all surprised that Denver is behind the Bengal interest in QB mocks.

Anyway, since GB has Rodgers, unless a Josh Allen, Ferrell or Bosa fall past Denver, it will be tough for us to get good value in a trade back.

That line of thinking will get you jumped....Green Bay could trade THEIR spot as well to someone needing a QB should the Bengals pass.  Sometimes it is best to stay one spot ahead.  I can almost guarantee the Dolphins, with a new coach, will be looking to move up to draft a QB.  The cool thing is, the Jets probably won't want to help a division rival and trade with them at #3, even though they have made it clear they would shop their spot.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 02:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: We got rid of Burfict, we are drafting a WILL in the 1st round. Probably Devin Bush....

I think this as well. Wish White will be still there, but that’s probably not going to happen. I’m ok though with Bush (heh-heh).
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 09:55 PM)Bengals731 Wrote: Chiefs had Alex Smith and drafted Mahomes anyway.. Alex Smith was a good QB for them but he wasn't elite, you need elite to win a SB unless you have a great defense and we don't.

They also didn't have as many holes in the roster as we do. They were a qb away. We aren't.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 11:39 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: most mock drafts are completely wrong just remember that as they are all just someones opinion

What? No way!  There has never been a bogus mock draft in the history of mocks! 
Well ,except for the ones that are always wrong . The ones that are always right are...non-existent.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 07:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That line of thinking will get you jumped....Green Bay could trade THEIR spot as well to someone needing a QB should the Bengals pass.  Sometimes it is best to stay one spot ahead.  I can almost guarantee the Dolphins, with a new coach, will be looking to move up to draft a QB.  The cool thing is, the Jets probably won't want to help a division rival and trade with them at #3, even though they have made it clear they would shop their spot.  

That's my entire point. Since GB has no need for a QB, no team would feel the need to move ahead of them to secure their target QB.

If we want a QB, as some mocks suggest, then interested Teams would need to move ahead of us to get their guy. That makes the Denver pick valuable.

If we pass on a QB, then the GB slot becomes valuable for a trade up, by QB needy Teams.

So in essence, we can't sell GB as potentially picking a QB, thus our slot isn't as valuable as Denver's. GB can sell Miami as QB needy Team, and therefore their pick is valuable.

Lastly, if we are intent on picking a QB, we won't trade back.
Reply/Quote
I think they trade all the way to #1 and draft a punter.. Mike Brown assumes the role of the king of the city state of Cincinnati with Zac as his new henchman.. 
On the outside chance of that not happening they probably stand pat and pick someone to sit on the bench for 2 years before finally getting cut in favor of someone undeserving of a new 3 year contract that pisses off every Bengal fan.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 07:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That line of thinking will get you jumped....Green Bay could trade THEIR spot as well to someone needing a QB should the Bengals pass.  Sometimes it is best to stay one spot ahead.  I can almost guarantee the Dolphins, with a new coach, will be looking to move up to draft a QB.  The cool thing is, the Jets probably won't want to help a division rival and trade with them at #3, even though they have made it clear they would shop their spot.  

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but past history shows that GB has taken a QB in the 1st round even though they had an entrenched super-HOF QB as a starter.

(04-09-2019, 09:38 AM)grampahol Wrote: What? No way!  There has never been a bogus mock draft in the history of mocks! 
Well ,except for the ones that are always wrong . The ones that are always right are...non-existent.. 

This is how I feel.  We shouldn't even bother talking about the 2019 draft nor the 2019 season until they are both over.  Can't see the future, so why even attempt to make educated guesses on things?  Anyways, I'm off to hit myself in the wiener with a hammer now because I can't see the future and it might feel awesome.
Reply/Quote

Paul Dehner has this chart in his explanation after taking Will Grier at 42...The Chart points to Grier is the most accurate passer in college football in 2018.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/04/08/mock-draft-3-0-cincinnati-bengals-take-quarterback-nfl-draft/3401254002/
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 10:23 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying it's going to happen, but past history shows that GB has taken a QB in the 1st round even though they had an entrenched super-HOF QB as a starter.

This is how I feel.  We shouldn't even bother talking about the 2019 draft nor the 2019 season until they are both over.  Can't see the future, so why even attempt to make educated guesses on things?  Anyways, I'm off to hit myself in the wiener with a hammer now because I can't see the future and it might feel awesome.

Would that be a ball peen hammer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 12:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: How many good LBs are in this draft?  I've seen the top LB not making it past #5 or so.

After both Devin White and Devin Bush the talent at lb drops off considerably. I would love to trade up to get White but if they sit at 11 there is a good chance they can get Bush who even though he may be a little undersized is still fast and is really good in coverage which is what we need. We need a lb with speed who can fall back in coverage against a tight end and Bush can do this. Plus he is an outstanding tackler and is great at reading plays. So I would be happy to get him if there is no way to get White. Then they can focus on getting a qb in the later rounds because I hope they do not reach with Haskins because he just gives me a deja vu feel with Akili Smith, a true one year qb with a great college season but nothing else to show for. I just think we need to address lb first or even offensive tackle or even defensive end because they are a real need for this team to begin with because I want to see how Andy plays in the system of Zac Taylor before they give up on him and I do think he will excel in it because it plays to his strengths. Also, one last thing regarding Haskins, I am seeing a lot of reports that say it is more love from the media for him than actual teams which is a red flag in my opinion. Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 11:45 AM)Synric Wrote:
Paul Dehner has this chart in his explanation after taking Will Grier at 42...The Chart points to Grier is the most accurate passer in college football in 2018.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/04/08/mock-draft-3-0-cincinnati-bengals-take-quarterback-nfl-draft/3401254002/

On paper he sounds like Andy Dalton 2.0.  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 12:26 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Would that be a ball peen hammer?

*claps*
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 12:26 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Would that be a ball peen hammer?

Of course it is...don't be stupid. Side note, I actually finished a rock opera recently and one of the lines of a song involves the statement "hit your wiener with a ball-peen hammer." It doesn't make much more sense in context, though.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 12:50 PM)Big Boss Wrote: On paper he sounds like Andy Dalton 2.0.  

They are similar physically but very different otherwise.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 12:50 PM)Big Boss Wrote: On paper he sounds like Andy Dalton 2.0.  

He does a lot. Smaller QB average arm strength but he does have better accuracy. Probably drafted in round 2 as well. I’m want someone woth a bigger arm. Haskins or Jones.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 12:50 PM)Big Boss Wrote: On paper he sounds like Andy Dalton 2.0.  

The only thing Andy and Will Grier have in common coming out of college is they are both 6'2.

On tape Grier looks more like Matt Ryan above average arm, very accurate at all 3 levels, and great touch. 

The two biggest things holding Grier back are the fact he will be a 24 year old rookie and needing a year to develope like most college air raid QBs. That means he would be at least 25 before hes ready to take an NFL snap.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
It does not matter if it is Andy, Haskins, Murray or Fred at QB if we don't have a solid line to give them time. Without a good line any QB will get David Carr syndrome.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 10:36 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: He does a lot.  Smaller QB average arm strength but he does have better accuracy.  Probably drafted in round 2 as well.    I’m want someone woth a bigger arm.   Haskins or Jones.

Daniel Jones does not have a big arm. He tested well below average in that category and it shows on tape. 

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 07:54 PM)XsandOs Wrote: To get good value for your slot, the Team that is picking after you, has to have a need for a player/position that others crave.

Since GB is picking after us, no QB needy Team will move to our spot. It will cost them less to move to 12 than 11.

like any other sector, there is a lot of propaganda to create panic. Teams will pay these draft "experts" to project players to certain Teams that are picking immediately after them, to increase trade value for their slot.

I wouldn't be at all surprised that Denver is behind the Bengal interest in QB mocks.

Anyway, since GB has Rodgers, unless a Josh Allen, Ferrell or Bosa fall past Denver, it will be tough for us to get good value in a trade back.

You are assuming another QB team is not going to trade to get to 11 knowing another  12th pick targeted.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 12:50 PM)Big Boss Wrote: On paper he sounds like Andy Dalton 2.0.  

That's the most common comp for him. And if you watch him you'll see it. Dalton's best qualities coming out was his accuracy, anticipation, experience, record, and poise. And his biggest question marks were his arm strength.

I think people take this comp as a shot against Grier (because of their feelings on Dalton).

It's not That's why they both were considered 2nd round picks.

If he was that much better than Dalton coming out, he'd be a first round lock in this weak QB class.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote